Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.9L rebuild and upgrades  (Read 2426 times)

February 03, 2006, 03:01:56 pm

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

1.9L rebuild and upgrades
« on: February 03, 2006, 03:01:56 pm »
New guy here.Been lurking for a bit,and have been impressed by the knowledge and quality posts here,so I decided to join.Also noticed a lot of Ontario guys too,as I'm in Brampton,just Northwest of T.O.

Now for my question(s).

I'm not a deisel newbie,have driven and wrenched on them for ages (licensed mechanic,I run my own shop).Currently driving a well modded Cummins Turbo diesel pickup,and a 1.6L NA Golf.

I just picked up a clean 97 Jetta 1.9L IDI Turbo with some engine damage for $500.Have yanked the motor,and found one piston melted down.Block is being bored\decked,and will rebuild the bottom end with oversize pistons and all new bearings.Head will also be redone with all new valves,guides,ect,along with some porting and polishing,and a 3 angle valve job.TDI crank gear mod will be done as well.

Turbo is also lunched,it's a K03-003.Is that the same as a K14 ? Turbo is whatever came stock on this car.

With a good solid motor for the foundation,I'm now looking at upgrades to complete the package.I'm looking for good driveability,good low end power (with minimal smoke,some is OK),and some decent mid to top end.I won't be spinning any crazy RPM's,or I would have done a 1.6L instead.Mileage is semi imporatant too,and I don't want it smoking like crazy.

I was thinking of using GTD nozzles to start,as well as turing up the pump myself.This should net a fairly noticeable gain.It may be enough on it's own.Will use probably 2.5" exhaust with maybe one muffler to keep the noise down a bit.Future mods may include a tuned Giles pump,and maybe a cam if needed.

So my questions are........

Will just turning up the fuel,and doing the govenor mods going to give me a good enough increase ?

Are the GTD nozzles the way to go ? The price sure seems good.I know they aren't the correct application for the 1.9L but they do work (or so I've read).Is this correct ? Any other injector recommendations,as the stockers are probably done with 300K on them.

What turbo ? I can pick up a brand new stock K03 from ADP for $625.00 Will this do the job ? Will it keep EGT's in check with these mods ? will it be enough with a Giles pump ? I have heard of guys running well above 20 PSI with these but is it good ? Isn't that turbo off the map at those boost levels ? I can also get some good prices on other turbos too,but what would you recommend ? I want it to spool pretty quick,so I don't want to go huge.If you do have any recommnedations,would you have a VW number,or OEM number so ATP can look one up for me ? or which ATP number I should order ? This is the most important question,as I don't want to be swapping turbos if I choose the worng one.

I may add an intercooler.I have access to lots of scrap cars,so I'd probably mod one to fit.Will this help the little K03 last ? It will help keep EGT's down,that's for sure.Any recommendations on which one to use ? Size ? outlets ? etc ? I want to keep the car looking stock,and don't want to hack up the front end to fit one.

Head studs neccesary ? I figure if I use a slightly bigger turbo,then boost levels can be kept lower,and still make the same power with lower EGT's.I don't want to spend the $$$ if the stock bolts (new of course) will do the trick.What is the max boost the stock 1.9 gasket and bolts will survive at reliably ?

Last question is about the clutch.The stock one is pooched,so it will be replaced.What will the stocker hold ? What aftermarket would be good ? I've seen some stock Sach's VR6 clutches for cheap,will this do ? Will it fit the stock trans ?

I can buy through Altrom at cost,as well through other suppliers.Any other good suppliers in the GTA or in Canada for parts (OEM and aftermarket).

Thanks in advance,look forward to hearing your replies.

Chris

Auto Proformance Services - VW Diesel parts and service
(416)565-7282

Reply #1February 03, 2006, 03:18:32 pm

addautomotive

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 03:18:32 pm »
Where are you buying your pistons? I'm looking for a set but boys, are they spendy!

Reply #2February 03, 2006, 03:57:13 pm

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:57:13 pm »
I have several sources for pistons,and prices vary too.I'm not sure of who the manufacturer is yet.May have to order a set in,and see what they are.I've heard the Kolbenshmidt's (sp ?) are the best.Prices range from $150 to $250 ea.Rings are additonal at $30-40 per piston.

I will keep you updated on what I go with.
Auto Proformance Services - VW Diesel parts and service
(416)565-7282

Reply #3February 04, 2006, 07:37:19 am

stewardc

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 07:37:19 am »
Thanks for starting this thread, my man. I also have access to a couple of 1.9s and am looking at rebuilding one (with intercooler) for a Caddy pickup. A local performance engine builder will do whatever I say, so keep us all informed as to where you go with this. I'll follow your lead.

Reply #4February 04, 2006, 02:25:30 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 02:25:30 pm »
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits