Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: The final nail in the coffin haha  (Read 6742 times)

February 04, 2012, 08:15:29 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

The final nail in the coffin haha
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:29 pm »
OK guys.. i have finally put the setup together, found the fuel, etc. So here it is.
I am creating this thread to let you know (And other future searchers) what i'm doing, how it's going, and give ya'll a place to tell me i'm insane, place bets on how long this will last,  etc etc. General degrading banter.

ORCoaster: i will be updating my fuelly with the miles per paid gallon. so, in my current situation, i'm averaging 46 MPG, but now i am adding WMO at a rate of 50%.  So my current 46 mpg will be reflected on fuelly as 92 MPG, as that's how many miles i'm getting for the gallons i've purchased.

So, on to the setup!
a 55 gallon drum, mainly motor oil, but also about 10 gallons ATF. (i got it all free off craigslist)

and this is a 1 micron bag filter:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 08:21:45 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #1February 04, 2012, 08:18:34 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: The final nail in the coffin haha
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:18:34 pm »
in the first 100 miles, i noticed:
more power, quieter.. much better idle!

bucking at low speed stopped.

can idle with headlights on now, and the dash doesn't fall out in my lap anymore

Cold starts have gone much better!

Beginning mileage : 192870 (not the car's mileage)
Oil change: 193400
Car runs much hotter, especially in stop and go.
1500 miles in: added a lift pump. Diesel clack returned. City fuel mileage lower on wmo

3000 miles in: tried to run it on virtually straight WMO (over 90% motor oil to less than 10% diesel) .. car does run, smokey, less power, fuel mileage about 20% lower (37 instead of 47 mpg) .. did run tho; cost per mile at $4.09 a gallon for what little diesel i put in it: 2.1 cents per mile; $7 to go 300 miles!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:55:10 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #2February 04, 2012, 08:19:41 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:19:41 pm »
beware, that crap stains everything, and makes a mess in your pump too..

even if you switch from that to regular diesel, your clear feed lines will be BLACK for about 2-3 tanks afterwards..

too bad we couldnt get al the SOOT out of motor oil.. its bad crap.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3February 04, 2012, 08:23:49 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 08:23:49 pm »
beware, that crap stains everything, and makes a mess in your pump too..

even if you switch from that to regular diesel, your clear feed lines will be BLACK for about 2-3 tanks afterwards..

too bad we couldnt get al the SOOT out of motor oil.. its bad crap.

yeah i'm bettin the 1 micron bag filter is going to take care of me on that one.

Reply #4February 04, 2012, 08:28:35 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 08:28:35 pm »
its still BLACK.. thats from soot..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5February 04, 2012, 10:18:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »
Save these pictures for comparing to the setup 6 to 7 months from now.  My son had a veg oil setup in the back next to the shed and when he was done with it about two years later the place was gooey in oil.  I just dug it all up and turned the soil over.  Best to have it processed under ground.  Smelled on hot, 70 degree, days.

Are you mixing this waste oil in with regular diesel in some regulated portions? 

Reply #6February 04, 2012, 10:31:28 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:31:28 pm »
1 What kinda car / engine / InjPump are in this deal ?

2 Are you diluting 50/50 before straining/filtering ?
It would prob make the process go faster.

3 I know a few who do this in the warmer months 50/50.

If it saves you $1000 a year on fuel, and costs $200 every couple years for another good used NA Inj Pump and a reseal kit - thats good math.

I wouldn't put the new math numbers up on Fuelly.
Will either look artificial - or raise suspicions.
ahem its not DOT/EPA approved

Reply #7February 05, 2012, 12:05:55 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 12:05:55 am »
wd  can you test the acid level on this "new fuel" you have going into the black turd? 

Seems it is more acid than diesel and thereby it can shorten the life of just about anything it touches.  Watch those fuel lines. 

Remember what doesn't kill ya will make you stronger.  Hope this comes out for the best for you.

Reply #8February 05, 2012, 12:14:58 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 12:14:58 pm »
Mk2's have a plastic gas tank yes, and plastic lines? If it were higher acid level, would you then have to worry about the plastic goings on in the tank?? and the tank itself??

