Author Topic: Looking at stepping out of the Volkswagen scene.. MERCEDES TURBOWAGON  (Read 14553 times)

January 18, 2012, 12:10:57 am

8v-of-fury

How do we feel about the 1982 300TD Wagon? 5cyl OM617 turbo diesel. 400k on the clock. 4 speed auto trans.

$1800 :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:16:03 am by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #1January 18, 2012, 01:12:48 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Looking at stepping out of the Volkswagen scene..
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:12:48 am »
Don't do it!  Three times the weight and volume, only 28 mpg, and it looks well fat.  And not in the good sense of the word.  I had the chance to pick up my neighbors 240D for 750 and I passed on it.  The thing is a boat.  Stick to the simple VW.  If you want big go Jetta.

Don't do IT!  You'll be sorry. 

Reply #2January 18, 2012, 01:15:30 am

8v-of-fury

Re: Looking at stepping out of the Volkswagen scene..
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:15:30 am »
Volume I like. I'm 6'3" 260lbs lol. Itd be the best of all worlds.

240D.. is that the same OM617 5cyl turbo diesel motor? These benz's look just as simple if not more? I have heard of big power coming from the OM617's.. without too much modification.

Reply #3January 18, 2012, 01:54:39 am

CRSMP5

Re: Looking at stepping out of the Volkswagen scene.. MERCEDES TURBOWAGON
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:54:39 am »
i have 2 sitting outside... one i put a engine in... trust me they not as simple.. they slower then a 1.6na... im really not impressed.. and 28mpg.. not that ive seen... 23-25 is more like it...

now if you needs a big car.. do a b3 wagon.. they cheap with blown trannies and such.. and mine gets aroundbetter then a 300 does.. and i get 40mpg with foot buried..

Reply #4January 18, 2012, 07:49:41 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 07:49:41 am »
I drove my cousins 300D it was the 5cyl TD engine. It was a slug and best it got was 29 I averaged 27mpg on my routes. The vacuum everything is a nightmare when you have to chase it down. They are a lot heavier and tires are more money when you have to buy them over a stock 13 or 14 vw tire. Oil changes are more as it takes 2 gallons or something like that and the filter is a canister type that is more money than a vw filter. 

All in all it was a good car, but expensive for my tastes. It was close to 30 years old and the doors opened and shut like a brand new car. The Benz is great quality no doubt. If I wanted to pay that much to keep a car on the road I would buy a newer one. My newer TDI isn't as pricey to maintain as that 300D was.

Reply #5January 18, 2012, 11:39:19 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:19 am »
even if you do STEP OUT of the VW game, you wont be gone for long, i promise..

im 6'7".. i have no problems with mk2 VWs..

hell, i even fit fine in 2rd mk1s..

yea, im bigger than you, and drive smaller cars..

JUMP ON THAT 25mpg PIG!! you WILL regret it.. lol.

if you get that merc, DO NOT sell the VW.. because you will want the VW back if you sell..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6January 18, 2012, 01:51:05 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:51:05 pm »
Really they are slow with nearly 190 ftlbs of torque? They dont seem hard to work on, tires are 14" cheapies :) parts are the same prices as vw stuff..

the only thing that would begin to worry me would be 30mpg.. but even then.. for such a cool car i could live with 30mpg!

DAMNIT GUYS! WHAT TO DO.

Reply #7January 18, 2012, 03:55:15 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »
Parts are not all the same nor as cheap as vw...unless you know of other places than I have found, but I drove the pig for 6 months and maintained it. There is no way unless you are reusing the oil to make an oil change cheaper when they take 2 gallons of oil and the filter is 10.00.
The vacuum stuff is a nightmare. I couldn't handle it. If it was newer I am sure all the rubber and lines would be ok, but this is a 30 year old car and it wasn't for me.

Reply #8January 18, 2012, 05:12:50 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:12:50 pm »
I see what you're saying, 8v, those old mercs are beautiful machines built like tanks IMO.  I looked through autopartsway.ca, and there are lots of parts available for seemingly reasonable prices.  It would be tempting for me but the poorer fuel economy would be the deciding factor against. 
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #9January 18, 2012, 06:28:58 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:28:58 pm »
When I was discussing the purchase possibilities with my neighbor he did this look from the VW to the Benz.  Then he said something to the effect that if I think the VW is slow to move up in speed, being the diesel and not the gas version, what he was sell can hardly get out of its own way.  Yeah the 5 cyl motor was in there, the torque is there but they are "Grampa Slow"  He recommended I stick with the VW and let his go to some kid who would turn it into a veggie oil burner and keep themselves from getting hurt with fools speed.

Room is nice but you are going to pay for it with hugeness, both at the pump, parts and time overall.

Recommedation:  DON'T DO IT.

Reply #10January 18, 2012, 06:57:05 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:05 pm »
OriginalGangsterCoaster- You really hate on the benz wagons! lol

its just soo damn cool :( what about if it were a sedan? or a coupe? I don't think they're THAT slow.. how can they be? Maybe the one you were looking at wasnt a turbo diesel? Because those ones would be deathly slow.. same power as the 1.6td..

dieseweasel- Hells yah autopartsway.ca for the win :) parts are the same price for vw stuff. struts, brakes, steering, lights.. blah blah all same prices.. damnit.. if i werent tight on money meaning id have to get rid of my vw to have it.. id buy it in a heartbeat..!

Reply #11January 18, 2012, 08:44:36 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:44:36 pm »
Not really the Benz Hater like it sounds but having come from a family with 7 kids anything that resembles a station wagon used for the 11 hr drives to Grandma's house just makes me irritable.

I actually considered buying a coupe version of what your are shown so if you have to have this beast, and I emphasize that it looks beasty to me. 
Then by all means have at it.  Just be prepared for those cute girls at the market to look at one another and shrug there shoulders and comment that he didn't look like a grandpa.  Why the car? 

You will be a hit with the friends, all 24 of them that you can pile in this thing and take to the lake.  Kind of offsets the poor mileage.  Think miles per person.  24 friends X 100 miles / 24 mpg = 100 friendmiles/gallon  Better than if you drive alone in the VW and get yourself there and 50 friendmiles/gallon.

You say you're a big fella,  got a family?  Kids farther back where they can't kick the seat is a bonus.  That trunk will eat all the luggage for a weeks trip and have plenty for souvenirs.

Your money, your call. 
ps trailer the VW.

Reply #12January 18, 2012, 11:20:36 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »
MMMM Benz wagon. I'd only do it if you were planning on running veg. There are many other vehicles that get 30 mpg that I would buy before a Benz.
With a few tweaks and a turbo swap they can be decent. The bloody vac lines are probably the #1 reason why I have yet to own one myself
Tyler

Reply #13January 18, 2012, 11:36:45 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 11:36:45 pm »
Vac lines aren't hard to deal with, replace them all :)

A diesel wagon though man, how much better could it get? Not to mention the W123 body is amazingly engineered.

Upon further thinking, and much needed talking down by the lady friend.. I don't "need" another car.. women, what do they know anyhow?

Reply #14January 18, 2012, 11:51:21 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 11:51:21 pm »
Vac lines aren't hard to deal with, replace them all :)

A diesel wagon though man, how much better could it get? Not to mention the W123 body is amazingly engineered.

Upon further thinking, and much needed talking down by the lady friend.. I don't "need" another car.. women, what do they know anyhow?

its not the vacuum lines, its EVERYTHING they control..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com