Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: thread locker vs. antisieze; silicone vs. gasket; freeze plug sealant  (Read 3105 times)

November 22, 2011, 08:40:58 pm

wpinnix

• User+

Well, I'm finally ready to put my AAZ back together. I just need a reality check on where to use thread locker and where to use antiseize; should I use black rtv and where; will hylomar work as sealant for freeze plugs, where else to use hylomar? Please fill in the blanks, and correct me below....would be a big help. I searched the FAQs and didn't have much luck

So my thinking is:

Thread Locker
--Injection Pump bracket to block Bolts
--Oil Filter base to block bolts
--Oil Pump

Anti Seize
--Water pump mounting bolts
--Oil pan bolts, drain plug
--Exhaust and Intake manifold bolts
--turbo mounting bolts
--Injectors
--Glow Plugs
--All engine mounting and accessory (i.e. IP, starter, fans, vacuum pump, etc.) mounting bolts

Where to use black RTV in addition to gasket:
--Oil Pan
--Water Pump to block?? Hylomar??

Where to use Hylomar:
--Oil filter base to block gasket
--Freeze Plugs (??)

Reply #1November 22, 2011, 09:15:42 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

Re: thread locker vs. antisieze; silicone vs. gasket; freeze plug sealant
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:42 pm »
Only place I ever use anything is copper anti-seize on the turbo mount/downpipe bolts and loctite on the crank sprocket bolt.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #2November 22, 2011, 09:22:51 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 09:22:51 pm »
Thread locker (mostly use the blue stuff on small bolts) on everything except for things which may corrode or tap into aluminum, then use anti-sieze. These engines seem to vibrate things apart.

Some bolts are specified to be lubricated with clean engine oil only, head bolts are an example in some engines, check your manual...

There's also a liquid thread "sealer" that is use which is white, I put it on some things that tap into coolant.

I'm a big fan of hylomar and I use it on all paper or felt gaskets and some rubber o-rings that are prone to leaking.

I don't like to use RTV silicone on top of a gasket, especially rubber gaskets. I think it doesn't actually adhere well to gaskets and a leak will form. IMO, it's mainly a gasket substitute.

For freeze plugs, I use that old-school brush-on shellac sealant that comes in a metal can.  

Reply #3November 22, 2011, 09:51:22 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:51:22 pm »
i use teflon thread sealant on every head bolt i install in an engine.. its got teflon in it, its awesome stuff, even better than never seize..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4November 23, 2011, 08:19:48 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:19:48 am »
The only place I used RTV was on the hump of the valve cover seal in the corners. Hylomar is good stuff so I would suspect you could use it anywhere you felt the need for overkill. All your other ideas look good to me. ESPECIALLY the water pump and anti seeze, I use the nickel.

Fixmyvw.com