Author Topic: Why is it so hard to find an old idi  (Read 3772 times)

Reply #15December 20, 2011, 01:49:38 am

mystery3

• Veteran

Re: Why is it so hard to find an old idi
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:49:38 am »
wow those are costly down there...bought mine for $800....high kms tho....but picked up a refreshed engine...swaped out engines in less than 5hrs in the drive way.... now i have 3 spare engines lol....love having extra parts...give it time...a good deal will come along...always dose for those who keep looking.

We didn't get td caddys in the states, that one has been swapped and looks reasonably clean.

I bought my caddy for $800 but I've more than 4k into it for sure.

Reply #16December 20, 2011, 12:30:45 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 12:30:45 pm »
LOL @ muffler temp!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17December 20, 2011, 01:11:17 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 01:11:17 pm »
I hear ya, it took me months to find my 85 jetta td for $800.  Interior was darn good with seat covers, body straight with a few spots on the paint.  Car started and drove great although I believe it has some blowby.  That was a year and a half ago, car gets pounded 700 miles/week.  And even with doing all the work myself here I am $2000 later and the car looks no better and still has various vw issues.   But all the suspension, etc. looked to be original so I had to start over.

One day I plan on parking this one and breaking it down to do repaint, everything myself with an engine/tranny rebuild but I need another car to daily drive before that happens :)

It makes me sick to look at all the cars and parts from people east of us.  So many good deals and I would love to have a stable of these cars parked ready for daily driving and to then take blown engines, etc. and get others ready for the road to flip.

Seems either the cars are overpriced for what they are, or the cheap deals are really clapped out shells with dmv issues really not making it worthwhile imo.

I thought once I was ready to buy I would find more nice shells of cars with engine issues that I could pickup and trailer home cheap but that has not been my experience.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Fixmyvw.com