Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AUG longevity?  (Read 2264 times)

December 04, 2011, 03:27:02 pm

smokin_fun

• Junior

AUG longevity?
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:27:02 pm »
My spare tranny i drive around with in my trunk is an AUG with a peloquin shim kit. I have lately been thinking about swapping it for my cth because i am rarely on the highway and feel the closer gearing would be better and funner.

My question is how do these hold up to proper diesel power? (1.6 td giles pump+++27psi...etc.) Also is the gearing that much better in the real world of tight and twisties?

If anyone is running one of these shim kits on a diesel as well: Do they make a noticeable difference?

Reply #1December 04, 2011, 03:38:00 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: AUG longevity?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:38:00 pm »
My spare tranny i drive around with in my trunk is an AUG with a peloquin shim kit. I have lately been thinking about swapping it for my cth because i am rarely on the highway and feel the closer gearing would be better and funner.

My question is how do these hold up to proper diesel power? (1.6 td giles pump+++27psi...etc.) Also is the gearing that much better in the real world of tight and twisties?

If anyone is running one of these shim kits on a diesel as well: Do they make a noticeable difference?

dont have the shim kit, but i have an AUG behind my diesel, and its FUN!

i would do it again in a heart beat. i love the way my AUG feels when i got the boost to pull every gear to 5k+ rpms.. they are way more fun behind a TD than a DIGI gasser engine..

i really REALLY wish i had a mini-slip kit, or a full LSD in my trans. my car loves to light off the passenger side tire.. its about bald, the drivers side is still over half tread..

this tranny should be awesome for a corner carving mk2 monster..

whats a CTH trans? even an 020?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2December 04, 2011, 03:51:34 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:51:34 pm »
Is your diff bolted or still riveted? That's generally the first thing to go

A lot of people on the Vortex complain about blowing through 020's, but the funny thing is that they're the same people who talk about shifting without the clutch and without letting off the gas. If you treat your trans well, it'll hold up fine. I don't even mean babying it either, but as long as you don't miss shifts and grind it in too often or dump the clutch to chirp the tires in 2nd and 3rd gear often, it'll hold up fine

Plus they're cheap and easy to swap out if you do feel like beating on it  ;D

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Reply #3December 04, 2011, 04:03:22 pm

smokin_fun

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:03:22 pm »
I have a 98 tdi tranny...maybe its ath. Its got the long gear set.

Okay you've sold me on the aug. I have tires spinning all the time in corners.

I spent the last two years dialing in suspension on my mk2 so that it could use the power. H&r coils (not low at all really...maybe 1.5" below stock), strut bars, but one of the biggest improvements came by staggering the front track wider than the back by 10mm. I have 25mm h&r spacers in the front and 20's in the back. This made a HUGE difference to the understeering characteristic of the car. Also slowed the onset of wheel spin, But best of all the car can oversteer like the Duke Boys on crack. Now the car grips like a barnacle as long as you don't give it too much power, has minimal u/steer, wicked lift off o/steer and beautiful balance in the corners.
Oh yeah it looks badass as well!

After xmas i will put the aug in and report on the shim kit as well.

Thanks R.O.R!

Reply #4December 04, 2011, 04:12:32 pm

smokin_fun

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 04:12:32 pm »
Sorry i was typing while you replied Radotd.

I think its bolted but i will check before installation. I have heard the same about that.

I blew a clutch spring through the tranny case out in port renfrew on my first drive after break in with the motor done up. Going up hill in third. Still drove the 100km's home and to work for a week! They really are not that bad.

I find i break motor mounts, bearings and cv's far more often than trannys. Thankfully. I go by the rule that brakes are for stopping and gears are for going. And vw's are NOT drag racers. (my sucker friend fell for the rolling in second race in his 1.8t....smoked him. Literally, couldn't even see him behind me for the cloud of eco-friendliness i was spewing)

Reply #5December 04, 2011, 04:17:55 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 04:17:55 pm »
I have a 98 tdi tranny...maybe its ath. Its got the long gear set.

Okay you've sold me on the aug. I have tires spinning all the time in corners.

I spent the last two years dialing in suspension on my mk2 so that it could use the power. H&r coils (not low at all really...maybe 1.5" below stock), strut bars, but one of the biggest improvements came by staggering the front track wider than the back by 10mm. I have 25mm h&r spacers in the front and 20's in the back. This made a HUGE difference to the understeering characteristic of the car. Also slowed the onset of wheel spin, But best of all the car can oversteer like the Duke Boys on crack. Now the car grips like a barnacle as long as you don't give it too much power, has minimal u/steer, wicked lift off o/steer and beautiful balance in the corners.
Oh yeah it looks badass as well!

