Author Topic: My no start issue, LOW COMPRESSION!!!!!! New diagnosis!!!!!!  (Read 12064 times)

Reply #45January 31, 2012, 02:25:16 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: My no start issue, LOW COMPRESSION!!!!!! New diagnosis!!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »
I have one here that is collapsed on my computer table and it is real close to 1/2", no where near 3/4

Is that measured or "eyeballed"?

If that's the case then I have lifters for something else, aren't gasser lifters really similar if not identical to a diesel lifter?

I'd love to only have to buy new lifters.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #46January 31, 2012, 02:46:15 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46:15 pm »
Well maybe ALL of my lifters have issues and are stuck partway open.

According to my quick research, gas and diesel lifters are the same........
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #47January 31, 2012, 04:05:13 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 04:05:13 pm »
So I used hook jawed vise grips and squeezed a lifter for a while and it did flatted more, and if appears there's a spring inside the lifter.

After flattening it all the way I put it in a lifter bore, put the cam in and pushed it down, now I can feel the spring squish without opening the valve.

With the cam holding the lifter down I can push the lifter down and feel the spring squish a little more so I don't think I'm outside the lifters working range.

Now what happens when I put it all back together and start it will this problem repeat itself?

Lucas, I'll get a new measurement with a lifter that's "really" flattened.

Reply #48January 31, 2012, 06:48:22 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »
All exhaust valves are just BARELY in spec but only one intake valve is in spec, the rest are pretty far out.

That would explain why it seemed to fire on one cylinder all the time.

I'm now in the market for a "new" head.

Reply #49February 01, 2012, 07:09:20 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 07:09:20 pm »
Rabbitman here is a usefull link for degunking hydraulic tappets...............
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/CleaningHydroLifters.pdf

I have used tappets from the 1.0 litre petrol HZ engine in the 1.6 litre diesel  SB engine with no problems.

Checking the cam base circle, http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=21328.15 from yonks ago, should give some base circle diameters to try.
Good luck.

Reply #50February 01, 2012, 09:22:17 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
That was measured. Maybe close to 5/8

Reply #51February 01, 2012, 09:29:39 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 09:29:39 pm »
That was measured. Maybe close to 5/8

Ok, looks like my lifters weren't the problem, once I left them squished for a while they got a lot shorter than previously measured.

My issue is definitely caused by the seats being ground too far into the head and putting the lifter at its shortest while still holding some valves open.

Reply #52February 04, 2012, 08:45:51 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 08:45:51 am »
If you have an aftermarket camshaft, check the basecircle is 38mm....ish. Before you rip the guts out of the engine.
A mate had a three day swearfest before he found the replacement camshaft had been wrongly dimensioned by the VERY reputable makers.
Don't take anything for granted. ;)

Reply #53February 04, 2012, 06:52:47 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 06:52:47 pm »
Just measured at slightly LESS than 37mm. This is a hydro engine so the cam is a bit different than solid.

Reply #54February 08, 2012, 02:25:03 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2012, 02:25:03 pm »
Not sure what's going on any more. I totally flattened the lifters (though some are still being stubborn about it) and put in one lifter at a time, bolted the cam down and I can compress the little spring inside the lifter without opening the valve. So it would appear I don't really have a problem other than lifters that were pumping up too far.

I'm currently soaking all of the lifters in some toxic chemicals to try and loosen whatever is keep a few from wanting the bleed down. There are about 3 that I can squeeze over night and they'll flatten but as soon as I let up on 'em they don't want to squeeze all the way down again. The rest seem to be totally empty.

That minimum VC surface to stem tip measurement in the book may be not the limit but probably leaves enough room for valve wear over the years.

My plan is to empty all the lifters and put it all back together and see what happens. I have a HG on the way in case I find that I do have to grind the stems shorter.

Reply #55February 10, 2012, 01:22:34 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 01:22:34 pm »
Not sure what's going on any more. I totally flattened the lifters (though some are still being stubborn about it) and put in one lifter at a time, bolted the cam down and I can compress the little spring inside the lifter without opening the valve. So it would appear I don't really have a problem other than lifters that were pumping up too far.

I'm currently soaking all of the lifters in some toxic chemicals to try and loosen whatever is keep a few from wanting the bleed down. There are about 3 that I can squeeze over night and they'll flatten but as soon as I let up on 'em they don't want to squeeze all the way down again. The rest seem to be totally empty.

That minimum VC surface to stem tip measurement in the book may be not the limit but probably leaves enough room for valve wear over the years.

My plan is to empty all the lifters and put it all back together and see what happens. I have a HG on the way in case I find that I do have to grind the stems shorter.

have you checked for a stuck oil pressure check valve?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #56February 10, 2012, 02:16:30 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 02:16:30 pm »
Check valve in the lifter or you mean the relief valve in the oil pump? Oil pressure is lower than I like so that can't be the issue. I got the lifters working good now, I think they had something gunked in there and weren't bleeding down.

Reply #57February 10, 2012, 02:35:17 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »
Check valve in the lifter or you mean the relief valve in the oil pump? Oil pressure is lower than I like so that can't be the issue. I got the lifters working good now, I think they had something gunked in there and weren't bleeding down.

didnt you REPLACE the lifters tho?

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #58February 10, 2012, 04:00:10 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2012, 04:00:10 pm »

No, I didn't think it would be worth it if these were still fixable, which they were I guess they seem to be working fine........

Reply #59February 10, 2012, 04:06:51 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »

No, I didn't think it would be worth it if these were still fixable, which they were I guess they seem to be working fine........

i have a set of lifters out of an AAZ that crashed.. and those lifters function as new, but that doesnt mean i would ever consider running them..

S-PAutomotive.com