Author Topic: egt wire splice  (Read 2440 times)

November 22, 2011, 08:02:55 pm

paolomarks

• Junior

egt wire splice
« on: November 22, 2011, 08:02:55 pm »
Hello, I have just installed a westach egt gauge and thermocouple in my Vanagon AAZ.  How should I connect the two?  More specifically, what gauge wire and should I solder the connections or crimp.  On a similar note, how would a wire with more/less resistance effect the gauge reading.  Thanks, Paolo

Reply #1November 23, 2011, 08:12:01 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: egt wire splice
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:12:01 am »
It is dumb but you shouldn't soldier. I called westach and they want you to use only their crimps and wire. It makes sense to a point, but I think if they would disclose what they use you could find it elsewhere cheaper. If it is a K type gauge you can use up to 6 foot IIRC of K type thermocouple lead. Westach has some real small gauge stuff that they say to use that isn't K type, it is something different and they said you could use up to 20 foot without gauge inaccuracy. If you search their site you will find the crimps. I bought plenty just in case I needed to get it apart more than once. Also, their instructions on which probe wire goes to which gauge wire is a little sketchy in my opinion. At least the ones I got were.

Reply #2November 24, 2011, 09:45:06 pm

Syncroincity

• Veteran

Re: egt wire splice
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:45:06 pm »
Yeah, you have to use crimp or plug-in connectors of the same type of material as the wires; one is inconel, the other alumel, for type-K I believe.
I'm looking for the same thing right now, too, an extension for my Syncro. aircraftspruce.com has extension cables & specialized connectors, as do other suppliers, like Grainger. Google thermocouple cable.

They are not cheap... :P
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT