Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Value of a camper shell.  (Read 6951 times)

August 07, 2011, 02:40:11 am

79rabbit4dr

Value of a camper shell.
« on: August 07, 2011, 02:40:11 am »
I'm looking at picking up a camper shell from the same guy I got my tailgate from, just wondering what a good deal on a nice shell would be? I don't have any pictures of the exact one but it's white and in as good of shape as the tailgate I just bought.

the tailgate, for quality comparison sake;

The shell is this type of shape;

not your typical;

Thoughts? Words of wisdom?

Reply #1August 07, 2011, 07:41:58 am

CRSMP5

Re: Value of a camper shell.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:41:58 am »
IMO 150ish as shells not rair like factory bedliners... and since it seems like your willing to go pick up in person.. cannot beat 150ish.. shipping too costly..

Reply #2August 07, 2011, 08:37:51 am

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:51 am »
as a long time caddy freak I think the best ones are made of aluminum, not fiberglass. The high rise type (I think) you're talking about is most likely made of fiberglass and therefore very heavy. I wouldn't put much of a value on it myself. The aluminum ones I've seen were made by Leer. They're light enough for one person to able to remove or install off the back of the truck.

here's the shell I have right now:

It says "Olympic" on it, it's not a Leer. It's the only aluminum high rise I've seen, the others were all flush with the top of the cab.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:44:03 am by ilikevwdiesel »
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #3August 07, 2011, 08:58:55 am

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:58:55 am »
as a long time caddy freak I think the best ones are made of aluminum, not fiberglass. The high rise type (I think) you're talking about is most likely made of fiberglass and therefore very heavy. I wouldn't put much of a value on it myself. The aluminum ones I've seen were made by Leer. They're light enough for one person to able to remove or install off the back of the truck.

It says "Olympic" on it, it's not a Leer. It's the only aluminum high rise I've seen, the others were all flush with the top of the cab.

That's function over form.  IMHO the fiberglass units are much nicer looking at the cost of weight.  To the original poster question: I've seen them anywhere from $50 to $500 but most commonly around the $200 mark. 

Reply #4August 07, 2011, 09:05:50 am

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:05:50 am »

That's function over form.  IMHO the fiberglass units are much nicer looking at the cost of weight.  To the original poster question: I've seen them anywhere from $50 to $500 but most commonly around the $200 mark.  
To each his own I guess. The cap in the pic is very funky I agree but I can crawl under it, put my hands on the ceiling and stand right up. Try doing that with a fiberglass cap, especially one of the high rise ones. All things said tho, I only paid 75 bux for that cap in the pic.  :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:08:47 am by ilikevwdiesel »
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #5August 07, 2011, 09:21:33 pm

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:21:33 pm »
I too much prefer the fiberglass look, but the lightweight aspect of the tin version is appealing. I don't think I'd keep it on very often, it'd be more of an accessory for eventual sale. The other idea is a really thin piece of aluminum or sheet metal as a tonneau cover. I very rarely haul anything in the back. I also don't want to see it scrapped or left to fall apart in the field it's sitting in.

Reply #6August 08, 2011, 01:20:40 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:40 am »
aluminum vs fiberglass... other things to consider also...

aluminum = toaster... it also has a metalic hollow sound...

fiberglass... yea still a toaster.. but much better insulated... also much less tinny driving down road..

point of this post.. IMO... where to find 25+ year old parts still able to be used...

reality is as much as someone is willing to pay... but i think fair.. 150ish... ill admit i bought a dura liner bed liner for 150 18 years ago.. but try finding one of them... thats back before internet... :D

Reply #7August 08, 2011, 01:32:17 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:32:17 am »

I paid $70 for this exact shell albeit a little dirtier.

If the seal is good on the one you're looking at that's worth a lot as many parts for the old shells are nla. I'm using the hood seal from an e30, it works alright.

S-PAutomotive.com