Author Topic: The plastic bottle hone and cognitive thrift vs cheapness discussion  (Read 14675 times)

Reply #75October 24, 2013, 09:05:39 am

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    AAZ 1.9, HE 200 Turbo, 82 Vanagon, AAP 5 speed
Re: The plastic bottle hone and cognitive thrift vs cheapness discussion
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2013, 09:05:39 am »
Mark,
Looking forward to your perspectives. I ran an antique lathe in a sawmill that had a model T transmission, Babbitt bearings, and a leather belt drive. With some effort, I could still turn parts within .002 and zero taper. Hell, I even made a two-start acme rod and bronze nut for the planer.  I enjoy reading your posts - welcome back
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #76October 24, 2013, 09:42:13 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 09:42:13 am »
There was one exception to this, and, I admit I became irritating to this person. I regret this, especially as amazingly, there was a time that we were friends,[or so I thought] and shared similar ideas, until he stabbed me in the back.Shocked ...

Well this is how it starts. Comments like that above are a jab, and if you persist you will be banned again. This time it will be for good as you have had your chance before. I gave you a one week ban, it is still noted as such in the ban log. If there was a computer glitch I am sorry, but I didn't have anything to do with the computer glitch. The jab would be different if it had not been hashed out a million times and it doesn't need to be again, I will not put up with it. I am a firm believer in learning and chances, here is your shot.

Reply #77October 24, 2013, 10:51:19 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:19 am »
There was one exception to this, and, I admit I became irritating to this person. I regret this, especially as amazingly, there was a time that we were friends,[or so I thought] and shared similar ideas, until he stabbed me in the back.Shocked ...

Well this is how it starts. Comments like that above are a jab, and if you persist you will be banned again. This time it will be for good as you have had your chance before. I gave you a one week ban, it is still noted as such in the ban log. If there was a computer glitch I am sorry, but I didn't have anything to do with the computer glitch. The jab would be different if it had not been hashed out a million times and it doesn't need to be again, I will not put up with it. I am a firm believer in learning and chances, here is your shot.

I don't understand. I was just saying what my reasons were back then in reply to your recent statement.I also said "I regret,... as we were once friends" The events I believe predate your presence. If you read my last post you would see I'm willing to bury the hatchet, an olive branch, move on etc.

"Let's just move on down the same street, albeit on opposite pavements, and perhaps one day, road works will funnel us onto the same path..."

Why do you not comment on the personal abuse by Dakota kid etc? 

Did my experimentation with the heatshields, not benefit all? Same with thin shims for injector adjustment. I've just looked it up and it turns out that book I referred to was at one stage the most sought out text for motor bike tuners pre Japanese stuff.

I repeat I too want to move on and forget historic events if  I may, thank you ...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #78October 24, 2013, 11:05:40 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2013, 11:05:40 am »
Yes, let's move on.

Everyone, this is not hard...
1) Talk about cars, not people.
2) Facts will speak for themselves; document the work, show the results.

Back on topic:
I'm planning rings and a hone on my TD this winter. Bottle?... maybe, maybe not....

Last time I had the head off the other engine, I tried pouring hot paraffin on the piston tops to seal the gap from abrasive. That did NOT work... the wax shrinks. I chose to not use abrasive to clean the block mating surface.

Reply #79October 24, 2013, 05:03:16 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »

I'd try the split, and sprung piston method, only I have no spares. The book also mentions short sleeve inserts in the top of the bore. Porous chrome plating as well come to think of it.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:32:31 pm by 8v-of-fury »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #80October 24, 2013, 07:48:22 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2013, 07:48:22 pm »

Mark, welcome back!  The noise you hear, is it above the normal diesel tick?  I redid the rings a bit back and I have a strange new possibly lower end noise that I am trying to source out with the use of a long solid bar that I put my ear to, hoping to find the source.  Engine runs good and gets me 34 MPG US Gallons in the city.  Have not had it on the Highway since for the upper range.   

So you been lurking?  Or PM back?
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in answering.
My  noise is from up near the top of the engine and makes the tin manifold heatshields ring like a sound box.
 It is a ticking that persists even with ignition off, and engine slowing car down in gear.

I'm now sure it is a mild form of piston rings hitting the old wear mark. The rings were Grant ones with the recessed leading edge for the top ring which eliminates the need to completely remove the top bore ridge.[I eased mine slightly].

However it is my theory, that as they wear and themselves sink into the wall they will get taller, and begin to knock on the top of the ridge, be it the new one or the old one.

WRT your knock, if you stand about 5 ft in front of your car, with the hood down, and audio record the idle for about 10 seconds, I can listen to it here and determine if it is on one or all cylinders. Your mpg is about 41 imp, which is about book for urban driving, but as your towns are bigger than ours I'd expect better... More like 38+American.
Turbo or n/a? injector pressures? timing?
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #81October 25, 2013, 06:38:34 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2013, 06:38:34 pm »
Wait...wait.....he has not had the opportunity to make a piston out of a Vienna sausage can yet......

Why do you not comment on the personal abuse by Dakota kid etc? 

Because you're on the "I will ban you for thinking" radar.. Other people say this forum is the bomb diggedy for information, ingenuity and a damn good bunch of people..

