Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: E-Code headlight upgrade  (Read 5195 times)

November 24, 2011, 09:18:57 pm

camboscams

• Veteran

E-Code headlight upgrade
« on: November 24, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »
So I'm planning on upgrading my headlights with these bad boys http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=744 I looked into getting these a long time ago and I talked to the owner and he suggested a set of bulbs(which I can't remember) if I didn't want to upgrade my wiring but I'm ready to bite the bullet and add the required relays and wiring to make it handle some high wattage. I can't get ahold of anyone to ask them this question due to the holidays. So my question is do any of you all have any experience with any of these bulbs or e-codes for that matter?

81' White 1.6l Rabbit 4dr Holseted
72' Ford F-250 390cid
2014 JSW 2.0L TDI Stg 2, CP3 HPFP

Reply #1November 24, 2011, 10:09:54 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: E-Code headlight upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 10:09:54 pm »
I would think any of those bulbs would do fine. I have H4 bulbs but I cannot remember what wattage I ended up getting. I think I got the 100/55 or something like that. There is a discussion on these in the General Section. CRSMP5 or some similar name has given tons of info on it.

Reply #2November 25, 2011, 12:33:46 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 12:33:46 am »
ive used 200mm hella e codes for years... my 1st car had them.. then they were put into 2nd car.. then into my caddy... and now into my toaster.. :D

but 1st things first.. relays.. even on sealed beams increase light 80%... every 1v of voltage drop reduced light by ALOT thinking something silly like 40% 

so add the relays... and GOOD GROUNDS close to each light.. you will kick yourself when you do this... and see the results..

now for the h4.. the stock 60/55 is a OK thing.. set of silver stars are good upgrade..

100/80w.. they are pretty impressive... BUT life is alot less then the stock wattage bulbs... also if you live in a ranny place with black top.. 100/80w bulbs reflect right off the wet blacktop.. ya there is light.. but gets sketchy vs a 60/55...

stay away from blue tint if you got blacktop also... blue great on concrete.. but crappy on black..

hid conversions.... your linked place no way no how sells.. will not as its not "proper" so do not even mention hid with them... but my toaster has hid conversions in the 200mm squares and i like them most of all the bulbs ive tried... up in general section is a hid topic that covers that...

i wish hella would do the 200mm squares like they do the 165mm ones.. aka the ff version.. those would be tits with hid i think... i really need to buy a set of them still to play with on a mk1 jetta...

Reply #3November 25, 2011, 01:00:58 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:00:58 am »
I wish hella would do the 200mm squares like they do the 165mm ones.. aka the ff version.. those would be tits with hid I think... I really need to buy a set of them still to play with on a mk1 jetta...

What are the "ff" versions?

I too have run hella e-code setups for many years on several different vehicles and swear by them.

I'd wait until Monday and talk with the guys at susquehannna, they'll set you straight on what the best setup is for your particular situation. In any case the lights aren't going to ship until Monday at the earliest so why not?

They won't sell you hid stuff to run in your e-codes because the e-codes are not the right type of housing, you'll blind people have massive amounts of scatter and be no better able to see than with a good h4 bulb. Hids are for ricers.

Reply #4November 25, 2011, 01:26:22 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 01:26:22 am »
Beware! Hella are second rate lights. Do yourself a favor and buy the Cibie E codes. The reflectors are shinier. The lens is clearer and more sophisticated than Hella. Back in the day SEV Marchal and Cibie were for serious drivers. Hellas were sold to kids by Top Auto. (The K Mart of auto parts.)

The really "tits" set up was the SEV Marchal AMPILUX. They were all E codes back then, BTW. They had a separate H1-100 high beam inside a 7" round light. They turned light into day.  SEV Marchal is sadly, no more.

Reply #5November 25, 2011, 01:46:58 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 01:46:58 am »
The cibie's are nice and all but not worth twice the cost of hellas imo.

Reply #6November 25, 2011, 08:38:44 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:38:44 am »
someone should develop a light with the red, blue, and green all in one deal. That is what the old tv's used to use in them to make all the colors and my pal who was an artist used. He would paint paintings with 3 equal powered and spaced lights shinning down on his canvas and it would look 3d. He said it changes the way our eyes look at stuff. I have no clue on the science behind it, but it was neat to see. I think the same could be done with our headlamps if they had equal coatings on the bulb to change the light a tick. Another idea if someone had unlimited resources and time they could try for me.

