Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: A question for those with prothe cylinder head experience  (Read 1896 times)

July 27, 2011, 04:31:31 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

A question for those with prothe cylinder head experience
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:31:31 pm »
I am debating whether or not to take my prothe cylinder head to the local machine shop guy to have him make sure the valves and valve seats are the correct angle for each other.

The problem with this decision is the guy is the only machinest in town and is back logged a long time with work.

So I guess I want to know if it is possible for me to do it or if it is just lapping the valves in place.

I figured that the valves should be the same angle as the cylinder head.

Any thoughts?

1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #1July 27, 2011, 07:42:33 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: A question for those with prothe cylinder head experience
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:42:33 pm »
I am debating whether or not to take my prothe cylinder head to the local machine shop guy to have him make sure the valves and valve seats are the correct angle for each other.

The problem with this decision is the guy is the only machinest in town and is back logged a long time with work.

So I guess I want to know if it is possible for me to do it or if it is just lapping the valves in place.

I figured that the valves should be the same angle as the cylinder head.

Any thoughts?
The valves should NOT be at the same angle as the seat. For the best seal and max lb/sqin there should be point contact.[fine line of contact]

EDIT
OK so the VAG instruction manual say's contact should be 2mm for exhaust and 2.4mm for inlet. IMO these values should be listed as maximums.
As a pair of mating faces will from day one  grow as they hammer together, the valves  will move out of spec from day one and begin to compromise my 'blue' point above,  should you whip the head off to check... You get my drift?? ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:09:27 pm by Mark(The Miser)UK »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #2July 28, 2011, 12:23:43 am

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:23:43 am »
The valves should NOT be at the same angle as the seat. For the best seal and max lb/sqin there should be point contact.[fine line of contact]

EDIT
OK so the VAG instruction manual say's contact should be 2mm for exhaust and 2.4mm for inlet. IMO these values should be listed as maximums.
As a pair of mating faces will from day one  grow as they hammer together, the valves  will move out of spec from day one and begin to compromise my 'blue' point above,  should you whip the head off to check... You get my drift?? ;D

Gracias Mark.

I was talking to a few other people and that's pretty much the consensus.  I was just trying to avoid the machine shop guy I have to pay with cash AND beer to get stuff done in a reasonable time frame.
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #3July 28, 2011, 09:09:19 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:09:19 pm »
Damnit I pulled an exhaust valve...  2.01mm  lol

Go figure

Looking at ETKA, I noticed that I only have one large valve spring.  :o   What the hell!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:41:33 pm by erice1984 »
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Fixmyvw.com