Author Topic: WVO build threads  (Read 7213 times)

Reply #15October 08, 2011, 03:40:41 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: WVO build threads
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »
That is the value of going with wmo instead; one tank. You heat the wvo to the thin it; with wmo you thin it with gasoline, so you can cold start on it.. Essentially you don't have to modify the car in any way. And everyone's got oil changes.. Not everyone runs a Chinese restaurant

Reply #16October 08, 2011, 05:24:45 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 05:24:45 pm »
You heat the wvo to the thin it; with wmo you thin it with gasoline, so you can cold start on it.. Essentially you don't have to modify the car in any way.

If you heat WMO no need to thin it with gasoline run 100% ?????
My option is 2 tank is better then 1,even with 1.5 lit in my case.Problem is first start on COLD motor,cold injectors and cold fuel in injectors.WMO or WWO is not in shortcuts.
Only way I read is to heat motor by water Webasto and only then START motor,which I not test.
Did you drive on your way w which % and how long?
I`ll improve my English

Reply #17October 08, 2011, 11:23:20 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 11:23:20 pm »
I agree with you Mtrans..  WMO isn't necessarily a consistent fuel..  You never know what weight might be in there, or if the person runs their motor oil till it's the consistency of tar.. 

I like having the option to switch back to plain ole diesel in a pinch....  Temps can change rapidly in this part of the world..  Or if there is even slight antifreeze contamination of the oil that one may not catch it's hell to get out, and makes 'em run like poo after it's in the tank.. It is more hassle rigging everything up for 2 tanks, but so is walking in the cold cold rain...

But since we are on the subject of thinning..  I've read and talked with many (not necessarily reliable sources) that have used gasoline to thin their WVO or WMO.. The claims have always been "it works fine".. But never any details on what "fine" means, or how long they've done it..   I've always been under the impression that gasoline is counteractive in "fuel" for a diesel as it will reduce the cetane of the fuel..  Not to mention the lack of lubricity (which with WMO/WVO I guess doesn't matter so much)  I would think kero or even diesel (since ULSD is kinda thin) would be better options..  Am I on the right track with this? 

The other issue with thinning is that in time WVO/WMO (especially WVO) will separate like water out of oil..  Gas or diesel with WVO will separate in a matter of days without some slight agitation..  WMO takes a few weeks or more..  This isn't really a huge issue if you drive the car daily I guess..

I'm not speaking against blending your fuel, I did it myself a few months.. Just a throwing few thoughts here to keep in mind if one is considering the single tank thinning route...

A friend of mine has been blending WVO with diesel on his 7.3 IDI Ford rollback.. Mostly during the warmer months though.. He's had no issues as of yet, but I think he's only burning up to 25% wvo..

Reply #18October 09, 2011, 06:06:37 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 06:06:37 am »
I experimented with some clean wvo that was run through a centrifuge mixed with 20% gas last winter.  Before I ran it I left out a jug on the porch and a glass jar with a mixture of it with temps into the teens.  I didn't see seperation in either.  Obviously the straight oil gets thicker.

But I made the mistake of trying this mixture which seemed to atleast burn, without a second tank system.  Didn't take long before it started washing the tanks on 2 vehicles and leaving residue in the injection pump that almost stopped the cars from restarting again.  Luckily I caught it early and put startron in all the tanks, changed filter and did a couple soaks with atf fluid. 

That crap reacts terribly when left in the injection pump.  That pump seemed to work ok after the incident but I broke it all down later when starting over with a fresher pump I resealed.  Was surprised to see that layer of goo collected in the main pump body walls and especially between the part with the vanes (sorry i forget the name right now).  Couldn't even barely move that piece when I got to it, the oil built up in that area for whatever reason.

I ditched the project because I only wanted to get good oil that was dewatered, etc. and a supplier ran out and I couldn't buy it at a cost that made the conversion worth while.

It seemed to run ok when the engines were up to temp, a little quiter and the exhaust stunk, but if I knew for sure the engine wasn't harmed as long as you washed it out with a diesel switchover before shutdown I wouldn't have had any issues with it.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #19October 09, 2011, 09:50:35 am

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 09:50:35 am »
I agree with both of you.I am kind of blend (1.5L ULSD is not full 2 T).
For Viscosity testing:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=231&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9898
I put gas up to 5% in winter only don`t want going hihger,is it so hard to use 50 cm Cu  1/2" and 70 cm 8 mm for fuel inside and make heatexcenge.Some boys said even on more  than 10% gas don`t make problem for vepor in summer.
this one also
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=897&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
or this http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=9898&page=1#pid97816
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:08:18 pm by mtrans »
I`ll improve my English

Reply #20October 09, 2011, 08:51:57 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 08:51:57 pm »
I experimented with some clean wvo that was run through a centrifuge mixed with 20% gas last winter.  Before I ran it I left out a jug on the porch and a glass jar with a mixture of it with temps into the teens.  I didn't see seperation in either.  Obviously the straight oil gets thicker.

Wonder if temps may have slowed the separation?  I mixed WVO with off road diesel in one container, and gas in another but it was mid summer with temps in the 90's..  The gas took a week+ to separate, the diesel about 4 days...

Reply #21October 11, 2011, 02:21:22 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »
Wonder if temps may have slowed the separation? 

