Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: My new ride..  (Read 5591 times)

January 05, 2012, 02:29:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
My new ride..
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:29:02 pm »
ok, well, i figured i better post up some pics for proof that the swap really happened, and in under a week too..

anyways, heres pics of my late 92 Jetta..

and some engine bay shots too:

and a shot of where i added the cold start handle..

thanks for looking!!

92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #1January 05, 2012, 03:53:23 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: My new ride..
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »
Nice!   But needs some snowflake wheels to round it out.

Reply #2January 05, 2012, 04:02:44 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 04:02:44 pm »
Nice!   But needs some snowflake wheels to round it out.

uh, i think not.. flakes are my LEAST favorite VW wheel..

prolly gonna put my Enkei 92s on it for the time being, then throw the 17" wheels back on it once i can afford tires..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3January 05, 2012, 04:14:02 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:14:02 pm »
It must be nice to live somewhere where rust isn't a concern.

Nice ride.

Is your CCV venting to atmosphere?
Tyler

Reply #4January 05, 2012, 04:24:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 04:24:48 pm »
It must be nice to live somewhere where rust isn't a concern.

Nice ride.

Is your CCV venting to atmosphere?

rust isnt a concern? your aware i live in one of the wettest places on the planet? should see the datsun pickup that my jetta was sitting next to.. it basically has electrolysis. thank god rust isnt contageous!

i live like 20 miles from the pacific ocean.. rust is EVERYWHERE.. as i waxed the car, i found lots of rust spots..

LOL @ the rust not being a concern comment..

and yes, my breather is just a road draft tube.. i have a spotless intake tract, and plan to keep it that way..

(our cars rust from the outside in, not from the inside out, like they do in canada)

Reply #5January 05, 2012, 04:51:01 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 04:51:01 pm »
I guess it's all relative. Your rust would be nice to have up here. If you had to get close enough to wax your car to notice the rust, you don't have rust :P

Take my old engine bay for example.

Rusty master, fuel filter bracket, alt bracket, etc. Much worse than yours. The return springs on your pump are still green. You won't see that up here.
Tyler

Reply #6January 05, 2012, 05:01:39 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »
lol, dang.. now that is some RUST..

and most of the reason everything isnt rusty under the hood, is because i keep it clean. i wash under the hood a half dozen times a year, atleast..

spraying simple green on a warm engine, and letting it soak into the grime, then hitting it with simple green again keeps it nice n clean.

the only reason my pump looks as good as it does, is because its got ~20k miles on it..

i like my engine bays to be basically SPOTLESS.. i hate getting super dirty when i work on my cars.

on a side note tho, i have had a fuel leak for a year or so, never could source the leak until i pulled the injection pump off.. there was a bolt missing out of the cold start advance setup. one of the 2 main bolts that holds the advance to the pump body.. anyways, fixed that, and now i have a DRY engine.. its always had a small drip. just enough to keep the engine wet with fuel, and enough to weaken the timing belt and make it snap..

Reply #7January 05, 2012, 09:31:20 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:31:20 pm »
I don't know about that generalized statement that our coastal cars rust from the outside in.  I have seen a few that were rusted like the one posted here on the forum about the floorboards gone.  When the seals on windows leak and you don't know it until one cold winter day the entire inside of the car is kind of wet feeling and you pull back the carpets to see an inch of water.  Or you know they leak so you have to drill 1/8 th inch holes in the floor to keep 4-5 inches from building up during the week.

That rusting engine bay reminded me of my cars when I lived in Michigan.  Now there's rust, both inside and out.  Stupid salt.

I like you like to keep it clean where I work and the car needs to get washed when it road grimes up.  Brushing against the car should not leave a mark on the pants that embarrass you later.  Gee did you get side swiped on the way to the meeting? 

Simple green?  that simple eh?  Going to have to try that next time, thanks.

Reply #8January 06, 2012, 05:41:37 am

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 05:41:37 am »
Even though my car needs new floorpans, the undercoating by the fuel tank is still there after 23 years. The straps holding the fuel tank may need to be replaced though. And the fenders have the usual rust behind the wheel, and I totally forgot about the leaking windshield due to rust there as well. But with the road salt we get here, usually a few days after most of the runoff is gone, I'll spring the extra $3 and get the under chassis bath. Do it with the newer cars. And when I get the interior done and the door panels are popped off, I may find new rust there as well.

