Author Topic: Boost Adjustment on KKK Turbo  (Read 10503 times)

January 30, 2006, 08:32:27 pm

YellowJetta

Boost Adjustment on KKK Turbo
« on: January 30, 2006, 08:32:27 pm »
I've got a 1.6 TD which I've made all the usual performance mods to. The next thing I want to do is up the boost coming from my turbo. The problem is, I can't figure out how to adjust this on my particular turbo. I've already added a boost guage in the usual manner: (click the link)

http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B8%3A67%3A%7Ffp337%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E734%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A58%3C%3B733nu0mrj

Anyway, most people have always told me to splice a boost controller into the rubber hose between my turbo and the wastegate. The problem is, I don't have a rubber line on my turbo. Here are some pics: (click the links)

http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B8%3A67%3A%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E734%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A58%3C5%3B85nu0mrj

http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B8%3A67%3A%7Ffp337%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E734%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A58%3C5%3B83nu0mrj

http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B8%3A67%3A%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E734%3E336%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A58%3C%3B72%3Anu0mrj

Someone also mentioned that I may be able to adjust my boost pressure by using an external wastegate control like this one:

But my turbo doesn't have one of those either. So, the question is, what is the best way for me to increase my boost?  :D

Reply #1January 30, 2006, 08:42:09 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 08:42:09 pm »
If you want to use a boost controller you'll either have to cut and splice into that line or remove it altogether and connect hose to either side and then hook in the boost pressure. There should also be an allen screw with a lock nut on the wastegate actuator. I don't have the KKK myself, but I beleive you should be able to adjust boost pressure through the adjustment of the screw.

Reply #2January 30, 2006, 09:02:31 pm

NOTORIOUS VR

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:02:31 pm »
Well this is how I did it to my buddies car on the weekend...

Cut a peice of the metal tube going from the intake mani, to the wastegate... about 1"..

Then using a air pressure regulator (like they use on pnumatic tools/compressors)  attach a hose to either side (in and out)...

Then adjust the pressure regulator to the desired boost level by closing it...

Although it is a little sensitive... it doesn't spike at all (so far), and the regualtor cost about $16 @ Princess Auto :D

Reply #3February 02, 2006, 05:08:17 am

shox75

• Junior

hmmm
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 05:08:17 am »
yeah, and to make the regualtor actually work, you have to get rid of your poppet valve on the intake manifold. Or its gonna release pressure at around 12psi if turned in to max, otherwise it will only defeat the regualtor. Theres lots on this topic, do a search.

And, yes, the KKK turbo is mechanically adjustable right on the wastegate head, there is a lock nut. Not sure which way to turn to increase and decrease though. This way you don't have to cut the metal tubing.
If your planning on adjusting the turbo often then i suggest using the regualtor method only because it easier to reach.
Sabi Szilagyi
'90 Jetta TD

Reply #4February 02, 2006, 08:12:08 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:12:08 am »
the metal line is simple to cut and replace , it just has two banjo fitting at either end..heck you can remove the line altogther and scre in soem barb fittings with silicon hose to do th e adjustable gate..i like having the wastgate adjustment in th ecar so i can play with it on the runs..as for the pop off valve ..take the clamp off , pull the plastic valve out and make a metal plate that fits the clamp and intake manifold as a block off plate and clmap it back togther..that is pretty easy ..the other easyier thing is to get a ecodeisel manifold ..as it has no pop off valve...
i hope that helps. ya..
Deo

Reply #5February 02, 2006, 09:13:59 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 09:13:59 am »
ah it works fine if you move th ecold side a little thats al i used on my 1.6TDs.. i never had a problem if you are afraid to move the cold side then you can grind the intake a little to clear..thats how i do teh tdi intakes with kkk24...i have pic of the kkk24 and teh ecodiesel intake..infact i don't thing mine were ever ground on..just bolted right up..
thanks
deo

Reply #6February 02, 2006, 11:12:09 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 11:12:09 am »
mummn there must be more then 1 type of ecodiesle intake..mine bolts right on..i don't run any heat shield etc  not sure if that makes adifference..if you look at any of my old pics..you can see the fit menat..in fact i have to fins soem old pics..maybe joe has soem from one of wyatts old meets in canadaiga ny..i know i spelled it wrong... ha..
later
Deo

Reply #7February 02, 2006, 11:50:04 am

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 11:50:04 am »
The air compressor style pressure regulators I am familiar with wont work as described?  They limit the maximum air pressure that gets through, not the minimum.  So if you set one to say 30lbs, you will never see more than 30 lbs on the outlet, but you will see less as your air tank pressure drops below 30lbs.

