Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 2 Jettas and a GTI  (Read 3631 times)

February 02, 2012, 02:06:26 pm

JessaBug

• Junior

2 Jettas and a GTI
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
Well, buying a house and having a garage means more cars!

Our '84 Jetta TD GL. Unknown mileage...186k+ (odo was stopped at 180k when we got the car...works now!) Got it in July of 2008. Did a full rebuild on it end of 2010-beginning of 2011. Slight overbore, rebuilt turbo, Giles pump, 2.5" exhaust (DP and everything). Definitely a fun ride. Still a work in progress but it gets driven and 43mpg around town (51mpg highway without even trying). Love this car. Build thread here: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=26483.0

This one is mine. My NB was totaled in an accident in August, so I snagged this Black Magic Pearl 20th Anniversary GTI. Great car...1.8t coupled with a 6-speed manual. 117k. Definitely the fast car of the family! No mods yet...in fact I swaped out the CAI for stock airbox last weekend. I want to get the stock Aristos back on it and probably get it chipped this year  ;D

And this is the new project and my hubby's future DD. He's still stuck with the '00 Honda Accord auto for now, but just got a few things to take care of on this gem for that to change. Its an '01 Jetta TDI. Probably a dead auto. Getting a 5-speed swap in the coming weeks and a timing belt job. 114k and got it for a steal. Its nice having 3 VWs in the driveway...  Build thread here: http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=30808.0

RIP to my NB. She was a 2.0L 5-speed, but she was a blast to drive and own. She was my first car and I had her for 6 1/2 years until a Prius crossed the center line and hit me almost head on. She had less than 102k on her and planned on keeping her much longer. Sad day when I lost her, but she protected me very well (had a sprained hand, airbag burns, some bruising and a gash on my arm...all from the airbag) and I walked away, which is all I could ask for.

In her better days:

8/17/11  :'(

Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #1February 02, 2012, 06:45:48 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: 2 Jettas and a GTI
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »
good job coming out barely injured. That wouldn't buff out???

Reply #2February 03, 2012, 04:09:51 pm

BigVWman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:51 pm »
Please tell us at least the prius died a horrible death? I hate no vehicle more than a prii!
Tim
83 rabbit shell 92 cabby tdi conversion, 91 cabby aba conversion, 87 cabby,  87 gti,  01nb tdi new project,00 1.8t nb, 98 ranger,92 f150 flareside(its pink) 97 cabrio and a 00 cabrio!

Reply #3February 03, 2012, 04:35:45 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:35:45 pm »
Please tell us at least the prius died a horrible death? I hate no vehicle more than a prii!

i think that its normal for VW diesel enthusiasts to HATE prii
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4February 04, 2012, 10:09:21 am

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 10:09:21 am »
The drivers front was pretty trashed...she tried to run but the car stopped a block down the road. The story of everything and this other driver was just incredibly ridiculous. Just glad to be done with it. Sad my beloved NB was destroyed, but I walked away. Both airbags deployed, frame was bent, front and rear suspension damage (front axle was ripped out of the trans) not to mention all the body damage. Easy total...I think they estimated nearly $8k in damage.

A few weeks ago we were almost side-swiped by a Prius in our Honda. I really hate Prii...and people who text and drive (she claimed that's what she was doing...not sure if its true). I'm all about saving the environment but I've never liked the Prius. A friend of mine got one and she now hates it with a passion.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #5February 04, 2012, 03:12:57 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 03:12:57 pm »
The drivers front was pretty trashed...she tried to run but the car stopped a block down the road. The story of everything and this other driver was just incredibly ridiculous. Just glad to be done with it. Sad my beloved NB was destroyed, but I walked away. Both airbags deployed, frame was bent, front and rear suspension damage (front axle was ripped out of the trans) not to mention all the body damage. Easy total...I think they estimated nearly $8k in damage.

