S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: The dune buggy runs!!!! Not diesel though  (Read 6180 times)

October 15, 2011, 10:14:43 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

The dune buggy runs!!!! Not diesel though
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:14:43 pm »
A while back I bought a shortened '56 beetle minus the body and engine. I've been in the process of rebuilding a squareback engine for about 10 years......I was young when I started and ran out of money. The squareback turned out to be too rusty to put the engine in so I opted to put it on the dune buggy with a CIS system from a '80 rabbit.

Long story short after messing around forever mounting the injection system swapping to a 12v tranny I got it to run ;D ;D.

Looks like junk 'eh, well it is junk haha, the engine seems to run good though. Couldn't get it to start for the longest time and then BOOM it fires up and runs perfect.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:21:18 pm by rabbitman »

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1October 15, 2011, 10:20:48 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: The dune buggy runs!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:20:48 pm »
I didn't do any of the horrible looking welds so don't laugh at me.........the guy that built it did thoughs.

So I know this ain't the right forum for this but some of you guys are aircooled fans too so I got some questions about it.

How do I know if the mixture is right? The exhaust gets really hot really fast if that's any help.

Throttle response is instant too.

The injection system is off a 1.6 rabbit gasser so it's the same size engine if that helps.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #2October 15, 2011, 11:26:06 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: The dune buggy runs!!!! Not diesel though
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:26:06 pm »
I think I have to look in the valve covers or something, every now and then while running it makes a bad sounding rattle. IDK if it's got something to do with the rockers or what.

Also it isn't advancing the timing at all when revved so I'll have to look into it.

When I first started it the timing was 15-20 btdc so I timed it at 0 tdc like the book says and it ran but wouldn't start again and if it when running if I let it idle down low it wasn't able to rise again unless I advanced the timing then it would run good again. The rattle I was talking about happens at any of the timings I tried.

I'm using the stock distributor that came with the engine, the engine was fuel injected from the factory so maybe I need a non fuel injected distributor.

I should get an account on the samba but I don't want to have another timing eating forum to visit haha ;D.

Reply #3October 16, 2011, 12:14:21 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:14:21 am »
mixture.. thats easy...

get a couple 60w bulbs for "high beams" turn the allen bolt int he cis to fastest idle.. walla... mixture is set..

Reply #4October 16, 2011, 12:13:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:13:54 pm »
uh, dont you need dunes, to justify having a dune buggy?!

lol..

its still a cool creation. who cares what it looks like, as long as its fun as hell..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5October 17, 2011, 10:26:29 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 10:26:29 pm »
mixture.. thats easy...

get a couple 60w bulbs for "high beams" turn the allen bolt int he cis to fastest idle.. walla... mixture is set..

I'll have to try that. And then do I just assume it'll stay correct for the rest of the load/rpm range? Is that also assuming it runs good at the specified spark timing? 'cause it doesn't, it likes to be advanced pretty far.

uh, dont you need dunes, to justify having a dune buggy?!

lol..

its still a cool creation. who cares what it looks like, as long as its fun as hell..

Come to think of it, what is a dune??? haha, yeah we don't have dunes but there's still plenty of places to go.......I doubt I'll feel like going any farther than I want to push it though haha.

Reply #6October 18, 2011, 12:53:17 am

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 12:53:17 am »
nice hybrid there for sure!

but everyone knows cis = beggging for turbo. lol
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #7October 18, 2011, 10:41:59 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:41:59 am »
yep thats how we set old pre o2 sensor cis bunnies and things..

Reply #8October 18, 2011, 07:11:25 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 07:11:25 pm »
Cool toy!! 

I doubt I'll feel like going any farther than I want to push it though haha.

and a very good rule of thumb!!!

Reply #9October 20, 2011, 03:48:42 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 03:48:42 pm »
Cool toy!! 

I doubt I'll feel like going any farther than I want to push it though haha.

and a very good rule of thumb!!!

.........but I know if I ever go drive it I'll go as far as it'll go though haha.

Haven't got a chance to mess with it yet.

Reply #10October 20, 2011, 03:53:50 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:53:50 pm »
............are those wheels welded to wheels on the back? looking for some more offset eh?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #11October 20, 2011, 03:57:37 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 03:57:37 pm »
............are those wheels welded to wheels on the back? looking for some more offset eh?

The previous owner/builder welded big truck wheels to the original bug rims so hw could run bigger tires for ground clearance, if they weren't offset enough they'd hit the rear torsion spring mount thing.

I know I'm gonna snag a tree with a rear tire and eat dirt.........

Reply #12October 20, 2011, 11:15:53 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:53 pm »
nice hybrid there for sure!

but everyone knows cis = beggging for turbo. lol

This buggy is just a shortened (14" I think) beetle with NOTHING in the front.....suspension/steering and for strength there's pipe welded the the sides of the floor pan extending forward and through the front torsion bars springs whatever they're called.

So there's very little weight up front, I can lift it and walk sideways without ruining my back. Any more power and the engine will hit the ground so I need to make a wheely bar, cut the exhaust and tilt it up about 45 degrees to keep it off the ground. If I ever get it driving it'll be crazy.

I want to put the fuel tank up front for weight but I'll see if it's worth it first. If it looks like the engine/injection will go together reliably I will try to find a better chassis to play with then I can build my own roll cage and not have to mess with this horrible one it has on it.

Reply #13October 23, 2011, 07:40:21 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 07:40:21 pm »
Well I hooked the coil and fuel pump to a switch and used a momentary switch for the starter and it works kinda.

It is such a clunky pile it makes me sick though. I just drove it a little bit and while it worked it makes funny noises and the clutch cable pulled through the lever so I had to start it in gear to get back to the shop.

It has 36.5 inch tires on the back so first gear idling is way too fast, I like to be able to putt if I want but this thing won't let that happen.

I only got up to second gear barely above idle and with the roads this slippery I thought I was gonna crash, it didn't take much to break the rear tires loose and get in a slide......the lack of brakes is not comforting either..........