Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Injection adjustments  (Read 9682 times)

January 27, 2006, 04:24:16 pm

lesharoturbo

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« on: January 27, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »
Ok, I was going to do some adjustments on my Renault engine and now I have more questions.  It has a Bosch VE injection pump.  The first is the aneroid pin.  First, mine is made out of stainless and the sloped part is only about 15mm long.  It is similar to the 1.6td aneroid in shape that is it is eccentric.  Which way do I turn this?  Does the most slope go towards the pulley end of the pump or the injector outlet side or where?  I could not see where the boost pin was riding on the aneroid.

I was looking at my spare engine trying to get a feel of how the turbo was set up.  There is a can about 30-35mm in diameter under the turbo mounted to the exhaust side.  A rubber hose goes from this to a brass elbow on the intake side.  I am guessing this is some sort of pressure regulator or blow off valve.  Could I remove the hose and use an adjustable BOV?  I will try to get some pictures for you guys to see.

I am hoping to increase my 75hp to around 100 -120.  I would also like to futz with governer to increase my powerband.

Thanks you guys for the inspiration!

Bernie

Reply #1January 28, 2006, 12:54:09 am

firestorm13666

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 12:54:09 am »
The can that your talking of is most likly the vacume diafram for the wastgate on the turbo.For what i know of diesel there is really no need for a BOV as they are used to pervent damage to the turbo form the cloesing of the throttle at high engine speeds and boost,seen diesel have no throttlr body there is not need for one.If i am guy someone let me.I hope this helps

Reply #2January 28, 2006, 11:31:39 am

andy2

Injection adjustments
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:31:39 am »
The "feeler" pin that rides on the aneroid pin comes out of the housing from the gear end of the pump.You can also play with the spring tension on the aneroid.I usually back off the spring tension to a minimun,So that the pin can just be held up against its cover.This will make the the fuel  come on sooner at lower boost levels.

You could play with the wasteagte on the turbo.To raise boost you could T in a brass fitting into the hose and put a valve on the T to bleed off a small amount of boost going to the wastegate.

If you are going to play with it though you may want to invest in an EGT and boost gauge.It may not take much of an increse in fueling to raies the EGT's out of the safe zone while pulling up a long Grade against the wind with your foot into it  :twisted:.

Have a look at the exhaust on that thing too,see if you can make it more free flowing.I have put a 2.5" exhaust with muffler on one :wink:.

Reply #3January 28, 2006, 12:19:56 pm

lesharoturbo

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:19:56 pm »
Thanks Andy!

SO I should turn the aneroid pin toward the gear side of the pump.  This is the side of the aneroid that has the most travel right?

The spring tension is adjusted with the starwheel right?  I guess you turn it counterclockwise to reduce spring preload.

Could I just block off the hose to the wastegate completely?

Where do you find these EGT  and boost gauges?  My local parts store can't seem to source them.

Bernie

Reply #4January 28, 2006, 03:00:14 pm

andy2

Injection adjustments
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 03:00:14 pm »
I would turn the high side on the eccentric away from the pump gear end,That will give you the most fuel with boost.You can also change the pins up and down travel which will give more tuneability.You can file down the nylon spacer under the pin to get more down travel(basically make it half the thickness) and back the screw out of the cover to get more up travel(less fuel without boost).You'll see the mark where the feeler pin has been riding on the aneroid pin this will indicate its travel.

Clockwise on the starwheel will decrease spring preload.

I would'nt disconnect the wastegate completely as boost will climb close to 20 psi with a mild mod only! I'm not too sure how much boost the headgasket/bolts can handle safely.I've had one of those engines upto 18psi with wastegate disabled :twisted: ,To me that would be the max boost I would run(15-18psi).

Good quick reacting EGT gauges will cost more,I would recomend Isspro,Autometer and Stewart Warner to name a couple.Put the EGT probe into the exh manifold(pre turbo) that will give you the hottest and most accurate reading.EGT safe max would be 1300*-1350* (pre turbo).

