S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Lookin' at getting HID lighting.  (Read 6068 times)

Reply #30November 17, 2011, 08:01:03 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Lookin' at getting HID lighting.
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2011, 08:01:03 pm »
I bought the H4 blue colored ones forget what they were I think 6000K. They are bright as can be, but like CRSMP5 said it is a different bright. It was when I changed to 7" rounds. I think the change to rounds was amazing in itself as I already had the aeros relayed and knew that difference. I am too cheap to buy more bulbs but I think my next ones will be a more white light. For me the black top driving is the killer. There are a ton of back roads but since I have grown up, got saved, and don't drink and drive anymore I don't drive the back roads at night really at all anymore. I do like the fact I can see deer coming from off the road way out. It is the brand new black top that just sucks so bad. You can't really see the road you just see everything else. The signs are lit up about 3/4 of a mile down the road if it is flat with brights, but the road is no brighter 10 feet in front of you than it is 100 feet.

So you think 4300k would be an improvement for blacktop? I don't want even a tiny bit of blue, I don't want yellow either so I might go with 4300k. Unless that'll still be in the blue range.......

From what I've read you don't want the road to be way lit up close or it'll screw up your night vision for far away but of course that'll change depending on wet road/dry road conditions.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #31November 17, 2011, 09:29:53 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 09:29:53 pm »
I honestly think a person needs 5 sets of bulbs to play with. I like mine but I think I would like something else better. Just had a weird thought, maybe mix and match bulbs with a blueish and yellowish colored bulb...kind of like a projection screen TV. Just thinking out loud there, but honestly I think mine was a bit too blue, but on the back roads it lights it up like daylight. Older asphalt is good too, it is just the new completely black stuff I have trouble with.

Reply #32November 17, 2011, 11:30:47 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 11:30:47 pm »
stick to 4-5k.. 6k is got a blue tinge..

yellow.. depends.. in snow yellow good... as long as you no eat yellow snow..

but i guess the question is.. i know you got dirt roads.. but the main roads.. they blacktop or concrete?

also this is why i suggest a good set of fogs.. good ones with a ff style reflector really do improve light output... my fav foglignt is no longer made.. the old hella 550ff was so freeken good.. can still find the non ff versions but the light output sux.. i cracked up 3 of the 500s this past season on the toaster ;( so am still seeking a good replacement for fogs... summit has the 500 series for 100ish.. they work impressively good.. but sit too low on the toaster.. dips in parking lot to streets take them out.. so need to find some oval/squares for it..

the fogs really do good filling in the missing light.. up close.. but for me.. my hid's do light up the street.. just in rain.. they reflect.. but so do 100w bulbs..

Reply #33November 18, 2011, 02:50:52 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:52 pm »
We got all pavement or chip seal which looks the same. After it gets old it does start looking a little greyish. Any road thats not paved here is usually gravel unless it's just a trail then it stays dirt.

I never eat yellow snow ;D.........
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:52:37 pm by rabbitman »
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #34November 18, 2011, 06:30:43 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2011, 06:30:43 pm »
You guys are wrong about running both filaments in an H4 bulb. I have been doing it for years and never have seen a problem. I just see more of the road. Some lighting sites also recommend it.

Interesting....  any links to those sites?

Thinking about the wiring, I'm guessing you're running (3) dual 87 output relays?  The lows would get 1 relay as normal. The other 2 relays would power the highs and the lows to keep them all on continuously? 

-Todd

Reply #35November 18, 2011, 07:49:39 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »
Probably just holds the high beam stalk in the limbo between low and high beam. ;)

Reply #36November 18, 2011, 07:53:50 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 07:53:50 pm »
Probably just holds the high beam stalk in the limbo between low and high beam. ;)

I knew I was over thinking it!  I'll just wedge a piece of wood in there....

-Todd

S-PAutomotive.com