S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Timing Belt Tensioner Shim??  (Read 1726 times)

December 28, 2011, 01:39:48 pm

wpinnix

• User+

Timing Belt Tensioner Shim??
« on: December 28, 2011, 01:39:48 pm »
Hello,
I have a 1997 AAZ with adjustable IP pulley. I replaced the timing belt and tensioner, set timing marks, set tensioner, rotated engine 4 times (for good measure), retightened tensioner.

Now, the timing belt is sitting too far to the inside and I suspect that the tensioner is pulling it towards the engine. I haven't started the engine for fear the belt might get damaged. The belt was centered on the pulleys when I put i on, but when I rotated the engine the belt drifted to the engine side of the pulleys.

I'm wondering if I should shim the tensioner, or ......

I've changed the timing belt on my 1.6 NA diesel a couple of times with no problems, this one is confusing me.

Thanks,
Bill

Reply #1December 28, 2011, 02:42:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Timing Belt Tensioner Shim??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:42:02 pm »
do you have the tensioner on backwards? there is a side that points out, and a side that rests against the engine..

if you have it backwards, it will cause what you describe..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2December 28, 2011, 02:47:01 pm

wpinnix

• User+

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:47:01 pm »
Can it be put on backwards? There is the tab on the back that locks into the rear timing belt cover for the tensioner to work....I believe it is installed correctly.

Reply #3December 28, 2011, 04:49:47 pm

wpinnix

• User+

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 04:49:47 pm »
I think I may be OK. I've pulled up a few pictures on the net that show AAZ with the timing cover off and most have the timing belt in the same position as mine....flush with the engine side of pulley and a gap of about 3/8" on the outside of the pulley.

Anyone have pictures of their AAZ with timing cover off?

S-PAutomotive.com