After xmas i will put the aug in and report on the shim kit as well.

Thanks R.O.R!

i want pics.. your car sounds EXACTLY like what i want to build..

my mk1 handles like GARBAGE..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6December 04, 2011, 10:58:14 pm

smokin_fun

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:58:14 pm »
Sorry don't have pics. Crack heads stole my camera (and ipods, and leatherman, razor?, And felting supplies wrapped up like a present for my pregnant friend????WTF eh) out of my audi back in the summer.

What are you riding on? A rabbit should be able to handle better than a mk2 if its done up right. And soooo much lighter.

I highly recommend the H&R coils (streets not ultra lows) and spacers combo. The wider track made a massive difference after the coils were put on, and the stagger should be done for sure. A couple hundred bucks on spacers goes along way.

I originally had just the 20mm's on the back and it handled like ***. Utterly dangerous ***. In the wet it was like not having steering at all, add in all the torque and it was useless. Looked real cool i guess if you never drove it. WHen i added the 25's on the front though...instant hard on. In fact my next major purchase will have to be a dry sump oil setup.

One warning: I gradually achieved my setup over many months of add ons and getting used to changes. The car handles drastically different now. If you do all of these things at once be prepared and test the boundarys carefully. Lift off over steer is a real factor, and alot of fun with the high revving 1.6. But holy *** watch out in the rain! And forget about dirt roads!!!

If you find the stuff cheap and used you can be in it for under a grand. Maybe try tightening your steering rack abit too. Way better road feel.

I am excited about the AUG now. No more third gearing it everywhere.  :D

Reply #7December 05, 2011, 11:40:14 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 11:40:14 am »
Sorry don't have pics. Crack heads stole my camera (and ipods, and leatherman, razor?, And felting supplies wrapped up like a present for my pregnant friend????WTF eh) out of my audi back in the summer.

What are you riding on? A rabbit should be able to handle better than a mk2 if its done up right. And soooo much lighter.

I highly recommend the H&R coils (streets not ultra lows) and spacers combo. The wider track made a massive difference after the coils were put on, and the stagger should be done for sure. A couple hundred bucks on spacers goes along way.

I originally had just the 20mm's on the back and it handled like ***. Utterly dangerous ***. In the wet it was like not having steering at all, add in all the torque and it was useless. Looked real cool i guess if you never drove it. WHen i added the 25's on the front though...instant hard on. In fact my next major purchase will have to be a dry sump oil setup.

One warning: I gradually achieved my setup over many months of add ons and getting used to changes. The car handles drastically different now. If you do all of these things at once be prepared and test the boundarys carefully. Lift off over steer is a real factor, and alot of fun with the high revving 1.6. But holy *** watch out in the rain! And forget about dirt roads!!!

If you find the stuff cheap and used you can be in it for under a grand. Maybe try tightening your steering rack abit too. Way better road feel.

I am excited about the AUG now. No more third gearing it everywhere.  :D

my mk1s have always handled like a bag of dog****...

the mk2 cars are soo much stiffer, and have like 5" more suspension travel.

i cant keep a suspension in a mk1 around here. i replace struts a couple times a year on mk1 cars.. my mk1 is sitting right now, because of a bad wheel bearing, blown out struts, and need of an alignment..

the roads around here suck, and the front of a mk1 is pretty fragile IMHO..

Reply #8December 05, 2011, 03:11:10 pm

smokin_fun

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 03:11:10 pm »
I hear ya! My mk2 is sitting because of a bad bearing right now.

If you find some of the street coils you will love em. When i first got the m i jacked my car up a few inches above stock. I loved it. Frost heaves, dips, speed bumps= jumps!

Where it is now is perfect, i have to try to make things rub. And i can still ollie my car off of things. Oh yeah and its more comfy than stock suspension on any car i have ever been in.

It sounds like oregon roads are alot like bc ones (rough!). maybe look into these: www.hotbits.ca 

And watch this for some inspiration:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs4donyiQgo

Reply #9December 05, 2011, 03:15:01 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:01 pm »
i just got done putting a new suspension in my mk2, used full KYB GR-2 suspension, and cut stock VW coils..

it handles amazing, and rides wonderful..

theres no way a mk1 could ever hold a candle to a mk2..

think if i ever build another mk1 car, its going to have mk2 strut towers, and front suspension..