Author Topic: FS: 85 Jetta Diesel IDI, vegoil, $2000 obo  (Read 4084 times)

September 01, 2011, 12:51:31 am

dlorimer

• User+

FS: 85 Jetta Diesel IDI, vegoil, $2000 obo
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:51:31 am »
Selling my 85 Jetta Diesel IDI with vegoil kit.  5-speed manual.  Blue, no sunroof.  Getting married, and my project "man-car" is going to have to move on.
Love this car.  Was getting 39 mpg before my recent maintenance (haven't checked recently).  Runs fine.
Mileage is unknown. Original odometer read 96,000 but was already broken and not turning when I bought it.  Best help I can give on this line is this: I have had 4 different mechanics tell me that the engine is "surprisingly clean".  The one who replaced the glow plugs and injectors was surprised that they came out so easily, and that there was not a lot of carbon build up.  The mechanic who did the head work said the engine looked great inside.  I was very happily surprised.  Hope that helps.

Cons:
-It's an old car - paint is ok, but looks old, worn interior, etc.
-A/C does not work
-Trunk is not watertight
-Small dent in front right fender
-Instrument cluster is from a gasser (sad, I know!)(thus, also has incorrect milage)
-Fuel gauge doesn't work

Pros:
+Just put a rebuilt head on it! (new head gasket, valves, cam, etc)
+Great tires
+Runs good
+Newer exhaust pipes and muffler
+New hoses, newer belts (a couple years old)
+New fast-style glow plugs and relay (I have no problem starting it)
+New injectors
+Newer front wheel bearings (both sides, a couple years old now), also a new ball joint
+Newer rebuilt injection pump

Other Info:
*The car is a medium-smoker.  Can be driven with minimal smoke if you don't push it, but can belch if you tromp it.

+ Vegetable Oil kit -- I'll explain more here.  It's a custom-built 2nd fuel system kit based on plans I purchased. I intended it for long-range trips, so it has a large extra oil tank in the trunk (~15-20 gal?).  I was not able to secure very nice used oil, so I used an extra large heat stick, both in the tank, and for the heat transfer stick.  Switchable fuel system from a switch on the dash.
Start up and end trip on diesel, once vegoil is warmed up, can run on it.  I've run several hundred miles on pure vegoil.

--Another thing to consider.  I have not reattached the vegoil system since my recent maintenance.  The current engine head and injection pump have not been run on vegoil.  So if you DO NOT want the kit, you don't have to hook it up, and you're not buying a car with vegoiled parts.  If you want it hooked up at purchase, I'll hook it up for you.  If you don't want it hooked up, I'll leave it unhooked.  Up to you.

Asking price is $2500 USD.
Located in Jackson, KY
Send me a PM for email, number, and more details!

Disclaimer:
Car is being sold AS-IS.  This car contains non-original parts, allows non-standard fuel, and has post-factory modifications that could be dangerous to the car or occupants. Seller will not be held liable for damages.

*update: Will take $2000 for it.*
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:19:54 pm by dlorimer »

Reply #1September 03, 2011, 12:26:07 am

dlorimer

• User+

Re: FS: 85 Jetta Diesel IDI, vegoil, $2500 obo
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 12:26:07 am »
I forgot to say these things --
*I started to change the interior on the car, so the two back door panels are grey, while the rest of the interior is blue.  I can switch them back to blue if you like, I can leave it how it is, or I can sell you the rest of the grey interior.

*There is a hole in the floorpan of the rear driver's side.

*The car is really good about rust.  Has some surface rust where the paint has faded away.  Everything on the top/inside of the car is solid with no problematic rust.  Underneath has some rust (and the one hole in the floorpan, mentioned above).  Nothing that appeared to be a problem, though, other than the one hole.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:40:08 am by dlorimer »

Reply #2September 03, 2011, 12:50:14 am

dlorimer

• User+

Re: FS: 85 Jetta Diesel IDI, vegoil, $2500 obo
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:50:14 am »
Here's the pictures I promised!

Lots more pictures in my photobucket album.
Photobucket pictures:  http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/dlorimer/Blue%20Jetta%20Diesel/

Any specific pictures you want or questions, just let me know!

Reply #3September 26, 2011, 11:21:17 pm

dlorimer

• User+

Re: FS: 85 Jetta Diesel IDI, vegoil, $2000 obo
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 11:21:17 pm »
*bump*  Price drop.  PM me for more pics, phone #, etc.