Author Topic: my never ending drama  (Read 5411 times)

February 20, 2012, 09:24:36 am

chrisg

• Junior

my never ending drama
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:24:36 am »
her name was annie

so this car has been my first car, and its really become its own personality. i've been through alot with this car, good and bad, i've learned tons, and have had alot of fun with it. i love it to death and feel like i'll never get rid of it, i may buy something else but i think i'll hold on to this one. <3

anyways, here's how it looked about a week after i bought it cleaned up.
she was a bit of basket case and missing alot of things
started out as a bone stock 1.6N/A from 1990. she's bare bones with no power anything

i bought this car in october of 2009 with money i saved over summer, i was bone dry and laid off work so i wasn't able to register and insure it until spring of 2010 so over the winter i was able to fix it up, it needed floor work, and brake work, and lots of lighting work. like i said... basket case
as i was being patient i had some fun and played with the trends

it lived in the back yard (close to the shop door) for the most of time i wasn't drivable but this was the day she was finally up and working (not legally drivable but working) so we winched it out of its frozen ruts with our jeep and got her on solid ground again

started doing some cleaning, and re-routed the intake for better flow

then i started to make her look old school, because i like anything old, new **** sucks so on with some small bumps and seven slat grill

continuing with the old school, welded this up out of an old seat stay from a bicycle

got it on the road in the spring, and she slowly started gathering a rep, and getting her own personality. sure it was ugly, but it was fun. experimenting with spray paint, and not really caring about the body, we jumped it, drifted it, were just straight up reckless with it, we'd go hunting for gravel roads

then the paint got real, and we went all out, flat black and checker roof, at this point its down on 60/40 drop springs too i think

i got really into the whole "rat" thing and she looked like this (yes i do ride the bike, its not just a show piece)

got paint happy again

then eventually finished the paint i started

NOW, this is where the build starts.
after some stupid **** from the summer i lost my license in november. so i got to drive it for like 6 months, then lost my license for 6 months after. in the end, it was a blessing in disguise. it allowed me to tear it apart and really do work
the day i lost my license i pulled her back in the yard and got to work

bought a 1.6TD off a friend and started building that on the side, here's some pics of the cleaning and stuff

mean while in the back yard i started cleaning out the bay, had to wait for an engine crane from my fathers work, so the engine stayed for awhile

rain tray was a ***, but its out

built this on the side to get around :mad:

intercooler bracket

ENGINE OUT (as the snow came in)

other engine coming together

started to focus on the interior

got some dirty welding done (first time trying)

Got a brilliant idea and purchased a set of seats from a '67 beetle

and this is how it sat

did some floor work

sloppy welds but the bay started to clean up

and then the bondo

interior started going back in

i got to sit and make vroom noises :cool:

wheels came back from the machine shop

engine back in :D

paint and mock up

she was working.... kinda... timing was out and it was air locked =[[[

started piecing together some rounds

street side stance

cleaned up a bit

almost finished bay

battery lives in the suit case

her first drive :D

got this spurr of the moment when my friend got her nose pierced

finally got a grille (fav picture)

then i had bad luck
i never did get the 1.6 to run well, and it was frustrating, because the old NA was BULLET  PROOF. and this was super sketchy. so eventually i blew 2 too many head gaskets and deemed a warmed head. instead of fixing it and chasing problems i found a 1997 toilet that was rotten, and had a 115xxx km 1.9td in it. swaped that over with in a day lol
not as pretty but it works great!

just in time for one last beach day

and as the winters went on and she went to winter mode, i admired a summer of camber

well going around a round-about today and BAM, a 6-wheel moving truck decided not to yield. and the rear bumber tagged the front of my car. bent the frame rail and well... shes done.

this car meant the world to me, it was my first, and shes become part of the family, and the community, its a sad lose. her heart will live on in a new shell though.

the day before the accident, fresh paint (was going to be the whole car when the temps warmed up outside)
also shes on winter wheels and tires so ignor the lack of wide

and after

and here's the new shell

tore the carpet out to clean and get a look, found some rot in the strut towers so took car of that, and got the carpet and seats all back in with a fresh vacuum.
later i started cleaning the crud out of the engine bay and will continue on that tomorrow after work

looks like theres a gap on the left, but its just a black mark.

engine is in, blew up the turbo though so it sits like this just needing to weld a new flange to my down pipe to run my T3

and whats left

Reply #1February 20, 2012, 10:32:16 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: my never ending drama
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:32:16 am »
Holy cow batman, lots of paint, lots of pics. I read it all.

