Author Topic: got exhaust manifold?  (Read 3321 times)

January 30, 2006, 12:42:12 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

got exhaust manifold?
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:42:12 pm »
Just wanted to share this.  Sorta funny.

My truck was showing a lack of power that came on pretty suddenly (a few days) -- could never get above 3-4psi boost and usually it's around 10psi.  I figured it was probably a clogged fuel filter from running biodiesel in too cold of weather.  Or perhaps my turbo was dying, but I really hoped it wasn't that.

I also had an exhaust leak -- my exhaust system is all rusty, so I figured the downpipe had finally rusted out.  I didn't feel like crawling under the truck in the snow to see, so I figured I'd just live with that for a while.

Anyway I popped the hood this weekend to switch the filter, and guess what.  The exhaust manifold only had 2 of the 8 nuts holding it on left...  The others were just gone -- rattled off or something?   Black soot blown out on the valve cover.  That's why the turbo wasn't working.....  

I put new nuts (with lockwashers) on there, and it's back to it's old peppiness, and much quiter too...   Gotta wonder who assembled the engine last, and what else he didn't tighten down though.. :roll:

'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

S-PAutomotive.com