Author Topic: Franken Engine.. Tips/advice/pointers needed/welcomed  (Read 4517 times)

July 20, 2011, 09:59:41 pm

8v-of-fury

Franken Engine.. Tips/advice/pointers needed/welcomed
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »
Ok so I just want to throw this out there. I have at my disposal some goodies, I want to combine these goodies to make a fun little motor!

What I have here is:

• Complete AHU TDi turbo setup ie. exhaust mani/low mounted k03 turbo (makes gasser intakes possible), intake, rubber turbo intake, IC piping and intercooler
  • Hydro 1.6 N/A
  • 1.6 TD Injection Pump, resealed recently. Currently on my n/a and running great.
  • I have the tdi pump as well, so I have a 10mm head if desired
  • I also have a 1.9 AAZ head at my disposal but it is a bit rough and will need to be checked out first.. it has some head erosion due to a leaky injector is all..

So I figure to make it all work i'd need at the least:

• intake and exhaust gasket
  • exhaust studs and hardware
  • turbo feed and oil lines
  • Exhaust..? I'd only be running a down-pipe.. so 14" pointed directly at the ground
  • head-gasket and new bolts.. won't go studs as i am not going over 17psi
  • TD injectors.. can TD nozzles be put on N/A injectors and work?

If anything i'd cancel out the 1.9 head and just run it all on the 1.6 motor.. and run a calm cool and collected 15psi of inter-cooled boost with moderate fueling to match.

What im aiming for ultimately with this setup, minus the 1.9 head realistically because i think its trashed.. would be lower end power.. my torque at 18-1900 instead of 25-2600 eh?

Do you think it will be possible? I was talking to a friend about it, and we think that because the tdi flows less energy out the tailpipe this turbo might feel extra small on the 1.6 idi.. what do you think?

Reply #1July 21, 2011, 05:05:45 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Franken Engine.. Tips/advice/pointers needed/welcomed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »
i believe vdubspeed is running that same turbo and he really likes it, i think its a good match.  .3L less displacement more than equals out a tdi being more thermally effecient, i don't think this turbo will seem at all smaller on a 1.6 vs tdi.  and for the aaz head on it, i think the lower compression will help to make slightly more peak power over all due to less energy being used to compress air.  i also think it would make power a lot sooner in the rpm range, how ever the size of those turbos will be the real limiting factor in power
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2July 21, 2011, 07:52:22 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:52:22 pm »
The rpm band on TDI I think shuts down sooner than our IDI's. I don't know but I am guessing we turn at least 1,000 more rpm. I do not know what it would do, but I say you have it try it. You may boost instantly and never twist that high, then it should be perfect for you.

Reply #3July 22, 2011, 01:44:55 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:44:55 am »
How ever the size of those turbos will be the real limiting factor in power

Stock tdi versus Malone stage 3. Stock turbo seems to be alright up to 134hp/235tq.. the next tune they require you upgrade to a VNT-17.

ALSO, I have seen k03's handle 18psi reliably, i think 20+ they get inefficient.. so 15 intercooled should be perfect. When I had the tdi on the road this motor came from it would spin 5g's no problem ;) so the turbo can move the air for sure. I'm thinking running no exhaust, and shorter IC piping i might be able to pick up some efficiency on that little guy..

Will I need to get TD injectors? I already have the n/a injectors with a t/d pump.. it runs fine?

Reply #4July 22, 2011, 08:48:59 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:48:59 am »
I don't think you will have to have the TD injectors, many run without. You just might not need as much initial timing. Probably could time it to .95 or 1.00 instead of 1 to 1.05 since the injectors will advance it for you. Many claim that the higher opening of the injectors was to help it not slame the injectors shut and reopen, but I don't think anyone running n/a injectors in a TD has confirmed it.

Reply #5July 22, 2011, 09:03:55 am

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 09:03:55 am »
Stock tdi versus Malone stage 3. Stock turbo seems to be alright up to 134hp/235tq..

You forgot take into consideration the way lower efficiency of the IDI engine, somewhat 25-30% lower BSFC. Although it can handle a slightly lower AFR with the same smoke levels you're still down on total efficiency. 100hp at the crank would be the max of a puny little K03.
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #6July 22, 2011, 10:45:16 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:45:16 am »
100hp at the crank would be the max of a puny little K03.

Double the power increase!? More than I was asking for :D This isn't a power build. More so, I have these parts laying around and want something a little more fun than my n/a. If I can get above the 90hp of the tdi, and somewhere in its 150ft.lb range.. I'd be way more than contempt.

Reply #7July 22, 2011, 10:58:42 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:58:42 am »
15psi.. LOL... my toaster runs 15psi just cruzin at 75mph+.. at say speed limit and hill... it hits 15psi with little trying.. i have it set to about 21psi via internal boost controller.. egt is 850ish.. thats the little tdi ko3 turbo... 2.5" down pipe thru straight pipe..

to build a internal boost controller use/build up a air regulator for say air tools..

honestly... new factory strech bolts should yeald you over 20+psi substained boost too..