Reply #2February 24, 2012, 01:10:57 pm

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:10:57 pm »
almost back!

Reply #3February 24, 2012, 06:37:34 pm

GTiTDi

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Schnell Snail TDI performance
    • My 91 GTI --> TDI swap thread
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 06:37:34 pm »
NICE MK2! i ALSO DIG THE BIKES! WHY AM I YELLING?
91 GTI/ AHU spec'd 1Z power, GT2052W w custom adapter (available through me, PM me for details),TDTUNING software, PP764 nozzles, Massive spearco FMIC, PD intake, Koni reds
97 B4VGLX AHU, RC3, 357's, PP'd head, Shine springs and Koni yellows

Reply #4February 25, 2012, 11:58:03 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:58:03 am »
What is with the fuel robbing spare tire and roof rack?  Veg oil tank in the spare tire area?  Looks like the Rabbit in the background needs some TLC as well.

Reply #5February 25, 2012, 12:13:35 pm

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »
not really worried about fuel, its turned up so much shes a guzzler. plus it usually has a bike up there too. the spare is for in the summer months when i run stretched tires and don't trust them so much, and no its not a rabbit, its the old car, and the new red one is a donor shell.

Reply #6February 25, 2012, 12:49:48 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 12:49:48 pm »
Somehow I missed the mass of pictures past the first three on the latest entry.  What did you use to paint the plastic interior parts?  Did it flake off over time.  Short on there but still did it stay on well over all?

Reply #7February 25, 2012, 09:29:47 pm

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »
i just used krylon and it actually worked really well! i was surprised the big cubby in the center console even held fine.

Reply #8March 06, 2012, 11:38:52 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
Re: Re: my never ending drama
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 11:38:52 pm »
Man I love this car. I watched your build on Vortex as well. I can't believe it got wrecked!

How were your steelies widened? Rebanded or what? Did it cost much? Anyway love your car and it's style.

Sent from my DROID X2

Reply #9March 07, 2012, 07:01:14 am

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:01:14 am »
yer, rebanded, lips cut off and 3" inch bands welded them back together aha.

all in all this is for the better. she was getting pretty rusty underneath, and was a wiring hack job (my fault) it was my first car and was an awesome one. i learned tons, and now i can take that knowledge over to a good solid shell, and i've finally found a really nice engine  ;)

Reply #10March 11, 2012, 12:32:02 am

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 12:32:02 am »
Oh my god... you took not 1 car but 2 cars and destroyed them. If you wanted a peice of *** I would have sold you my car.

Reply #11March 12, 2012, 09:38:08 pm

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:38:08 pm »
how have i destroyed the second one? its not even on the road yet? it doesn't even have an engine in it yet.... the main bearings spun in the old motor so its coming out and getting a new more built one with the crank sprocket already done and head studs and what not. shes gonna be a clean red golf will silver banded 13's with a gnarly AAZ under the hood... how is that ruined?

Reply #12March 20, 2012, 10:42:33 pm

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:33 pm »
so finally got her on the road.

the old banded 13x8.5's are going back on with some fresh 175/50/13 rubber from europe. they've been sand blasted and re painted an OEM silver

future plans.
get a head liner
fix my shotty headlight connector
get a new signal light socket
black carpet
fix as many squeaks and rattles i can
get a bike tray
fix any dents and get wet sanded and buffed (paint is kinda orange peelyish)
eventually try and source some chrome. euro bumps with chrome stripes and try to hunt down somw good chrome window seals and a set of small doors

Reply #13March 24, 2012, 02:27:52 pm

chrisg

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 02:27:52 pm »

Reply #14April 21, 2012, 03:02:11 am

Grey_Smoke

• Junior

• Personal Text
    fling wing for the win.
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 03:02:11 am »
The red car is very nice!  one question, what do you mean by small doors?
2001 TDI
86 Jetta Coupe TD - Still going together
sold - the Gutless wonder - 97 AAZ
An Oldvolks Home

Fixmyvw.com