A few weeks ago we were almost side-swiped by a Prius in our Honda. I really hate Prii...and people who text and drive (she claimed that's what she was doing...not sure if its true). I'm all about saving the environment but I've never liked the Prius. A friend of mine got one and she now hates it with a passion.

they need to educate people about how DIRTY hybrids are!

if you take a 72 chevelle SS, and a prius...

in the GRAND SCHEME of things, the 72 chevy is a greener automobile.. it took less fossil fuels to mine the resources, refine them, produce the car, RUN THE CAR FOR 100k miles, and then recycle the chevy back into more chevys, or maybe a ford or dodge even!

take the prius.. you have to mine/refine many more resources that are alot less earth freindly, burn alot more fuel while doing it.. sure, it sips the fuel down once its a finished vehicle, but it still took more fuel to produce and run the prius 100k miles, then recycle it..

the chevy will take less fossil fuels to operate and build over its entire lifetime.. but when the prius is dead, we put it in barrels, bury it, and leave it for a later generation to deal with as TOXIC WASTE..

TDI = greener than prii

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6February 05, 2012, 06:06:19 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 06:06:19 pm »
People are so damn ignorant towards how stuff actually is..

But hey, if they educated them.. do you think they'd buy the car companies brand new hybrids??

Reply #7April 23, 2012, 11:12:31 am

MattRabbit

• User+

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:12:31 am »
I love the GTI, Jetta TD, and TDI!  All nice cars!  I read all of your build threads.  You two seem to have pretty damn good skills with these things. 

I'm impressed!  ;D
'81 Rabbit Diesel
'01 Golf TDI
http://matt_lisa.home.sprynet.com/

Reply #8April 23, 2012, 11:44:11 am

billybobf

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    89 golf 1.8 digi, 1.6 na in pieces in the shop
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:44:11 am »
dang I hate to threadjack: 

I had a prius, I paid $10,000.00 to own it for 1.5 years (full financed and full coverage insurance) I put 46,000 miles on it. we figured doing the math, we saved $600.00 on fuel costs over a car we owned outright. We could have saved more money on fuel, as I got an average of 76mpg driving it, while my wifes average was 52mpg. After some financial issues, prius gone, I bought a 78 rabbit that was salvage due to a blown 1.5 engine, then 1.6 swapped for $75 bucks, replaced black fuel lines with clear, replaced cracked clear found by using new clear and seeing bubbles. At one point I was pushing my rabbit and pumping out a little soot, a guy in a full size chevy extra cab pickup with an empty bed and only his seat filled yelled at me to get my polluting piece of crap off the road and quit destroying our planet. I followed him to the next fuel station (he looked worried that I was going to cause him harm) and explained to him how the carbon footprint of a vehicle works. My car used minimal plastics in making it, has the option of burning carbon neutral fuel, puts less wear and tear on our roads then his heavy and improperly (unloaded) used truck, and will probably get 5x the mileage out of a single chassis compared to his truck and then will be fully recyclable when done. He didn't say ANYTHING, I left on my merry way. little did I know that my car might not get 5x as many miles on its chassis, as a fire would later to damage that forced me to sell my car in favor of an 89 toyota camry with 189,000 miles on it that gets 27mpg highway (cost me less then 1 months prius costs) that I have now owned for three years, Ive put tires on it (consumable part) a battery and a radiator, overall savings over stupid prius $20,000 dollars -$1200.00 in fuel savings  $18800.00 saved by NOT owning a prius. Nect cheap car project, 89 golf 1.8 for $250 bucks, and 1.6 na probably adding $1250 to the price. still saving a bunch over stupid prius.

Sorry about your bad luck with stupid prii and the threadjack, looks like you still have a good line of Vdubs in the driveway and glad you walked away with injuries that healed

Reply #9April 23, 2012, 02:37:53 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »
I love the GTI, Jetta TD, and TDI!  All nice cars!  I read all of your build threads.  You two seem to have pretty damn good skills with these things. 

I'm impressed!  ;D

best part is, SHES A GIRL! and she can turn a WRENCH!!

Jess, you are one of my favorite forum members, just for the fact that you break all the stereotypes.

"well, girls cant work on cars!"

this one can!

S-PAutomotive.com