Author Topic: Peugeot TD pump parts to make EcoDiesel pump a TD pump?  (Read 7007 times)

March 03, 2012, 12:37:58 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

Peugeot TD pump parts to make EcoDiesel pump a TD pump?
« on: March 03, 2012, 12:37:58 pm »
Heres a pic of my partially disassembled Peugeot TD pump from a Peugeot 505 TD (not sure what year). The Bosch p/n on it is 

0 460 494 159

Which digit denotes the plunger diameter and how do you decipher it? I had it written down some where but can't find it at the moment.

Anyway, is it possible to take the Peugeot pump's top cover with the aneroid and put it on my Ecodiesel pump to get fuel enrichment?

Here's a pic of the plunger. Per the vernier caliper reading, it is 9 mm. Am I measuring at the correct spot?

Reply #1March 03, 2012, 01:33:44 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Peugeot TD pump parts to make EcoDiesel pump a TD pump?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:33:44 pm »
are you POSITIVE thats a 505TD pump?

because its 100% different than mine.. it should have a 10mm plunger.. and a red handle on the mechanical shut-off.

everything about that pump is wrong to lead me to believe its a Pug 505 pump..

every 505 ive ever seen, had the same pump.. even the autos and manuals had the same pump, just with a couple different brackets..

im leaning towards that being a renault/jeep injection pump actually, not a 505TD

this is a 505TD auto pump..

anyways, that 3rd set of numbers

0 460 494 159

the 9 is the plunger size..

and your ECO pump is only an 8mm plunger.. the LDA really wont even do much on an 8mm pump.. plus, you will have to deal with the max fuel limiter pin in the side of the pump body also.. the LDA will do NOTHING with that pin still in the side of the pump..

if it were me, i would fit that LDA to a modified n/a pump, or just buy a REAL TD pump..

sorry, but that pump you got, isnt what you were told it is.. i DO KNOW that for a fact.. its not a peugeot pump at all, let alone a 505TD pump..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2March 03, 2012, 01:54:04 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 01:54:04 pm »
I am not positive if that is a peugeot pump. It was given to me by a peugeot mechanic though.

I also have an 84 Peugeot 604 td pump.
0 460  404 012. I think the 6 th digit being a  "0" means it's a 10 millimeter pump?'

I also have a 85 505 td pump. 0 460 404 033 which is also a 10 millimeter pump?

I'll see if I can get some pictures of these 2.

Reply #3March 03, 2012, 02:15:49 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »
that pump i posted pics of, is DEFINITELY a 505TD pump.. notice how yours is 100% different? i ran the numbers, and got references to renault/jeep diesels.. so assuming its off a renault for now.. its a 9mm pump tho for sure..

the other pumps you got, there 10mm..

read what i said in the last post..

x xxx 494 xxx = 9mm pump for a 4 cylinder engine..

the 3rd group of numbers the 494, that is always where you find the pump plunger size..

so, 494, means 4 cylinder pump, 9mm plunger, and i forget what the last 4 means..

the pump plunger size will always be in the same group of numbers..

the 404 033 and 404 012 pumps are both Peugeot.. i ran the numbers on google.. confirms pug used them.

the 033 and 012 pumps should be very close in resemblance as my pump that i posted pictures of..

but yes, both of the 404 pumps have a 10mm plunger.. but you really dont need a 10mm plunger on an ecodiesel.. it would be pointless. you would never be able to burn all the fuel it will be capable of supplying, and timing will be hit-and-miss.. there is no timing spec for these pumps on a VW engine.. and the Pug timing spec is pointless for a VW engine.

i have a fairly hopped up engine in my VW, and im still running my stock 9mm injection pump.. they are capable of amazing power in stock form with a few tweeks.. my pump started out life as a n/a pump, and i modified the governor, knocked out the fuel limiter pin, cranked up the fuel screw, and did a few other small mods..

i believe you dan modify the aneroid on the ECO pump to work as a LDA, rather than altitude compensation..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4March 03, 2012, 09:49:40 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 09:49:40 pm »
I have further disassembled the "Renault" pump for practice. I am trying to get the top cover off. How do I separate it? It seems to be held up by the item "governor tension lever" which is the piece marked "676" in the pic. I can't move the cover anymore than what's shown in the pic.