Guess what guys? None of you are living up to this expectation. Is this the TDIclub? The Vortex?! Put your willies back in your pants, and face it that you've had ideas (that if you had the cahones to voice them) that would have been called "stupid" or "a waste of time"

Grow Up. Stop whining. Post about the topics at hand, not about your hurt feelings or grudges held. Live and let live, heard it? Do it.

Reply #82October 25, 2013, 07:14:38 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2013, 07:14:38 pm »
Mark, your'e certainly an expert compared to my short diesel life-span, but could the noise be a loose pre-cup? Obviously if it's still there when under load (or so I've been told), then it's not a bad injector. If it's a ring hitting the barrel ridge wouldn't that go away fairly soon? The piston ring land is a thin bit of aluminum and should move south with a few hits - especially after a few 5K runs.

Just shooting at flying pigs here.
Jim W - 82 Vanagon Westy - AAZ 1.9, Mild head port, Cummins Holset HE200WE turbo, Frozen Boost WAIC, 10" Charge-pipe intake, Ball bearing IM shaft, Giles Pump, 215/70R16, AAP 5 speed Trans. 22 lbs max boost

Reply #83October 25, 2013, 08:10:11 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2013, 08:10:11 pm »
Mark, your'e certainly an expert compared to my short diesel life-span, but could the noise be a loose pre-cup? Obviously if it's still there when under load (or so I've been told), then it's not a bad injector. If it's a ring hitting the barrel ridge wouldn't that go away fairly soon? The piston ring land is a thin bit of aluminum and should move south with a few hits - especially after a few 5K runs.

Just shooting at flying pigs here.

If no-one shot at  the pigs, there could be no bacon. I don't think pre-cup because I've changed heads this summer. Here are two links [I hope]

This is the 'new' complete head, which failed to cure the knock...
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Quantum-man/media/IMGP2506_zps61449767.mp4.html

And here's the sound 'in vision'http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Quantum-man/media/IMGP2505_zps4a50dfac.mp4.html

Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #84October 25, 2013, 08:27:19 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2013, 08:27:19 pm »
Sounds tinny at first but just as you begin to add throttle, it gets more steel-on-steel like. Once reved it does seem to dissipate but it may just be my old ears (too much listening).
Could a piston ring slap a ridge that hard (and often) without busting something?

Reply #85October 25, 2013, 08:52:31 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2013, 08:52:31 pm »
The timing dial gauge was a great idea...the forum was a perfect format for sharing the information far and wide.  i am sure everyone appreciated it being out there and we thank the folks who proposed and refined the idea.  Later on there was someone in Bosnia who posted the same idea coming to it independently of previous posts.

Where else could we get that kind of idea exchange (about obsolete diesel motors of all things) from an arc of knowledge going 1/2 way around the globe.  This forum at its best.

8)

Reply #86October 25, 2013, 09:04:41 pm

Gizmoman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2013, 09:04:41 pm »
The timing dial gauge was a great idea...the forum was a perfect format for sharing the information far and wide.  i am sure everyone appreciated it being out there and we thank the folks who proposed and refined the idea.  Later on there was someone in Bosnia who posted the same idea coming to it independently of previous posts.

Where else could we get that kind of idea exchange (about obsolete diesel motors of all things) from an arc of knowledge going 1/2 way around the globe.  This forum at its best.

8)

WoW. Well said.
Different characters all but I'd be lost without this site and everyone in it.

Reply #87October 25, 2013, 10:48:04 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 10:48:04 pm »
Mark, I was out this afternoon wrenching on the Rabbit, or is it wenching on the wabbit?  Anyway I thought I found the source of my noise in the lower end.  Took the oil pan down to check on the #4 crank area as it sounded as if the cap was loose.  Not so.  something inside the trans side is making the clicking and cracking I am hearing.  I put a new clutch in it about half a year back so I am now puzzled all the more as to what the heck I have going there.  I also found the loose bolt I have been chasing on the steering side.  I have had failure with some new strut cartridges and the steering column itself has been out recently.  I sourced my loose nut at the knuckle joint on the inside of the car ast the floorboard.  Obviously distracted when putting it back together.  No reason for it to come loose.

So I will have to ponder the new noise on the trans side.  Why didn't VW allow that cover plate to go on the bell housing without having to pull the bolt out of the starter and on the other side of the transmission?  Seems a lot of trouble to go through to peek in there.  When is the inspection plate when you need it?

later

Reply #88October 27, 2013, 06:04:01 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2013, 06:04:01 pm »
Welcome back Mark. ;)

I may even install my skew spray injector nozzles for a smileage experiment.

Would these skew spray jobbies be out of an old series landrover? ;D

Reply #89October 27, 2013, 08:55:22 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2013, 08:55:22 pm »
It would appear their number links to Leyland DAF 1.8... A totally uninspiring vehicle.

BDN0SPC 6651. I'm sure they'll fit a whole bunch of clamp on injectors.
I was actually bidding on 3 sets of nozzles, from the same guy, but the few seconds between them seemed to time shift and I missed rebidding on the VW 293's.

Because they are rotation sensitive, they should be used with locking pins, which of course doesn't exist with the screw in types. 
I'm trying to hold everything in line with some high tensile wire I've found. Now I'm trying to decide which way to fire the angled jet:
 A 'cord' with the flow or radial, with max flow in standard direction.

This engine's timing has never conformed [well not whilst in my ownership]
Mark-The-Miser-UK

S-PAutomotive.com