S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Changing Water Pump on 85 Jetta Diesel  (Read 2856 times)

November 16, 2011, 09:42:42 pm

85Jettaturbo

Changing Water Pump on 85 Jetta Diesel
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:42 pm »
OK this is kind of embarrassing but I'm changing the water pump on my 85 Jetta turbo diesel with AC and I can't get the AC bracket off that's just in front of the water pump. I took out the two bolts that go into the water pump and the one on top of the bracket just in front of the injector pump and there has to be some more but I just can’t see them.  Any help would be appreciated.  My Bentley is pretty lacking in details on this.
Thanks for any replies.
Brent

Update:  My nightmare continues as it looks like there are 2 more bolts hidden underneath the injector pump that look impossible to get at.  So now I'm back to plan A which was to just take the pump cover off as I was almost there untill I discovered the intermediate shaft sprocket has to come off as it looks like there is no way to get at the bottom of the two bolts behind the sprocket because of the tight clearance.  I was hoping the sprocket would pop off easily and bad luck again I broke about a 25mm length of the side of the sprocket trying to lightly pry it off.  Now it looks like I'll need to make up a puller to get it off.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:29:03 pm by 85Jettaturbo »

Reply #1November 16, 2011, 11:23:15 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: Changing Water Pump on 85 Jetta Diesel
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 11:23:15 pm »
Check out the diagrams on vagcat.com - you need to sign up for the forums to see the illustrations, but the "Parts Catalogue" part has basically every nut and bolt on every bracket shown.  It's super useful for sorting out things like what you're going through (plus great for figuring out what bolt you lost!!)

(and to the regulars out there - yep, it's working again)
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2November 17, 2011, 06:00:27 pm

85Jettaturbo

Re: Changing Water Pump on 85 Jetta Diesel
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 06:00:27 pm »
Thanks for the post,  that is a great site but unfortunately I had no eurekas looking at the exploded view of the AC bracket.  The Bentley manual makes it sound so simple by removing the alternator, compressor and PS.  After taking a day’s break I'll be looking it all over tonight again, but if anyone has any suggestions to what I’m missing I’d be grateful.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:08:32 pm by 85Jettaturbo »