Edit: Come to think of it. I think I need to remove the fuel screw at the top of the pic. Would that do it or is there something else that needs to be removed to get the cover off?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:52:39 pm by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Reply #5March 03, 2012, 11:36:00 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:36:00 pm »
Yep
that assembly needs to come out first.

A blind question -
does it look like one of the Pug pumps will bolt/mount directly ?

Reply #6March 03, 2012, 11:58:16 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:58:16 pm »
Undo the 10mm nut on the throttle shaft, remove the throttle lever and the springs, push the throttle shaft down through the lid of the pump. I've had quite a few of these apart and back together, my own pump 3 times in one day :O and I always do the throttle lever first on dissasembly.

Reply #7March 04, 2012, 11:06:32 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:32 pm »
Undo the 10mm nut on the throttle shaft, remove the throttle lever and the springs, push the throttle shaft down through the lid of the pump. I've had quite a few of these apart and back together, my own pump 3 times in one day :O and I always do the throttle lever first on dissasembly.

Thanks! I should have known that since I replaced the top cover seal on my EcoDiesel pump back in July- August 11.

More pics of the Renault pump disassembly. The goal is complete disassembly (hopefully without breaking anything) and then putting it back together. If successful, I will disassemble/ re-asssemble it again for more practice.

Reply #8March 04, 2012, 11:11:31 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 11:11:31 pm »
Yep

A blind question -

Bolt onto a VW? No way. The Pug or the Renault pump that I am playing with has a gear drive on a straight shaft with a key, not a taper shaft like the VW.

Reply #9March 05, 2012, 12:56:34 am

bajacalal

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:56:34 am »
Parts for the turbo-diesel Renaults that came in Cherokees are even more rare than Pug TD parts... so don't destroy it, you may have some more luck selling it. Those engines also came in these funny little Winnebago motorhomes.

Reply #10March 05, 2012, 02:51:26 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 02:51:26 pm »
Yep

A blind question -

Bolt onto a VW? No way. The Pug or the Renault pump that I am playing with has a gear drive on a straight shaft with a key, not a taper shaft like the VW.

no, it wont directly work on a VW.. but the drive cog on the front of the pump, it un bolts and pops off the shaft fairly easy.. i have a VW pump sprocket sitting on my Pug pump.. with the right modifications, the Pug pump can be used fairly easy i would think..

check out this picture, look at the pump snout.. its not a bolt on and go for the VW bracket.. it needs the bracket modified, but could work..

Reply #11March 05, 2012, 03:07:13 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:13 pm »
Hey guys just out of curiosity.. way use this pug pump? Is it known for being  leaps and bounds greater than that of Volkswagen ??

Reply #12March 05, 2012, 08:23:14 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:14 pm »
Hey guys just out of curiosity.. way use this pug pump? Is it known for being  leaps and bounds greater than that of Volkswagen ??

the pug pump i have, is already 10mm..

and the LDA pin, you can rotate, and get different slopes from it.. one side of the LDA pin is moderate fueling, and the other side is aggressive fueling..

Reply #13March 05, 2012, 11:01:01 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »
What are the throttle and governor like? What size engine is this pump from?

Reply #14March 06, 2012, 08:41:43 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 08:41:43 pm »
Hey guys just out of curiosity.. way use this pug pump? Is it known for being  leaps and bounds greater than that of Volkswagen ??

I don't know a single thing about them.
But was wondering if they would mount fairly easily - they'd be another candidate for M-TDI pump like the Rover Pump thats been mentioned in your M-TDI thread.

Probably not the case - as far as simplicity.
But the pump heads being 10mm - could make them good candidates for swapping onto 1.6 TD pumps. Probably a little easier and cheaper to find those - versus making an AHU Pump useless after pulling the head from it to swap onto TD Pump.

Always good to have more options.

Fixmyvw.com