S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: snapped all strut mount bolts- mystery  (Read 7361 times)

Reply #45June 22, 2011, 11:27:07 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: snapped all strut mount bolts- mystery
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 11:27:07 pm »
Here is the Quantum setup. Different to the Dasher that had small bolts to undo IIRC. Merely undo nut take off the metal dish and strut comes out.

This shows what rests under the bodywork. THe rubber atached to the bearing underneath which is clamped by the castellated nut

This is the top cap, actually damaged I think when the castellated nut undid with the top nut...

Not sure if  this bearing is normally viewable , but on this particular strut, the rubber mounting comes off revealing the bearing. It seems to be a press fit. This one although loose has not collapsed, in fact I see no way for this to collapse as the rubber has a metal insert. Only the bearing itself vulnerable to drying out and becoming sloppy. I greased this one as it was dry and had a little play in it. Doing so has restored it to a non binding smooth rolling item. Not using this strut at present though as itneeds the dreaded wheel bearing replacement.

Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #46June 23, 2011, 07:50:00 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 07:50:00 am »
Mark, I don't think that ball bearing should have come off the strut mount like that.

Back to the bolts. The ones that broke all had the threads facing the front of the car, getting hit head on with salt and the elements. They could also face the back, which will be more sheltered from the elements. I assume they faced the front so that an impact gun could be used?

Reply #47June 23, 2011, 07:17:59 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 07:17:59 pm »
The factory faced them toward the front. I always put them back in facing rear. If you can get away with it and you understand the engineering that went into the assembly and its not going to interfere with anything, try to put all bolts back in so they point to the rear of the car. That way, should one of the nuts fall off, the inertia of the car accelerating will keep the bolt in place instead of the other way around where the bolt falls out.

Sorry for the terrible run-on sentence and horrendous grammatical mistakes.

Reply #48June 23, 2011, 10:49:17 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 10:49:17 pm »
Here is the Quantum setup. Different to the Dasher that had small bolts to undo IIRC. Merely undo nut take off the metal dish and strut comes out.

This shows what rests under the bodywork. THe rubber atached to the bearing underneath which is clamped by the castellated nut

This is the top cap, actually damaged I think when the castellated nut undid with the top nut...

Not sure if  this bearing is normally viewable , but on this particular strut, the rubber mounting comes off revealing the bearing. It seems to be a press fit. This one although loose has not collapsed, in fact I see no way for this to collapse as the rubber has a metal insert. Only the bearing itself vulnerable to drying out and becoming sloppy. I greased this one as it was dry and had a little play in it. Doing so has restored it to a non binding smooth rolling item. Not using this strut at present though as itneeds the dreaded wheel bearing replacement.

"Mark, I don't think that ball bearing should have come off the strut mount like that."

I'd tend to agree; except I went out, and pulled the other  'good' one off.

It came of by rocking, and revealed that it could never have fitted much tighter than push fit, because of the tapered recess; the 6 or so crimp to fit points; and their corresponding marks on the bearing case, that appears to be mild steel, reinforces my line of thought.
I think the damage to the inverted 'top hat' that goes under the 19mm nut was caused by the nut not being fully tightened.  

Of the two bearings I have now exposed, one has more slackness between the two halves of the bearing  case, Squeezing grease between the casing with a finger has made them both smooth operating.
My only issue with these 2 struts was:
1) a dead car, and
2) a duff wheel bearing

My thinking is that there is very little room for colllapse, so I wonder if this setup could replace the Golf/Jetta stuff :-\
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:22:11 am by Mark(The Miser)UK »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #49June 24, 2011, 12:13:54 am

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2011, 12:13:54 am »
well, he already did buy new parts... using plus suspension stuff is the best upgrade for a MKII. using B2 parts might not work as well as the body has a slightly different shape to it where the bushing goes. the downside to using plus suspension stuff on the MKII is that you also need to get upper spring perches to match.

S-PAutomotive.com