Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Scrap the Franken?? FINALLY RUNNING PERFECT! :)  (Read 8007 times)

September 28, 2011, 10:21:44 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

Scrap the Franken?? FINALLY RUNNING PERFECT! :)
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:21:44 am »
Well, Now the colder weather is here, I've just about had enough of the smokey old franken. It's got to the point that I'd rather cycle than drive it.

Sure I can advance it, but I lose power and it seems to clack more. Having already dropped to a 2 notch, I see only 2 options.

1- re-fit the 1.6 head
2- modify the cold start advance cam to give more advance
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:42:50 pm by regcheeseman »

Reply #1September 28, 2011, 11:40:51 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Scrap the Franken??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:40:51 am »
modify the cold start sounds like a good idea, maybe josh will chime in with how his acts in colder weather.  with daves franken jetta he had advanced the timing to 1.15 or 1.20 or so and alleviated the problem and then dynoed nearly 200whp, but he also had a 9mm pump head so i don't think it is comparable, and i don't think u want to go down to the 9mm head either?  but like you say perhaps you will be better off with a heavily ported 1.6 head, maybe taper the edges where the valves are recessed in the head to drop compression slightly and gain flow but that is all
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2September 28, 2011, 11:58:43 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:58:43 am »
modify the cold start sounds like a good idea, maybe josh will chime in with how his acts in colder weather.  with daves franken jetta he had advanced the timing to 1.15 or 1.20 or so and alleviated the problem and then dynoed nearly 200whp, but he also had a 9mm pump head so i don't think it is comparable, and i don't think u want to go down to the 9mm head either?  but like you say perhaps you will be better off with a heavily ported 1.6 head, maybe taper the edges where the valves are recessed in the head to drop compression slightly and gain flow but that is all

it doesnt get COLD here..

cold to canuks, and cold to us yankees is 2 different things.. here in oregon, we dont get much below the 20*F mark..

ive only seen single digit temps a few times in my life..

i believe josh told me his timing was right around stock spec.. he is WELL UNDER 1mm static timing.. i think hes running like .83, or something like that.. under .9mm tho for sure..

we may have another hybrid coming to life eventually.. i have an AAZ head that i ned to rebuild, but i havent had the balls to take my engine apart yet. it runs too good.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:58:59 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3September 28, 2011, 12:42:06 pm

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:42:06 pm »
my franken started up stock glow plugs and no block heater at -12F last winter. even made heat too. Smoked until you drove it, then no smoke (grey anyways haha).

Maybe you have an injector or bad glow plug. Dont necessarily blame the franken, it's not that extreme a change...
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #4September 28, 2011, 04:00:28 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:00:28 pm »
Slap a Cummins heater grid  on the intake and see what happens?
Or draw through a hairdryer for driveway testing.

Reply #5September 28, 2011, 06:31:13 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:31:13 pm »
Ooh I support the hell out of the heater grid. Just heating the intake with a blow-dryer works.. A grid will be friggan awesome!

Reply #6September 28, 2011, 06:50:33 pm

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 06:50:33 pm »
my franken started up stock glow plugs and no block heater at -12F last winter. even made heat too. Smoked until you drove it, then no smoke

Starting it isn't a problem and it'll clear within a few metres of driving.

What I hate is the cloud of white smoke on start up, the ropey idle until it's driven a few hundred metres.

I don't think a heater is the solution - that's just papering over the cracks, I did think about modifying the glow relay to run on after the key is turned.

i believe josh told me his timing was right around stock spec.. he is WELL UNDER 1mm static timing.. i think hes running like .83, or something like that.. under .9mm tho for sure..

I'm just over 0.9, did he suffer smoke.

but he also had a 9mm pump head so i don't think it is comparable, and i don't think u want to go down to the 9mm head either?

Already gone back to the 9mm, the 10 was too noisy for no gain, the 9mm can deliver enough fuel at the moment to paint the street black.

Reply #7September 28, 2011, 07:24:38 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:38 pm »
my franken started up stock glow plugs and no block heater at -12F last winter. even made heat too. Smoked until you drove it, then no smoke

Starting it isn't a problem and it'll clear within a few metres of driving.

What I hate is the cloud of white smoke on start up, the ropey idle until it's driven a few hundred metres.

I don't think a heater is the solution - that's just papering over the cracks, I did think about modifying the glow relay to run on after the key is turned.

I'm just over 0.9, did he suffer smoke.

but he also had a 9mm pump head so i don't think it is comparable, and i don't think u want to go down to the 9mm head either?

Already gone back to the 9mm, the 10 was too noisy for no gain, the 9mm can deliver enough fuel at the moment to paint the street black.

every start up ive seen was smokeless, and it started just like a stock 1.6, and it idled nice n smooth.

how are your injectors? maybe theres something awry with them?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #8September 28, 2011, 11:09:08 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:09:08 pm »

I don't think a heater is the solution - that's just papering over the cracks,
Chevy, Doge, Ford, and VW all use it...

or maybe you should skip the glow plugs altogether, as they are just a crutch for weak starters &engines...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:10:45 pm by 745 turbogreasel »

Reply #9September 28, 2011, 11:13:51 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:51 pm »

I don't think a heater is the solution - that's just papering over the cracks,
Chevy, Doge, Ford, and VW all use it...

or maybe you should skip the glow plugs altogether, as they are just a crutch for weak starters &engines...

haha good point, the whole reason for a heater of any kind is to speed startup and reduce smoke.....some engines require more help with the "reduce smoke" part.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #10September 28, 2011, 11:25:50 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:25:50 pm »
Would a simple dipstick heater or engine block heater get it warm enough to keep the gray smoke at bay? 

I have an afterglow effect on my engine as I have tapped the original VDO temp gauge onto the gp senor on the flange off the coolant tube.  Stays on for like a five count.  Then clicks off.  Amp gauge drops from 30 draw to plus side of about 3-5.

No smoke on start.  Slight smoke at top of RPM range on hard hill pulls.

Reply #11September 28, 2011, 11:31:50 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:31:50 pm »
Cummins don't run the heater above 60F, but they are probably the easiest starting of all.  I don't think the box truck 4BT has any kind of heater, and it always starts.

Reply #12September 29, 2011, 01:30:26 am