S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: trans drain plug thread pitch?  (Read 4850 times)

December 13, 2011, 04:48:04 pm

bgbmxer

• Junior

trans drain plug thread pitch?
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »
spent a few minutes looking it up  but didnt find any info on what pitch it might be. is it regular npt or british pipe thread or metric? im looking to put a new plug in when i change the oil. thanks ahead of time this is on the 020 trans by the way

Reply #1December 13, 2011, 04:54:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: trans drain plug thread pitch?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:54:32 pm »
spent a few minutes looking it up  but didnt find any info on what pitch it might be. is it regular npt or british pipe thread or metric? im looking to put a new plug in when i change the oil. thanks ahead of time this is on the 020 trans by the way

i know its metric, just like everything else on a VW, just dont know the size.

why are you replacing the drain plug? is the head of it stripped out? that should be the only reason to replace it.

just order a drain plug for a mid 90s chevy 1500 truck (NV3550 5 spd trans) and that will work. ive used a drain plug from a 94 chevy 1500 V6/5spd in a VW trans before, without issue.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2December 13, 2011, 05:36:31 pm

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:36:31 pm »

i know its metric, just like everything else on a VW, just dont know the size.

why are you replacing the drain plug? is the head of it stripped out? that should be the only reason to replace it.

just order a drain plug for a mid 90s chevy 1500 truck (NV3550 5 spd trans) and that will work. ive used a drain plug from a 94 chevy 1500 V6/5spd in a VW trans before, without issue.

because if its npt i would replace it with any plug i want. so i dont need a stupid tool or to make up a tool. ill probably end up making a tool.

Reply #3December 13, 2011, 05:51:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:51:48 pm »
if thats the only reason, then just make the tool..

FWIW, VW is not the only company that used plugs like that on transmissions.. so the tool will be useful on other vehicles also, as was mentioned..

you can take a bolt with a 17mm head, and weld a nut on the threaded part, and you have an instant tool. or weld a handle to the bolt.

that plug is low profile so it doesnt catch on anything.. if you had a plug with a nice big head on it, something could rip it right out of the transmission..

if you work on VWs very often, the tool will be better, because most older VWs use that style of plug..

rather than just replacing the plug with something you can get a wrench on..

if you have a welder, or a buddy with a welder, then a tool is EASY to make.. took me 5 mins..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4December 13, 2011, 07:51:17 pm

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:51:17 pm »

FWIW, VW is not the only company that used plugs like that on transmissions.. so the tool will be useful on other vehicles also, as was mentioned..

you can take a bolt with a 17mm head, and weld a nut on the threaded part, and you have an instant tool. or weld a handle to the bolt.

that plug is low profile so it doesnt catch on anything.. if you had a plug with a nice big head on it, something could rip it right out of the transmission..

if you work on VWs very often, the tool will be better, because most older VWs use that style of plug..

if you have a welder, or a buddy with a welder, then a tool is EASY to make.. took me 5 mins..

have a welder. they do make plugs that size with smaller allen heads in them which would be easier. ill just weld a nut to an old wrench and be done with it.

dont work on many vws just this one. only dodges.

Reply #5December 13, 2011, 08:07:46 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 08:07:46 pm »

have a welder. they do make plugs that size with smaller allen heads in them which would be easier. ill just weld a nut to an old wrench and be done with it.

im sorry :'(

Reply #6December 13, 2011, 09:13:27 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 09:13:27 pm »
And Oldsmobiles haha
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #7December 13, 2011, 10:27:10 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:27:10 pm »
i really think its npt.. its a taper thread...

smaller not such a good idea.. and honestly.. welded bolt trick never seems to work for me..

one thing to rember.. this is biggy... do not make tight tight when the tranny is warm/hot.. you will fight it big time to get it out ever again..

just visit a snap on guy.. send the ~$20 on the 17mm allen socket.. i suggest 1/2" drive.. yes ive had them that tight...

Reply #8December 14, 2011, 12:39:05 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:05 am »
Since I used the TDI 12pt crank bolt I needed a 12pt socket. Well the 6pt socket 19mm I have wasn't being used so I took an old wheel bolt and burnt it into my socket. Now I have a 1/2" drive trans tool socket. Works real slick.

Reply #9December 14, 2011, 12:41:30 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 12:41:30 am »
I bought a set of Allens on 1/2 inch drive for less than 10 bucks.  Works great, and less filling. 

Reply #10December 14, 2011, 03:36:25 am

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 03:36:25 am »

dont be sorry. my dodges treat me fine.

Reply #11December 14, 2011, 03:38:24 am

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:38:24 am »
i really think its npt.. its a taper thread...

smaller not such a good idea.. and honestly.. welded bolt trick never seems to work for me..

one thing to rember.. this is biggy... do not make tight tight when the tranny is warm/hot.. you will fight it big time to get it out ever again..

just visit a snap on guy.. send the ~$20 on the 17mm allen socket.. i suggest 1/2" drive.. yes ive had them that tight...

i was gonna use some thread tape and soft setting pipe dope so that it would be easier to get out next time. they probably used something different from the factory that makes it a pita

Reply #12December 14, 2011, 03:39:10 am

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 03:39:10 am »
And Oldsmobiles haha

haha yea its for sale to. i hate working on chevys period.

Reply #13December 14, 2011, 01:47:08 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 01:47:08 pm »

i was just playing.. i always poke a little fun at ford and dodge guys.

Reply #14December 14, 2011, 07:30:44 pm

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 07:30:44 pm »

i was just playing.. i always poke a little fun at ford and dodge guys.

cant poke fun at what you cant keep up with haha

Fixmyvw.com