Oh, the joys of owning a VW Mk2...Now if I could only work on them as well as some of you guys. :)

Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.
Never forget what a "Religion of Peace" did on 9/11/01.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k
1998 Jetta 1.9TTDi 228k .
2002 F250 7.3 TD   63,000 miles. Sold.
1980 Mack CF Fire Engine. Working on it.
2007 Dodge MegaCab 5.9 Cummins. Nice, but plagued with issues

Reply #9January 06, 2012, 09:03:52 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:52 am »
If the dumb pics still worked in my build thread you could see the rust I dealt with. Floors were gone, drivers side totally and passenger almost there. Our cars here in Ohio rust everywhere. They rust in/out and out/in and some in the middle too. My master cylinder I put in last december, by febuary it looked like the one pictured above. The salt gets in your shoes and you bring it in to the car in the snow slush mix. The barely working heater melts it off and after enough of it gets through the floor mat then the carpet loves to suck it up and hold it there. Add a little leak or rain from a slightly open window and it is nicely distributed over the entire floor section.
The best and cheapest thing we have going here is to "paint" your car with oil or a diesel/oil mix underneath and in the door jams. Drive it down a dirt road that is nice and dusty and as long as you don't scrape it off you are good for the winter. Usually takes scraping or pressure washer to get it back off. Leaves a nice protective film. Undercoat here only partially works, sometimes makes it worse as salt gets in but won't come out.

Reply #10January 06, 2012, 12:29:11 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »
I leave my engine bay greasy with diesel grime to protect it. ;)

I washed the bay of the 81 I picked up with over 900,000kms on it and the engine bay was PERFECT under all the grime. Like day it left the factory perfect, magazine perfect. Grime for the win ;)

Reply #11January 06, 2012, 03:57:57 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 03:57:57 pm »
Knuckle swap today  ;D

going from 92 mexi jetta GL brakes (9.4")

to girling 54s off a 92 wolfy GLI (10.1")

(and good wheel bearings)

my drivers side bearing started going boobs up pretty bad last night..

Reply #12January 26, 2012, 09:38:46 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 09:38:46 pm »
Sweet ride meng. I lol'd at the "needs some snowflakes" comment, knowing your aversion to those wheels. Your Enkei's will look nice on that.

What is going on with you PCV? You got that runnin to a catch can , or just venting to atmo?

Go get some KIWI Leather Dye homie!

Reply #13January 28, 2012, 09:28:07 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:28:07 am »
I'm curious why swap to mkii?  I like the sitting position and the ride quality better in mk2s but I like the handling and looks much better in a mki.  I also think snow flakes are ugly the only thing cool about them is they came on mki gtis.  Interesting use of the aba vc haha.  And I gotta agree with Tyler from what ive seen online pnw has no idea what rust is. I don't think they salt the roads in the pnw do they?  I once saw a guy on vortex chop a mki scirocco up to to pieces because he thought it was too rusty. It only had surface rust and quite a bit of it but not even pinhole through anywhere and hardly any on the body mostly underneath. Man over here there would have been blood shed trying to get a mki scirocco in that good of shape. Worst rust I saw was in Michigan this summer I didn't see any cars more than 10 years old and any car more than three years old had huge deep pitted rust spots. I think maybe the Detroit three have payed the state is aggressively use salt. Anyways cool mkii haha
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #14January 28, 2012, 01:01:09 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01:09 pm »
Trev0rbr  I like this conspiracy theory.  I think maybe the Detroit three have payed the state is aggressively use salt.    Having lived in both the lower and upper peninsula of Michigan I can tell you that perhaps your correct.  Pay to salt the roads, the salt eats the cars, we sell more cars faster.  Now that the companies are going broke the state is without enough money to maintain the roads.  Oh potholes anyone.  They have plenty of big ones.  Another twist to the theory.  The car co.s pay for the patch materials but require that all holes only get 1/2 filled.  That way people hit them at full speed and tear up the car faster.

In all honesty the weather has everything to do with it.  It is warm enough most times in and around the Detroit area that salt melts the snow.  Lowers the freeze point or something.  Have to check a science book on that.  Up where the weather is colder that wouldn't work so they put sand on the roads.  Or plow them as there is enough to do that.  Traffic and common sense has a lot to do with it as well.  Those folks have to get to work in large numbers and they need to do it safely, so salt is the answer once again.

Now that I live here in Oregon, even along the coast, I am just overwhelmed at the condition of my 1981 car.  Nuts and bolts are still looking new to me.  I didn't buy it from here I brought it here from the Roseburg area about 50 miles inland.  So I am seeing a bit of rust on things you talk about but so far not a problem.  Perhaps undercoating is in order.

That was the single biggest change for those in the Detroit area, when manufacturing started to apply factory undercoating.  Suddenly cars and trucks were not rotting away in 4 or 5 years.  Outsmarted themselves they did.  I think they had to as the competition was already doing it. 

Out to the MK1 for some wrench, without the knuckle busting.  DAS