Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Feeler: Rebuilt 1.6 na Mech Lifter Engine  (Read 3724 times)

February 18, 2012, 06:56:09 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

Feeler: Rebuilt 1.6 na Mech Lifter Engine
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:56:09 pm »
Haven't exactly decided what I'm doing yet, but I'd like to get some idea's of what to ask if I do decide to jettison some VW stuff...  The engine in question is from an 85 Jetta.. 12mm block, mech lifter..  Completely rebuilt, by me.. I have ASE certs on that subject if it really matters to anyone, although they are probably expired by now as I figured out long ago what they are really worth LOL.. So here's the rundown of what's in it...

1rst overbore using prothe pistons and grant rings
Head studs and rod studs (rods were resized and had new wrist pin bushings)
Head completely reworked, new guides, valves, seals, valve clearance set, pre cups peened in, yadda yadda
Line bore and crank checked for size and straightness, all in spec..
All new bearings, rods, mains (with proper 2 piece thrust), IM shaft
Oil pump was from a 100K mile 11mm engine with a cracked block..  It was dismantled, checked and cleaned
New GP's, Rebuilt injectors, one piece rubber v/c gasket..
New water pump and t-stat, with drain plug mods to make draining coolant easier

No IP, didn't get around to getting one put together, have a running one that was resealed with a gov mod that could go with..  I do have the new timing belt and tensioner to go with. as well as some hoses and a MK1 expansion tank.

Has all the respective brackets and water necks on it for a MK1 w/o a/c..  I have the Mk1 NA manifolds to go with it..  I might still have some of the MK2 stuff around from it as well...

I have the slips around for the machine work and most of the parts..  I know I'm not gonna get out of it what I have in it, but I'm looking for a rough idea of what to ask if I should decide to dump it..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:00:18 pm by maxfax »

Reply #1February 18, 2012, 11:35:19 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Feeler: Rebuilt 1.6 na Mech Lifter Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:35:19 pm »
I would think that to sell it you have to prove it runs.  Get that done and you shouldn't have trouble getting 5-600 out of it.  Not everyone can make them run after replacing all the parts like you did. 

If you really can't get it to run because the IP problem then I think you are looking more in the neighborhood of 400 on it. 

Reply #2February 18, 2012, 11:36:09 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:36:09 pm »
fyi.. ASE cert spooks the hell out of me.. met way too many stupid mechanics with those...

but since your in pa.. i waiting to see a price.. know someone who may be interested... unless its been dipped in gold... then will be too much..

Reply #3February 19, 2012, 12:04:22 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:04:22 am »
fyi.. ASE cert spooks the hell out of me.. met way too many stupid mechanics with those...

I know exactly what you mean!!   ;D   Way back when I was in college they pushed the heck out of ASE certs. Or course that's a sure fire was to get in with most dealers/franchise shops..  Makes the after graduation job placement look better you know.. I kept it up for a while, but those patches make lousy grease rags.. And no, I didn't go to Whatevertech or take my courses online...  ::)

ORcoaster, I was thinking the same thing..  Even for my own piece of mind, I'd like to have it run a bit before I'd pass it on to someone else..  I guess if someone would need to swap mounts/manifolds for an MK2 so be it..  I had planned to replace the crack motor in my bunny with this engine, and have one of my other pumps rebuilt for it so that everything would be fresh.. Since I'm not running that car anymore I guess I could just rob it's pump.. 

I haven't decided whether I'm ditching the VW stuff yet or not..  If I do, it would be nice to be able to ditch the whole lot (parts cars, random pieces, this engine, etc)..  Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, but it's nice driving a car that I don't have to monkey with on a regular basis, go to any parts store and they have what I need for it, not have to fret that the electrical system is going to have a total meltdown at any second..

Reply #4February 19, 2012, 12:36:41 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:36:41 am »
This is heresy!!!     

Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, but it's nice driving a car that I don't have to monkey with on a regular basis, go to any parts store and they have what I need for it, not have to fret that the electrical system is going to have a total meltdown at any second..

Moderator please help by screening this kind of dissenting talk from the forum. 

Well there goes another one, off to buy a Honda or Hyundai or worse yet a Chevy Volt.   

Reply #5February 19, 2012, 12:40:13 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:40:13 am »
Nothing that bad!!!  Ugh..   Nope, drivin my Caprice Wagon with woodgrain!  And probably in the next couple days I'll have tags on the diesel Cutlass..  Not that it'll be reliable, but it's a toy I can fit into much easier...

For the record, I looked at probably close a dozen TDI cars..  It was either more of the same, or more than I can get out of selling a kidney...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:45:07 am by maxfax »

Reply #6February 19, 2012, 02:48:44 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:44 am »
wow... sounds like your going backwards... LOL.. GM = SUX BALLS...

newer you get crappy electrics it is... by 2000 vw ones really BLOW.. and gm is far worse...

older idi vw diesels = daily forever... LOL.... once rotted in ground time for new shell... move rest good stuff over.. i dd a 1.6 idi na.. use my td or tdi-m for road trips..

but i call dibs on the engine till i know how much you want for it.. me in ne ohio.. so a rd trip to pick it up is easy.. just need a price to see if the value is there..

Reply #7February 19, 2012, 05:50:29 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 05:50:29 am »
Not much of a GM fan myself, but the pre 99 (pre overkill electrics) stuff isn't so bad.. Anything after that is pure garbage..  I've only opened the hood on the Craprice 6 times in the last 50K miles (5 oil changes, once to jumpstart someone)  Truth be told I'd really love to still have my old Crown Vic, damn snow plow.....

What has really burned me about the VW is parts and parts availability around this area, well and out of the area really.. I don't want to have to stock every darned part in the back of the car, but it always seems to be 3 or 4 days to get anything for it, and anymore I have to question the quality of what I'm getting anyhow.. (Can we say 7 reman starters in a few months?) Cheap junk works on a Chebby, not a VW..

I haven't decided for sure yet that I am going to dump everything, but I was hoping to get some idea what to ask if I do..  I do believe I'm gonna rig a stand to at least run the engine a bit and make sure it is in order.. Crap does happen afterall.. If it's all okay and I decide to let it go you got first dibs CRSMP5..

Reply #8February 19, 2012, 06:48:34 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 06:48:34 am »
 ;D  fyi its for a suziki conversion... so its would be going to a die hard diesel freek that actully lives in cali.. but his mom is in west pa by me.. and he still tryin to decide to ship here for conversion or let ROR2.0 d the job... but reality is he needs a engine 1st.. so think abt it..

price will be better with working pump on it btw..

Reply #9February 19, 2012, 08:38:10 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 08:38:10 am »
Pending on what he decides to do (or I decide for that matter) I do have 2 more engines I've kept about for parts/pieces/spares..  Never tired to fire either of them, the TB is off the one because the pump is gone, the other has sat for 10 years, didn't want to chance it...  Supposedly the one that sat was rebuilt, but the guy can't remember why he stopped running it, the other was supposed to have starting issues..  I'd let them go to a good home real quick and cheap..

Reply #10February 22, 2012, 10:51:07 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:51:07 pm »
I'd like to have a spare motor on the back burner for cheap..