Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Lotos technology, anyone use 'em?  (Read 3405 times)

October 03, 2011, 04:37:38 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Lotos technology, anyone use 'em?
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:37:38 pm »
This is the one I'm lookin' at: http://www.lotostechnology.com/product_p/ltpdc2000.htm

I'm just curious if anyone has heard of these and what they thought of 'em.

Note, opinions must be FIRST OR SECOND HAND. I can do a web search and get plenty of nay saying along with yay saying so no need to post unless you really know something about it in which case I will be very grateful.

Thanks

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1October 04, 2011, 12:17:06 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
Re: Lotos technology, anyone use 'em?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:17:06 pm »
I know nothing about that one, but here is a link to a similar style of machine with a review.     I came across this one from a blacksmithing forum I belong to.
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/workshop-tour/tools/63-multiplaz-3500-review-unboxing

Lots more money though:  here's one U.S. site: http://www.ecowelder.com/#!__buy-online
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Reply #2October 05, 2011, 04:58:30 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:58:30 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I wish I could afford a known good quality welder but right now that's more than I can spend on one.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #3October 05, 2011, 05:10:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:10:54 pm »
ive been using a cheapo harbor freight welder all summer.. seems to do just fine.. it wont dig like my miller, but its fine for anything under 1/4"...

dunno if that bit of info helps you out much, but i just thought i would throw it out there.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4October 05, 2011, 09:12:01 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:12:01 pm »
Yeah, I think these chinese welders are pretty similar, the main difference is whether you get any support if you have problems. If they don't have any real US based support it would probably be difficult to get parts/service.

The main thing I didn't want in regards to opinions is the whole "you get what you pay for" speech, I've heard it a thousand times but for all I know the big brands probably use some chinese parts in there welders too.

I just don't want to drop almost a grand on something that has a 90% failure rate.

Now I'm lookin' at these: http://www.everlastgenerators.com/ seems like better North American based support.

Reply #5October 06, 2011, 12:15:22 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 12:15:22 pm »
If you are buying through a local dealer, ask for names and contact information of satisfied customers.   Best feedback is from someone who has one and can compare to other equipment.
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Fixmyvw.com