Reply #8July 22, 2011, 11:38:21 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 11:38:21 am »
15psi in a tdi is not the same as 15psi in a 1.6 tho either.

i didn't mean that the ko3 will be a bottle neck for u to make power, i was just saying that before you would need to put an aaz head on to make more power you would need a larger turbo.  i think those are really an awesome turbo for a 1.6

is the difference is bsfc was so dramatic
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #9July 22, 2011, 11:45:03 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:45:03 am »
That is kind of what I was thinking ^. AAZ head won't be needed but if you have one why not. Same with the turbo. I think you may see boost just off idle. Which wouldn't be a bad thing. I wouldn't run it over 20psi as I thought that was around the limit for those guys even intercooled.

Reply #10July 22, 2011, 02:27:30 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 02:27:30 pm »
That is exactly what I want, boost off idle.. Immediate spooling essentially ;)

As I said I do like %90 of my driving in town with the occasional highway drive (hwy being above 115km/h) maybe once a month if that.. So really I want power down low like the tdi's do, and they do this with the tiny ko3 or the vnt that can be small when it wants. So I am really set that 15psi intercooled with this ko3 will be all the power under 3000rpms I could ever need :)

Also, the tdi could sustain running at higher rpm's when I was really romping it.. Less air from this motor at similar rpms should be better off for it I'd think eh?

Reply #11July 22, 2011, 05:55:53 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 05:55:53 pm »
honestly.. my 1.6ts in my wagon with stock turbo pulls 14psi before the sneeze valve in the intake opens.. i really think with tdi turbo stuff 18-21psi would be non issue with a 1.6.... yes instant boost and all.. but i really think you need to set up a boost controller inside.. as limiting to 15psi you will get a really odd surge at highway speeds.. from the wastegate opening/closing at that low a setting.. thats what i am saying..

Reply #12July 22, 2011, 06:06:56 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »
I'm not gonna lie I don't know how I'm gonna about setting the boost.. Definitely not the stock way though..

I'm not saying like 15 is as high as I'll run it, like the WG is gonna open and just stop boosting.. I mean like I see no need for higher than 15 psi.. 18-21psi from a T3 even, wouldn't be efficient and would just be wasting the energy on compressing air instead of combustion. Spikes of 21 would be acceptable, I know the turbo CAN handle it.. I just see no need..

ALSO lest we not forget this turbo has 418k kms on it ;)

Reply #13July 22, 2011, 06:22:36 pm

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »
I'm not gonna lie I don't know how I'm gonna about setting the boost.. Definitely not the stock way though..

I'm not saying like 15 is as high as I'll run it, like the WG is gonna open and just stop boosting.. I mean like I see no need for higher than 15 psi.. 18-21psi from a T3 even, wouldn't be efficient and would just be wasting the energy on compressing air instead of combustion. Spikes of 21 would be acceptable, I know the turbo CAN handle it.. I just see no need..

ALSO lest we not forget this turbo has 418k kms on it ;)
since when is 18psi on a t3 inefficient??

I ran 20psi on a k14 for 10k miles and it always ran great with low egts, I added no wear to the turbo either. I had a k24 on it for a while at 25psi it would break the tires free in 3rd at 50mph ;D Unless you've run big boost on a big turbo, don't say it's not worth it. I dont thing chris is saying that you should run more than 15psi for powers sake, I think he is saying that if you set it at 15, the wastegate will be chasing it's self around and surging at highway cruising speed. k03s on tdis are almost always at 10-15psi at highway speed.
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #14July 22, 2011, 07:00:34 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 07:00:34 pm »
Sorry let me rephrase. Any turbo running any higher boost then (the k03 is pretty useless above 18psi) it was originally designed to run at is inefficient. Not saying you still won't make good power, but your doing so less efficiently.

20 on a k14 and 25 on a k24 would suggest ~15 is pretty good for a k03 no?

Yes on a good day the ahu tdi's can achieve max boost at 14-15psi. Also another thought to take in to account is why don't the tunes for the k03 equipped tdi's have the boost any higher than 18 or so psi?

However I would set it up, I'd say 20 being max psi, and hopefully the same 15 cruising psi that a tdi can achieve.

Another thing is that I hope to offset energy losses by running a straight exhaust,( possibly ported) 1.7 gasser intake manifold, and short smallish IC piping to reduce any turbo lag as well ;) (like that's an issue with the k03 lol!)

Either way Nathan, csrmp5, Trev, Lucas thanks for all the insight and discussion, it makes everything picturable in my head lol. Plus, I just love to talk! Lmao.

:D

Fixmyvw.com