Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 td IP idle  (Read 4753 times)

October 05, 2011, 12:12:09 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

1.6 td IP idle
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:12:09 pm »
I just want to make sure as I want to adjust my idle down.   I have a Giles pump and I've turned fuelling up somewhat after a VNT install.
I've adjusted the throttle stop screw some and has got it down to about 1100 rpm (tach and checked electic tach on injector pump sprocket).
I have a fast idle linkage(see saw), is below for a 1.6 pump or a 1.9?  Thanks

"If your pump has the fast idle linkage on the back, which it sounds like it does from what you're saying, you need to adjust the idle at the fast idle seesaw thingy, NOT at the throttle lever stop. The throttle lever stop screw controlls residual volume, NOT idle.

For the sake of clarity, the seesaw at the back is the idle adjustment: one side is normal idle and the other is the fast idle setting, if the additional linkage to the cold start lever and knob exists. It adjusts the idle directly via an internal spring connected to the govenor system.

The stop the actual throttle lever rests on is known as the residual fuel screw...indirectly related to idle."

99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny
96' 1.6 TD Golf, Giles pump, VNT 17, Gas changed to Diesel, Air to Water Int.

Reply #1October 05, 2011, 12:45:03 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

Re: 1.6 td IP idle
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:45:03 pm »
I thought I'd add it's a '92 pump, last year of 1.6 in Canada.
99' 1.9 1Z Tdi, hybrid pump -1.9 housing & rover internals, 2052 wastegate turbo,.25 hflox nozzles, SDI intake, CTN tranny

Reply #2October 05, 2011, 09:26:32 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »
There is the see-saw, but there's also a rod with a slotted end right beside it.  That rod is the actual idle speed adjustment (they can be kinda stiff to turn), while the see-saw lets you adjust the difference between "normal" idle and "fast" idle when the cold start cable is pulled out.

I would not mess with the residual fuel setting unless you're having a problem you can't otherwise solve.  Since you have a Giles pump, you also have an excellent pump master who will tell you what to do to make your pump work to the best of its ability, rather than just listening to a bunch of us know-it-alls on a forum out here!!
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #3October 06, 2011, 12:01:09 pm

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:01:09 pm »
I didn't think Idle would be a big deal.  I didn't do anything to the see saw stops, but I did adjust the long slotted rod and that dropped it down to less than 1000 rpm; and the fast idle still works properly.  It's idling perfectly now.  I will adjust the residual pressure back to what it was.  I agree - since it's a Giles pump it needs to be back were it was.

Is the long slotted rod the proper adjustment point for idle(the one that goes down to the bottom of the pump)?  Just want to make sure, because in the past I always thought it was the residual pressure adjustment...

Reply #4October 06, 2011, 12:44:09 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 12:44:09 pm »
The long slotted rod that goes down to the bottom of the pump is definitely the correct place to be adjusting the idle speed.  :)  That's what it says in the various manuals anyhow!!  The throttle lever stop was the idle adjustment on EARLY pumps, but by the late 80's they have the setup on your pump.

There's a small extra spring inside your pump for idle control that connects to the back of the see-saw (via a bell crank internal to the pump). The slotted rod causes the see-saw to rock one way or the other when the cold start handle is pulled.  The spring inside the pump is attached to the governor lever, adding or removing a small amount of tension when the see-saw moves one way or the other.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5October 07, 2011, 12:23:36 am

rodpaslow

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:23:36 am »
I've adjusted the long slotted rod to the end as I don't want to twist it out of the thread it's in (I think it gets very hard to turn if it's near the end of the thread?).

So I adjusted the residual pressure down some to get it idling at about 1000.  Before in this post I thought I could turn the residual pressure back to where it was, but when I do, the idle gets higher to about 1100-1150.  What will lower residual pressure do?  Is this a bad thing, worse that just having a excessively high idle?  Can I adjust anything else to reduce it?

S-PAutomotive.com