S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Leaky and Injector Blow by 1.6TD?  (Read 7244 times)

December 04, 2011, 11:12:02 am

badersbus

Leaky and Injector Blow by 1.6TD?
« on: December 04, 2011, 11:12:02 am »
Hi All.
After a long time rebuilding my sons caddy pick up , it was time for the first time start up. The engine been rebuilt by an engine reconditioner and  has had all new bearings , valve guides anything that it really needed and i was hoping it was going to be fairly trouble free... how wrong can you be.
After pulling diesel through from a dry tank with a primer bulb  , turning it over and cracking off the injector pipes , the engine fired up fairly quickly.
It was immediately obvious though that the high pressure fuel pipes were leaking to the Injectors , but more seriously No 4 injector was blowing badly past the injector thread in the head. When we looked carefully we were not sure that diesel was leaking from the actual Injector bodies as well. The injectors have been professionally rebuilt and pop tested i might add.
Looking for a bit of help and advise if poss. Below is a picture of the seat in the head where the washer goes , can / does this need reseating ? Can it be done in situ ?
I torqued the injectors in to 70Nm and used new washers. The high pressure fuel pipes do not seem to be seating correctly on the end of the injector either.. suggestions ??.
Also , i assume the injectors have been assembled correctly , but can they leak from the body , if so can i give them a little nip tighter ?

Any help would be much appreciated , i have got access to another head which has been refurbed , is this the way to go ? I just didnt want to have to pull the head again

Reply #1December 04, 2011, 04:57:18 pm

sprstu

• Junior

Re: Leaky and Injector Blow by 1.6TD?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »
Injector washer fail. There is a special washer that fits down in the head and seats against the Nozzle body. These are one use 'crush' washers, in that, when you remove and injector you need to get a new washer. When one is not installed, or installed incorrectly, you will have serious pressure come up around the the injector body.
Mk1 caddy TD, mk4 Golf Tdi

Reply #2December 04, 2011, 05:49:44 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:49:44 pm »
Hi All.
After a long time rebuilding my sons caddy pick up , it was time for the first time start up. The engine been rebuilt by an engine reconditioner and  has had all new bearings , valve guides anything that it really needed and i was hoping it was going to be fairly trouble free... how wrong can you be.
After pulling diesel through from a dry tank with a primer bulb  , turning it over and cracking off the injector pipes , the engine fired up fairly quickly.
It was immediately obvious though that the high pressure fuel pipes were leaking to the Injectors , but more seriously No 4 injector was blowing badly past the injector thread in the head. When we looked carefully we were not sure that diesel was leaking from the actual Injector bodies as well. The injectors have been professionally rebuilt and pop tested i might add.
Looking for a bit of help and advise if poss. Below is a picture of the seat in the head where the washer goes , can / does this need reseating ? Can it be done in situ ?
I torqued the injectors in to 70Nm and used new washers. The high pressure fuel pipes do not seem to be seating correctly on the end of the injector either.. suggestions ??.
Also , i assume the injectors have been assembled correctly , but can they leak from the body , if so can i give them a little nip tighter ?

Any help would be much appreciated , i have got access to another head which has been refurbed , is this the way to go ? I just didnt want to have to pull the head again

The damage looks more like historic screwdriver damage from attempts to get an old heatshield out.
I'd be tempted to try a dab of exhaust paste. If you need to reuse a heatshield, then reform it first.. I'd do that because it maybe that no heatshield will work.

Injector's body can leak because occasionally the new nozzle upper mating face is not perpendicular to the injector body. More usually it is the body out of true, or merely a mismatch. Sometimes undoing and redoing can help.

Don't work in NM cus I don't understand them ;D, but don't over torque either.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 05:56:41 pm by Mark(The Miser)UK »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #3December 04, 2011, 06:34:22 pm

Turftech

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 06:34:22 pm »
I'll leave it to others with more experience with VW heads, but on other makers heads you can resurface those seats.  I don't know if thicker sealing washers are available for these heads though...  Most injector shops have different thicknesses available.  One thing I do know is that I don't think you could resurface those in situ without a ton of shavings down the bore.  One looks very pitted indeed.  Perhaps the refurbed head is the ticket?  Here is a pic of an injector seat resurfacing tool if you are interested; http://store.europarts-sd.com/injectorremovaltool-sprinter2003-present-1-1-1.aspx

And for info purposes, I have annealed injector sealing washers for reuse many times.  Just heat it with a propane torch until it is cherry red then quench it in water.  Good to go in a pinch.  If you can get new though...
'90 Jetta GL TD  570'000 Kms and counting (Gave her to a friend)
'92 Passat G60 Syncro Wagon 180'000kms. TDI conversion project
'87 Jetta Coupe 325'000kms. MF IDI conversion project

Reply #4December 04, 2011, 08:50:16 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 08:50:16 pm »
Annealing is fine, but useless if you don't reform.

Without annealing I had my first shield fail [outside engine] after 15 reuses. The other 3 were fine, but I've replaced them to keep reuse count simple! Safe to reuse 5x I'd say.

A bevelled cutter would be required. 

You would need to check the amount of flesh left if you cut though, and insert an injector with and without a shield to see if the injector would drop far enough
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #5December 04, 2011, 10:24:44 pm

Turftech

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:24:44 pm »
Annealing is fine, but useless if you don't reform.

Quite agree.  Just thought I'd add the bit about annealing.  Softens the copper up nicely.

Reply #6December 05, 2011, 05:32:00 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:32:00 am »
The IDI heat shields are steel, not copper.  You could attach a heat shield to a piece of allthread using a nut on either side.  Fashion a handle to the end (a piece of tight fitting hose?).  Use valve lapping paste.  Clean it well afterward.  

I was going to say that; then I remembered...

I got them out of a Ford IIRC.
I've not filed one to see if it were merely plated, but if it were copper alloy, then it would sure suck the heat out.
Conversely note the hole is bigger to allow the injector centre to run warmer perhaps?

EDIT: Front 3 shields are VW
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:24:10 pm by Mark(The Miser)UK »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #7December 05, 2011, 10:07:10 am

Turftech

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:10 am »
The IDI heat shields are steel, not copper.  

Intriguing.  I would think a full steel washer alone would be an issue.  I have not had occasion to tear down a VW head, yet, but will be very soon.  I'll be curious to see what crush washers NW Injection includes with the rebuilt injectors. 

S-PAutomotive.com