So, using one of these regulators between turbo and wastegate wont work.  If the wastegate opens at 12 lbs, a pressure regulator set at 25 lbs will still allow 12 lbs through and open waste gate.  One set at 11 lbs would never open the waste gate, regardless of the pressure in the turbo.  If you had a long or restrictive hose on that regulator, you might get turbo boost above 12lbs in a spike until the 12lbs made its way to the turbo.

So what you need to do this is a check valve with an adjustable opening pressure.  Or an adjustable leak / bleed to atmosphere between turbo and waste gate.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am a newbie here at vwdiesel, but I have owned a few compressors :D
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #8February 02, 2006, 12:09:18 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 12:09:18 pm »
ah..a air pressure regulator will work blake and i have used them for a long time..its in my truck now...but we basically close the valve totally so the waste gate is basicaly seeing no pressure and will not open..if we want it to open a little we crack it open and the boost creep will allow delay the opening of the waste gate...if its total open it acts the same as a stock td waste gate..etc...these regulators are not set to allow say 23 lbs or 17lbs max its not aset it and go ..kinda drive and adjust teh knob so the wastegate reacts the way tyou want it to..but you will find you'll have it closed most of the tiem..you don't see large boost #'s closed unless you have a LOT of fuel and you are WOT all the time..most of the time teh boost is only waht teh engine is able to make from exhaust heat and load so no boost or low ie 5-10lbs  even when its shut....you will see what uyou mean when you play with it..its not liek a gasser turbo whern more boost can linchteh engien diesel boost is much different in how th eengine builds it and how it reacts..what teh egt and the boost guage ..more boost will lower teh egt...aloowing more fuel flow..if you want a set teh boost at 24lbs and leeaev it you will have tolookinto another type of boost controller ..probably from a import or a hobb switch setup..
later
Deo

Reply #9February 02, 2006, 03:28:34 pm

NOTORIOUS VR

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 03:28:34 pm »
Quote from: "therabbittree"
ah..a air pressure regulator will work blake and i have used them for a long time..its in my truck now...but we basically close the valve totally so the waste gate is basicaly seeing no pressure and will not open..if we want it to open a little we crack it open and the boost creep will allow delay the opening of the waste gate...if its total open it acts the same as a stock td waste gate..etc...these regulators are not set to allow say 23 lbs or 17lbs max its not aset it and go ..kinda drive and adjust teh knob so the wastegate reacts the way tyou want it to..but you will find you'll have it closed most of the tiem..you don't see large boost #'s closed unless you have a LOT of fuel and you are WOT all the time..most of the time teh boost is only waht teh engine is able to make from exhaust heat and load so no boost or low ie 5-10lbs  even when its shut....you will see what uyou mean when you play with it..its not liek a gasser turbo whern more boost can linchteh engien diesel boost is much different in how th eengine builds it and how it reacts..what teh egt and the boost guage ..more boost will lower teh egt...aloowing more fuel flow..if you want a set teh boost at 24lbs and leeaev it you will have tolookinto another type of boost controller ..probably from a import or a hobb switch setup..
later
Deo

Well so far we were able to get the boost to go as high as 28 psi with the air pressure regulator (and that wasn't even really with it closed all the way).... but we turned it down to settle in @ about 21 psi...

It works really well IMO.... it's just really sensitive... so u need to make a lot of minor adjustments till u get the boost to stay where u'd like it to...

Reply #10February 02, 2006, 06:03:02 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 06:03:02 pm »
cool i knew the eco diesel intake worked ..its the only one i will use on my idid's ....as for the air regulator..its the cheapest and best mod i've done on the td's and TDI mechanicals..... plus people are like whats that knob for???? ..ha when they sit in the car.. ;)
enjoy later,
deo

Reply #11February 07, 2006, 12:03:42 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 12:03:42 pm »
so cutting the metal line and then running a nice little hose from each end into the cock pit and putting one of these in between(see pic) will make cranking up boost controllable and possible?

01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #12February 07, 2006, 01:21:12 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 01:21:12 pm »
also, with that set up it'd be pretty nice to open the valve up(taking away most of the boost) and then let giant clouds of smoke all over the person driving behind you XD
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #13February 07, 2006, 08:22:22 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 08:22:22 pm »
yup...have fun...but  watch your head gasket..or upgrade to a metal one..

Reply #14August 27, 2006, 02:17:16 pm

Op-Ivy

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 02:17:16 pm »
I am still not clear on what line to splice into for the boost controller.

I think it's this one. Am I right?

Thanks
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km

Fixmyvw.com