S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: IRS instead of twist beam  (Read 4609 times)

Reply #15March 05, 2012, 08:40:17 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

Re: IRS instead of twist beam
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 08:40:17 pm »
I've got reatively new shocks, less than a year old.  I don't think that's the issue.  However the springs I changed to were a higher spring rate and higher initial load holding than the ones these replaced in the rear.  I think this may be part of the problem because now it seem the back end has an effect on what the front end is doing. 

I find this strange, because on my jetta I have coilovers on all sides and on some roads (the coilovers are much higher springrate and load from stock) this does much better that the car I currently drive.  I think I might need to change the rear springs to a softer spring and that may solve this issue.

Thanks for all the replies - from this and some of the reading I've done - I tend to agree, sounds like twist beam RS is better is more respects than one.
Is the MK3 different than the MK2 twist beam?  I know the track is a wee bit wider, but did anything else change?  It seem a bit better than the MK2 ride as well.
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #16March 05, 2012, 09:10:27 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 09:10:27 pm »
I've got reatively new shocks, less than a year old.  I don't think that's the issue.  However the springs I changed to were a higher spring rate and higher initial load holding than the ones these replaced in the rear.  I think this may be part of the problem because now it seem the back end has an effect on what the front end is doing. 

I find this strange, because on my jetta I have coilovers on all sides and on some roads (the coilovers are much higher springrate and load from stock) this does much better that the car I currently drive.  I think I might need to change the rear springs to a softer spring and that may solve this issue.

Thanks for all the replies - from this and some of the reading I've done - I tend to agree, sounds like twist beam RS is better is more respects than one.
Is the MK3 different than the MK2 twist beam?  I know the track is a wee bit wider, but did anything else change?  It seem a bit better than the MK2 ride as well.

the beam is just wider..

and the reason a mk3 rides better, is because the car is heavier..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17March 06, 2012, 01:32:04 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:04 am »
dont mean to stir the pot, but..

ive heard the EXACT OPPOSITE..

Don't lie, you do mean to stir the pot. In all seriousness the challenger is out of the question it's purely a boulevard cruiser, there is nothing sporting about it except 0-60 times, I haven't driven the new camaro.

Reply #18March 06, 2012, 08:07:14 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 08:07:14 am »

Sounds like the problem isn't with the rear it is with the front. On your coilover car all the suspension was upgraded. On your other car it sounds like you just did the rear. If the front is squishy, like my MK4 is all the way around, the rear will have a more profound impact on the handling characteristics. If you match the front spring with the rear spring it will probably solve your issue.

Reply #19March 07, 2012, 04:04:40 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 04:04:40 pm »
You are correct.  The Mk2 i drive looked like a rear drive car as the springs were 'sagging' in the back.  so i replaced them and the shocks; and what you are suggesting sounds like it would fix my issue.  This is my beater car, daily driver during the winter during excessive salt season in Canada.  However upgrading the front springs and shocks isn't too costly and will need to get some once spring rolls around and salt season ends!
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.