This leads me to believe that if I were planning to do the same, i could be further ahead in some ways. Metal tank, metal lines. I think I would add metal fittings in instead of having the rubber hoses go from tank to lines, and lines to filter/pump. Mind you you would still need the one rubber hose to go to the pump, but it would be short and easily accessible/replaceable.

Kev, I dont think the soot will be an issue, as he said he is filtering down to 1 micron. 1/100th of a human hair, even if there is still soot in there it is too small to do any harm.

BVZ, totally agree, but how many pumps will be readily available couple years from now? People are getting wise on the diesel scene! LOL

Reply #9February 05, 2012, 02:45:49 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 02:45:49 pm »
I've been running W85 as they call it (approx 85% WMO/15% RUG) blended up to 50% with diesel for the last 10,000 kms.  It is a bit time consuming and messy, but has worked ok for the most part.  One thing you will find with burning WMO in these engines is the injector heatshield hole will plug up with hard carbon deposits.  I had to get an e-test so I stopped adding WMO for a while.  Ran it on pump fuel until the fuel lines were finally clear again and there was still smoke from exhaust at idle.  Removed injectors and found heat shield holes coked up.  Cleaned them and smoking cleared up.  Someone here had the same issue with a MB diesel:  http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f22/.  That site is a great source of info for WMO users. 

I filter down to 2 microns however I'm not convinced WMO will not cause accelerated inj pump wear.  There are huge quantities of abrasive sub micron particles in WMO.  I am trying this out largely as an experiment--I do not need to rely on this car for daily transport. 
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #10February 05, 2012, 02:55:56 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 02:55:56 pm »
That valve is on good plase to drein good oil,but you put too much flow,it take me 4 h min to fill 25 lit.
Do this ONLY after min 1 week of settling.Please tell me you have  another valve on BOTTOM for bad oil.
Did you read infopopop?
I`ll improve my English

Reply #11February 06, 2012, 12:31:05 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:31:05 pm »
1 What kinda car / engine / InjPump are in this deal ?

1985 jetta na diesel 1.6
Save these pictures for comparing to the setup 6 to 7 months from now.  My son had a veg oil setup in the back next to the shed and when he was done with it about two years later the place was gooey in oil.  I just dug it all up and turned the soil over.  Best to have it processed under ground.  Smelled on hot, 70 degree, days.

Are you mixing this waste oil in with regular diesel in some regulated portions? 
HAHAHA i saw that writing on the wall as i began this process.. slowly everything is becomin shiny  ;D the only thing i am worried about is the smell; dont' really need the neighbors complainin.

Reply #12February 06, 2012, 01:52:57 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:52:57 pm »
Motor oil doesn't even smell compared to decomposing vegetable oil.  Ever walk past those dumpsters or bins back behind a resturant.  That rank smell is generally not the cooking in process.  It is the waste oil in the collection bin.  Eeeuuuuuwww.

Reply #13February 11, 2012, 01:54:43 pm

GTiTDi

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Schnell Snail TDI performance
    • My 91 GTI --> TDI swap thread
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:43 pm »
Use the WMO to heat your shop and save the (eventually dwindling) of good used injection pumps! We are seriously screwed once we have to rely upon the crap that Prothe peddles! Not only is running this black crap ILLEGAL it is far from good to be exhausting into fellow motorists faces no to mention the atmosphere!

The HAHAHA response to OR Coaster's warning about turning your yard into a toxic waste site leads me to believe you are a bit immature...I thought that was what the VWVORTEX is for....
91 GTI/ AHU spec'd 1Z power, GT2052W w custom adapter (available through me, PM me for details),TDTUNING software, PP764 nozzles, Massive spearco FMIC, PD intake, Koni reds
97 B4VGLX AHU, RC3, 357's, PP'd head, Shine springs and Koni yellows

Reply #14February 11, 2012, 05:59:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 05:59:55 pm »
GTiTDi,  since most of us use both forums I am not sure that can be true.  No one gets screened, that would take half the fun out of this place.