Author Topic: prechambers cracked  (Read 2983 times)

November 05, 2011, 09:40:43 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

prechambers cracked
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:40:43 pm »
Today I pulled the head off and my faithful old bunny to change the HG to fix the oil and coolant leaks and while inspecting it and found that all of the PC's are cracked. Some are starting a second crack too.

Then while cleaning it I blew air into the PC from the HG side with the injectors in and 3 of 'em popped right out!!! One looks like it's been dancing around for a little while too it's kinda scuffed on the sides.

BTW this is a topline head with about 80,000 miles on it. All of the valves have small cracks between them that are not too big.

So should I just peen around the PC's and call it good? I have another head with good PC's but last I tried all but one was stuck. I'm heating the head now so if I get 'em out I'll use 'em I guess.

If they're stuck what's my options?

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1November 05, 2011, 09:57:25 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: prechambers cracked
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:57:25 pm »
Just check and the PC's from the topline head are NOT magnetic while the ones from my mexican "F" head are. FWIW the F head also has "ME" cast into it. This is all mech stuff.

I got the PC's out of the vw head and they're also cracked but not as bad.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #2November 05, 2011, 11:07:03 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 11:07:03 pm »
I would just peen them back in. I've seen lots of pre-cups with fine cracks but never actual pieces missing from them. The few pre-cup horror stories I've ever read about dealt with the whole pre-cup falling out for whatever reason.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #3November 06, 2011, 11:57:05 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 11:57:05 am »
Just check and the PC's from the topline head are NOT magnetic while the ones from my mexican "F" head are. FWIW the F head also has "ME" cast into it. This is all mech stuff.

I got the PC's out of the vw head and they're also cracked but not as bad.

any head that has ME, or ME3 cast into it, means its made in mexico.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4November 08, 2011, 10:16:15 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
I peened 'em in and put it back together. They weren't super tight like I wish but it'll have to do. If I'd never removed the head I wouldn't have known they were loose anyways if that makes any sense, so now I'll just try not to think about it.......

While I had it in the shop I changed out the IP bushings which had tons of slop. Put it back together and it still runs perfect accept for the slightly too retarded timing that will be fixed today.

S-PAutomotive.com