S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6 to 1.9 AAZ Conversion.....last steps. Help with wiring  (Read 2290 times)

December 28, 2011, 11:01:02 pm

wpinnix

• User+

1.6 to 1.9 AAZ Conversion.....last steps. Help with wiring
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:01:02 pm »
so I'm in the last throws of the conversion. engine in, coolant plumbing hooked up,

I've searched the forum but can't seem to find info on the alternator wiring conversion. I know I've seen it on this forum somewhere, but can't find it now.

I have a 1981 pickup with the three wire alternator plug.

Also, I can't seem to find postings on which senders to use for VDO gauges (oil pressure, oil temp, water temp).

Almost there.....hoping to fire up this weekend.

Reply #1December 29, 2011, 11:35:06 am

chrisg

• Junior

Re: 1.6 to 1.9 AAZ Conversion.....last steps. Help with wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 11:35:06 am »
the alternator plug is very easy. its the same as the 1.6 but simplified in a plug. if you look at your 1.6 wiring there will be a thick red wire (battery+) a thin blue one (exciter wire) and possibly a red/black one (tach) the AAZ has plug with the red/black and blue wires, just connect those to the plug from your old wiring and just connect the thick red wire the same as the 1.6

oil pressure sensor is on the top of the oil filter flange (usually a yellow wire) oil temp is on the tranny side of the head (i think) and water temp is in the coolant flange on the front of the motor (the top rad hose connects to it.

the 1.6 and 1.9's have different flanges with different plugs, to avoid more splicing, i just swpped the flanges and kept my 1.6 double sensor flange (one plug is for the glow plug light, other is for the factory temp guage

S-PAutomotive.com