Author Topic: My return to Diesels :)  (Read 9744 times)

February 27, 2012, 04:54:52 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

My return to Diesels :)
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:54:52 pm »
Story time,

Bought a 90 turbo diesel, with 480 k on the chassis and engine [with a rebuilt head] worked the kinks out of that, turned out to have rear frame damage from a rear ender.

I've done a lot with that car in the short year i've owned it.

Drove from Vancovuer to edmonton,

Drove from Vancouver to Northern california for an In n Out burger

Replaced;

-the transmission with another diesel transmission [since 5th gear went out]

-suspension with a Bilstein and HR combination cup kit

-steering tie rod ends

-front brakes for vented and cross drilled

-few other goodies aswell but then when I wanted to replace the rear drums for discs, the proportioning valve went.

Because of the nature of other parts that failed at the time, [heater core and cooling system in general] i sold that car with the engine, but kept the brakes/downpipe/exhaust/suspension/missing links shift kit/ and a few other goodies.

When I did let the car go, I had it towed to a parts supplier strictly for the engine and some other components since the chassis was essentially fuct.

Pictures.........

Pre lowering, semi polish

Added roof racks, and cargo box

winter mode winter 2011 season

cell phone shot of the lowering and a little cut polish on the car

I do have a slew of other photos of this car when I stripped the interior to clean out half a million km's worth of grime and diesel soot from the car...but here are a few of them....

Then afterwards, I needed a car. Since I liked mk2's at the time, I thought I'd search for a 1990 to 92 golf, or jetta. Both in 4 door. I preferred a 92 since in vancouver, they qualify for 2 years of emissions passing....or Aircare here locally. I guess it would be similar to SMOG tests elsewhere?

So I picked up a 1992 8V Digi2 Jetta, tornado red, with 252k on the engine and chassis. The car is solid aside from general wear and tear..... Scratches and dents, and other minor details.

immediately after having this car, I put in my suspension bits, including the HR/Bilstein combination, and replaced the front lower control arms for another set I had that included R32 rear bushings, and new front bushings.

replaced the front solid rotors for the vented rotors with the corresponding pads,

OLD

NEW

that very night as well I went and flushed the brake fluid and replaced the master cylinder with a 22 mm that i had kicking around. The brake fluid that was currently in the car was cola colored and made it easy for me to swap and change. Surprisingly all 4 brake bleed screws cracked with ease and the fluid flush was very easy to accomplish.

When it is winter time, I drive a lot, because of my snowboarding adventures. So in the 6-7 short months I've owned it [September to Feb] I put on 13k on the car.

The car is pretty fuel efficient for being 20 years old, with archaic technology, as it averaged 9 liters/100km in the city, and 7-7.5 liters/100km on the highway. And it had pep, the one thing that my turbo diesel didn't have.

Fast forward to Feb 2012

A few friends of mine [a couple actually] have been involved in diesels for the last 6 years, and most recently they needed to get themselves a car that was necessary to consider a family. So they went out and purchased a 2009 Jetta Wagon comfortline with optional panoramic sunroof, and ESP.

Because of that, they still have a 1996 Windsor blue AAZ turbo disesel that is sitting in their garage.

Their car is not perfect, but it's been VERY well maintained, and very well taken care of for a car with 360km on the block and chassis.

I have been considering another diesel for quite some time, and when this opportunity came up, I was first to snag it.

The car has been maintained through and through, and they've done the following;

-rebuilt cylinder head with all new valve seals within the last 10k
-2.5 inch k03 downpipe and 2.5 inch VR6 exhaust no cat
-EGT gauge and boost gauge mounted on A pillar
-coolante flushed an filled running on g12+
-working AC
-motor mounts replaced with harder durometer VR option
-cold weather package for more efficiency for winter driving
-rebuild injectors all balanced
-new glow plugs
-new optima red top batter with more CCA's
-Suspension bushings replaced with graphite impregnated harder durometer options.
-coil overs installed [these are the first generation JOM's with different valving for the spring rates
-OEM Hella fog lights, relayed
-Ecodes, relayed

and that's essentially it. They've meticulously maintained the car, but it's not suitable for their lifestyle at the point in their marriage.

So their making me an offer that I couldn't refuse, and with the sale of my gasser it's making up half of the cost of this car :)

I don't have pictures yet of this car, as I'm awaiting the transfer of ownership on March 1st, so expect them then.

I just thought I'd share the return to an oil burner :)

Dennis

Reply #1March 14, 2012, 12:11:04 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

Re: My return to Diesels :)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:04 pm »
Winter mode.

Getting a set of Canadian Recaro seats from a Corrado

Refinishing these wheels to original color, grey center with polished lips [one has curbing, one has a very minor bend in the lip]

Reply #2March 19, 2012, 08:44:50 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:44:50 pm »
What wheels are those? (the last picture)
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #3March 19, 2012, 10:08:42 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »
please tell me those are not your makeshift cluster lights there, affixed to the trim bezel?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4March 20, 2012, 12:12:56 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:12:56 am »
please tell me those are not your makeshift cluster lights there, affixed to the trim bezel?

$1.25 at Dollorama! lol

Reply #5March 20, 2012, 11:33:23 am

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:33:23 am »
What wheels are those? (the last picture)

Those are schmidts. the model is unknown. I haven't yet emailed schmidt to find out what specific style they are, but they are 15x7 et 34.

$1.25 at Dollorama! lol

haha. the mk2 DID have that makeshift cluster light in it. the dash lights never worked, and i was too lazy to replace them. as it was a temporary car till i found something more suitable.

Reply #6April 16, 2012, 12:04:21 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 12:04:21 pm »
some pictures.

Reply #7April 16, 2012, 09:13:28 pm

One_punchmachinegun

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:13:28 pm »
car is clean  ;D soon ill have my car up here once the engine is in the car.  8)
“If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world." Jesus Christ

Reply #8April 17, 2012, 09:25:46 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 09:25:46 pm »
I do believe those are called Castellettes. (sp?)

Reply #9April 18, 2012, 05:24:39 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:39 pm »
I do believe those are called Castellettes. (sp?)

nope

VW Castellet

My Schmidts

Reply #10April 18, 2012, 06:00:25 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »
Ahh they look very similar. SORRY! :D

Reply #11April 19, 2012, 12:40:00 am

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 12:40:00 am »
Ahh they look very similar. SORRY! :D

hey no worries.

people often say they look like the 15x6 vw passat hammer wheels as well.

i emailed schmidt with a picture of the wheels to see what they can conclude.

if i don't get anything back in reply then im simply going to call it whatever i feel like.

Reply #12May 10, 2012, 06:33:46 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

New-ish photo
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

Reply #13May 30, 2012, 03:32:46 pm

Vangruver

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 03:32:46 pm »

Reply #14May 31, 2012, 07:02:50 pm

Blocksmith

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Wrench Lurker
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 07:02:50 pm »
It's tasteful cars like this that made me rethink my position on mk3 jettas. Very, very nice  :D 
Green 83 Rabbit 4dr, 5 speed ACH trans swap, ported 1.6D mech lifter w/ vnt15, na pump w/ gov mod, gasser intake mani, 2.5" exhaust, bilstein sports and cut mk2 springs, ss brake lines, 14" vw bottlecaps

S-PAutomotive.com