Mostly no,heat loose water oil bond then chill to eazy drain,better to filter cold w/o presure(which I don't do).
Once I have oil that (heat) didn't help,cold did.All is about what kind of oil you get and who know ELSE is in.
I`ll improve my English

Reply #22October 12, 2011, 01:08:47 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 01:08:47 am »
Mostly no,heat loose water oil bond then chill to eazy drain,better to filter cold w/o presure(which I don't do).
Once I have oil that (heat) didn't help,cold did.All is about what kind of oil you get and who know ELSE is in.

I was referring to the mix of WVO and Diesel..  I mixed about 50/50 WVO and diesel many years ago.. Within a few days the two separated.. But it was during hot weather....  Dmac did about the same but left it sit in cold weather and didn't get a noticeable separation..

Reply #23October 12, 2011, 03:26:30 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 03:26:30 pm »
I am teen on WWO exept I know DONOT mix WWO and WMO,only one up on time,it will gel.
WWO as I read is much worse on cold than WMO.
You need 1/2 of gas campare to ULSD,but you hit cetane ,so there is cetane boost in shops.Untill now I don't see reason to go more than 5% in my pleace of corse.Mix about 50/50 WVO/WMO and diesel work very good in IDI.
I`ll improve my English

Reply #24October 12, 2011, 04:43:50 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 04:43:50 pm »
WVO is indeed much worse when burned cold..  The glycerine found in it doesn't burn up and gums up rings and injector tips..  I believe it's also the glycerine that leave the nasty gunky deposits in the pump...

I've mixed WMO and WVO and burned it in a 2 tank system with no troubles..  I could see where mixing the two and thinning in one tank would lead to troubles...

Reply #25October 14, 2011, 01:04:56 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 01:04:56 am »
Good points on fill and venting...
If you have to do an extra 10 hours of work to get external fill, it is worth it.
If you pour veg oil over carpet, you are a sucker.

Never seen a kit with proper venting.
very few kit have a baffled tank, esp bad in Benzes.

If your kit comes with plastic coolant fittings, make a list, and throw them in the trash. Plastic has a 100% failure rate in coolant(yes OEMs do use it, often on $300 frequently failing parts).
Do not use copper with veg, green slime!
Every kit I've seen requires at least $100 in upgrade fittings at the hydraulic shop.

Just because your part was expensive, doesn't mean it is good or well engineered. Chances are it is specialized, so it is something cheap marked up 900%.

I think 10 hours worth of work to be able to use years worth of free fuel is a good tradeoff.
 I don't agree much with the points made in this post.
I haven't seen any plastic fittings but the PEX I use has worked great for years.
 Didn't have problems with my first system that used a copper heat exchanger in the tank, people said I would but never saw a problem with it.
 I've never used or recently shopped for a kit but the copper and compression fittings I use cost much less.

The main trick with a 2-tank setup is what do you do with the return line.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #26October 14, 2011, 01:30:31 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 01:30:31 am »
 The pex I used for coolant has taken some amazing abuse, but I did encounter some issue with some other fittings..  I had gotten a very course filter to install back at the tank to make up for the lack of a strainer in the tank..  It was one of those "racing" fuel filter that you could take apart and clean or replace the screen..  Wasn't able to find any at the time that were all metal so I settled for one with plastic hose nipples..  Absolute crap! Those plastic fittings would heat and cool, then leak air like a mofo.. Eventually I found brass fittings that would work in the thing...

Reply #27October 14, 2011, 01:59:51 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 01:59:51 pm »
The main trick with a 2-tank setup is what do you do with the return line.

Very,very true.
After 4 years I think my el.valve and fuel lines are little tired,so I plan to go on pneumatic (lines 10/8mm,-80 ... +150°C and fittings,manuel switch).
I`ll improve my English

Reply #28October 15, 2011, 11:08:09 am

the caveman

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 11:08:09 am »
I have to put in my 2 cents here as I used to do conversions; have about 40 under my belt, everything from every diesel VW except the latest CR TDI, early and late Merc's, Ford trucks, 7.3, 6.9 etc, Perkins , and Cats.
Never had any comebacks from customers except when they had poor WVO. I used to give a 40,000kms/.one year warranty and i guess it shows the quality of my installations.

I'm will not address any WMO as I've never done any, although would think about doing it.

All the conversions I did were 2 tank, parallel, setups. Heated tank, heated filter, heated fuel lines[ NO hose in hose like Frybrid, had one customer who tried doing his own and kinked the fuel line so bad it leaked into the coolant], one 6 way or 2 or 3 valves [ purging times only have some effect, there will always be some blending of VO and diesel ] and highly recommend a Plantdrive Vegetherm inline heater placed just before the injection system.

I used the best quality products [ the Arcticfox tank heat exchanger is garrantied for 1,000,000 kms !] but a system can be done for cheap-homemade tank and filter heater, manual valves etc, but i wouldn't cheap out on the Vegetherm. It plus it's temp sensor is less than $150 and is the best, most reliable way to get consistent VO fuel temps at the injection system.

Of course the quality of the WVO is the most important part of the equation. make sure you are filtering down to 2 microns and don't use ANY WVO that you suspect has water in it, unless you are using a good centrifuge.

My last 3 personal vehicles have now gone more than 300,000kms without any issues other than filter changes . As a matter of fact , the TDI I'm now driving was from a conversion I had done about 5 years ago. Before swapping the engine into a better body I decided to open the pump to see how much wear the was after 100,000 kms that my customer had done in that time. Well I was stunned that there was zero wear, only a slight tan film on the components which wiped off. Installed new seals and still running perfectly [ it actually has 440,000 kms].

hope this helps
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI