Author Topic: kkk or garette ?  (Read 1999 times)

August 20, 2011, 10:58:50 am

guy plain

• Junior

kkk or garette ?
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:58:50 am »
 i have 4 1.6 td engines....all have turbo,s on them...one has the garette turbo... no idea what kkk turbo,s i have.. th 14 or 24 .. from what i understand the garette can be made to boost the highest not that huge boost is what i want or need.. but where i live there are lots of hills...long steep ones . so high boost might be a problem on a hill thats 6% to 14% for 14kms.... gettting the EGT,s way to high.
 so i guess what im asking is .... would the garette be the most flexable in boost range ? or should i stick with the  kkk turbo,s ? and how do you tell the differance between the k14 and k 24?
   thank you for any input

Reply #1August 20, 2011, 11:38:22 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: kkk or garette ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:38:22 am »
garrett and k24 have similar compressor sides, k24 probably has the better compressor.  on the exhaust side of the turbos the t3 has a larger a/r housing, so it will spool a bit slower, but will flow much more air at higher rpms and create more over all power.  the k24 will spool more quickly but choke u up top a bit more.  k14 is smaller than both on intake and the exhaust side, but is going to spool much more quickly, and will be the best turbo for daily driving.  it will give you really good low down torque, the down side is it is capable of less boost pressure and it becomes very inefficient at higher rpms.

as far as hill climbing goes its very debatable, and i have never driven up large hills in a td with a small turbo.  but i would think the larger two turbos would be better for hill climbing because they will help to keep better flow and lower egts, once the turbo is spooled its spooled, so if ur going to crawl up a large hill ur turbo is going to get spooled up at the bottom of the bottom of the hill and u'll be able to maintain that boost and extra power as you go.

it really depends how u plan to drive the car, they're all good turbo choices tho.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2August 20, 2011, 02:09:44 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »
you probably wouldnt even be able to tell the difference between a K24, and a T3.. VW had them built to be almost identical.

same with a T2 and a K14.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3August 20, 2011, 04:17:23 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 04:17:23 pm »
you probably wouldnt even be able to tell the difference between a K24, and a T3.. VW had them built to be almost identical.

same with a T2 and a K14.

on hillholks tdim rabbit, he said he could really feel the difference, and lost power on the gtech dyno, not much tho and i forget the actual numbers.  and my dads 85 td has a t3 and my 81 coupe td had a k24, his does spool a bit slower, but when it comes on, its a bit stronger.  not much difference tho like you're saying.  i would always choose a t3 over a k24 tho simply because of the sticky wastegate issue the k24's inherently have because their waste gate opens the opposite way of a t3 so it gets all cruded up more easily.  not to mention the parts for a t3 are more readily available.
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4August 21, 2011, 01:03:43 am

guy plain

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:03:43 am »
 so its sounding like the k24 might be my best bet...how do you tell the k24 from the k14? i have,nt noticed any tags tell me what one is what....just kkk and the one marked as a garette..they are a bit hard to look at right now...in storage...will be going there in the next day or two to have a better look...but i would like to know what im looking for before i go...lol

Reply #5August 21, 2011, 07:55:03 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 07:55:03 am »
it will say which turbo it is on it some where, and also a k24 is about the same size as the garretts, a k14 will be smaller, and also has a different inlet size than a t3 or k24

Reply #6August 21, 2011, 01:38:00 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:38:00 pm »
looking at the turbine side is the easiest way to tell at a glance..

the T2/K14 have a smaller turbine wheel than the outlet flange.

T3/K24 have turbines that ate almost the same size as the out flange..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com