Reply #5February 10, 2006, 01:54:15 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Injection adjustments
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 01:54:15 pm »
hee hee,,,,thinklike a lorider mann,,heat the springs,,lol,,,,really,,get another spring for the diaphram,,and heat it up,,,,thatll give lotsa fuelfast,,,,and have starwheel bottomed,,ialsoshaved the  nylon washer on the pin soit travels more
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #6March 30, 2006, 10:47:48 pm

lesharoturbo

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:47:48 pm »
First of all, I would like to thank those who have been so kind as to post all of the neat little mods.  I am happy to say that I have installed my boost gauge and EGT meters.  Currently, I am running 8psi boost with only a little tweaking.  My EGT's are about 400-450 F at idle and steady at 900 F while traveling 60 mph.  When I floor it though it climbs up to 1400-1500 really quickly but drops back to around 900 when I let off the gas and stabliize my speed.  Is this normal??

I still have to add my boost bleed mechanism.  I went to a parts store and came home with a plastic fuel shutoff (1/4 turn) like those on lawnmowers.  A little hose to get it out where it is easily accessed and we will be in business.

The little adjustments I have made made a huge difference.  I have about 2 turns in on the max fuel screw, about 1 turn in on the smoke screw and 1/2 turn down on the star wheel.  I have also turned the aneroid pin around 180 degrees.  Now I can hold speed on hills fairly well.

I hope to get 12-15 psi boost and a bit more power this weekend.

Bernie

Reply #7March 31, 2006, 09:19:28 am

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Injection adjustments
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 09:19:28 am »
You are getting to hot because you need more boost.For now,try just plugging or clamping off the wastegate line and see what your max boost is now.you should see quite an increse in boost,and a decrease in EGT's.

You can now add your boost controller to limit boost to a respectable level,while keeping EGT's in check.Intake and exhaust improvements will help spool and lower EGT's,while allowing you to keep the max boost a little lower.
Auto Proformance Services - VW Diesel parts and service
(416)565-7282

Reply #8March 31, 2006, 09:52:50 pm

lesharoturbo

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 09:52:50 pm »
Thanks wyldman!

I did clamp the hose and got 15+psi (my gauge only goes to 15).  I then changed my mod to the wastegate and now I get 12-13 psi at full throttle.  My egt's seem to be the same though.  At a steady 60 mph I am at 800 -900 F  with a long flat road it may drop to 600 otr so.  On a hill, still steady it clims to about 1200 -1300 .  If i floor it it gets up to 1500.  All of these are pre-turbo.  I even backed off the smoke screw a little.  I don't get very much smoke at ful throttle, but the egt's still climb.

Any other ideas?  I plan to relace the stock exhaust with a 2.5" unit soon.

Bernie

Reply #9April 03, 2006, 10:20:58 am

lesharoturbo

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 10:20:58 am »
After much fiddling, I have got my egt's down to about 1300 F max, full throttle uphill with a headwind and full of camping stuff plus 2 kids.  I think this is ok for now.  I checked out my exhaust and I have a leak at the downpipe to turbo junction several thousand pinholes and 2 mufflers?  I know what a resonator looks like, but these are large oval cans one under the passenger seat and the other at the rear of the coach.  Weird.

Again, thanks for all of the info and help.

OH! Now i can spin the tires on the Bagel (Winnebago LeSharo)!  Imagine smoking the tires on a 85 diesel RV!!!

Bernie

Reply #10April 03, 2006, 10:02:17 pm

andy2

Injection adjustments
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 10:02:17 pm »
Sounds good,When I put a 2.5" exhaust on one I didn't bother running it to the back.It sounds much better when it comes out the side somewhere :twisted:,also alot less work than fitting a 2.5" system towards the back.

Reply #11April 04, 2006, 12:13:36 pm

lesharoturbo

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 12:13:36 pm »
Andy,

Have you ever changed the timing on one of these?  Currently, the manual calls for .70 mm.  I was wondering what the effect would be to adjust it to .85 - .95.

Bernie

Reply #12April 04, 2006, 12:49:39 pm

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Injection adjustments
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 12:49:39 pm »
Like most diesels,it will probably respond well to more timing.I'd probablt set it to 1.00 mm or so.
(416)565-7282

Reply #13April 04, 2006, 03:24:46 pm

lesharoturbo

• Junior

Injection adjustments
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 03:24:46 pm »
How does the timing affect the EGT's?  Will other pump adjustments need to be made after adjusting the timing?

Bernie

Reply #14April 04, 2006, 03:55:23 pm

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Injection adjustments
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 03:55:23 pm »
Increasing the pump timing will usually lower EGT's slightly on most diesels,as the pump timing is kept retarded to keep NOx and particulate levels down.
(416)565-7282

Fixmyvw.com