Reply #7November 25, 2011, 11:43:00 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:43:00 am »

If you ever owned a set of Cibies you would not say that. They are worth EVERY PENNY. There are several Cibie dealers on line that will sell them for $75 a light for 7" rounds.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

Reply #8November 25, 2011, 12:29:08 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 12:29:08 pm »
someone should develop a light with the red, blue, and green all in one deal. That is what the old tv's used to use in them to make all the colors and my pal who was an artist used. He would paint paintings with 3 equal powered and spaced lights shinning down on his canvas and it would look 3d. He said it changes the way our eyes look at stuff. I have no clue on the science behind it, but it was neat to see. I think the same could be done with our headlamps if they had equal coatings on the bulb to change the light a tick. Another idea if someone had unlimited resources and time they could try for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbitron

Reply #9November 25, 2011, 02:01:22 pm

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 02:01:22 pm »

If you ever owned a set of Cibies you would not say that. They are worth EVERY PENNY. There are several Cibie dealers on line that will sell them for $75 a light for 7" rounds.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

We're talking about 200mm rectangular lamps, $200 a pair for the cibies, $100 a pair for the hellas. Not worth it in my opinion and I've run 5.75" round cibies never the 7's or any of their rectangular lamps.

Reply #10November 25, 2011, 02:07:51 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 02:07:51 pm »
the 200mm cibies ive ever seen were crap... they have a glass cone to cover the bulb to keep it a "sealed" beam and do not have a cut off like a hella does for road signs and such... but i could be wrong.. maybe there is a better version ive never seen...

the 7" round with 2 bulbs... yea those are tits.. but they dont make that in 200mm square..

165mm ff  http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4251

if anything like the old 550ff vs 550 fogs.. there should be a huge amount of light differance..

Reply #11November 25, 2011, 03:15:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »
ive used 200mm hella e codes for years... my 1st car had them.. then they were put into 2nd car.. then into my caddy... and now into my toaster.. :D

but 1st things first.. relays.. even on sealed beams increase light 80%... every 1v of voltage drop reduced light by ALOT thinking something silly like 40% 

so add the relays... and GOOD GROUNDS close to each light.. you will kick yourself when you do this... and see the results..

now for the h4.. the stock 60/55 is a OK thing.. set of silver stars are good upgrade..

100/80w.. they are pretty impressive... BUT life is alot less then the stock wattage bulbs... also if you live in a ranny place with black top.. 100/80w bulbs reflect right off the wet blacktop.. ya there is light.. but gets sketchy vs a 60/55...

stay away from blue tint if you got blacktop also... blue great on concrete.. but crappy on black..

hid conversions.... your linked place no way no how sells.. will not as its not "proper" so do not even mention hid with them... but my toaster has hid conversions in the 200mm squares and i like them most of all the bulbs ive tried... up in general section is a hid topic that covers that...

i wish hella would do the 200mm squares like they do the 165mm ones.. aka the ff version.. those would be tits with hid i think... i really need to buy a set of them still to play with on a mk1 jetta...

been there, done that.. the relay upgrade is AMAZING!!!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #12November 25, 2011, 05:33:52 pm

camboscams

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:33:52 pm »
Just talked to Jack i think it was at Susquehanna he said that the only difference between cibies and the hellas is the cutoff line, he described it as a clock, the hellas start it 9:00 and go to the center and then turn towards 2:00 and continue on and the cibies continue in the same as hellas until its across from about 2:30 and then goes horizontal. But Hellas do it at half the cost!  8) As far as bulbs from their list go, basically more wattage is better, and blue tinting on the bulb just filters it to produce a whiter light, which i would think as counterproductive as it is FILTERING some of the light. But after some more internet scouring i have turned up some good and bad reviews for each bulb, so anyone here have any experience with any of the bulbs from the list?
81' White 1.6l Rabbit 4dr Holseted
72' Ford F-250 390cid
2014 JSW 2.0L TDI Stg 2, CP3 HPFP

Reply #13November 25, 2011, 06:27:27 pm

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:27:27 pm »
I run the yellowstar 55/60 wattage I believe. Very yellow, I like them a lot.

Reply #14November 26, 2011, 02:52:54 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 02:52:54 am »
the 200mm cibies ive ever seen were crap... they have a glass cone to cover the bulb to keep it a "sealed" beam and do not have a cut off like a hella does for road signs and such... but i could be wrong.. maybe there is a better version ive never seen...

Those are DOT approved "BOBI" style Cibies NOT E codes. Cibie makes DOT approved lights, but ALL DOT lights suffer from the "drop 2" problems.

S-PAutomotive.com