Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: snapped all strut mount bolts- mystery  (Read 7359 times)

Reply #30June 19, 2011, 06:38:13 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
Re: snapped all strut mount bolts- mystery
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 06:38:13 pm »

Thanks for the p/n. I picked up a set of the camber bolts and nuts from RapidParts, not a VW delaer but a VW Audi shop in NY. I thought only VW dealers stocked VW parts? They were 10.9 grade though. I have 2 bottom bolts a friend gave me from an 85 VW and they are marked 12.9. Seems to be a lot of variations in what grade bolts were/ are used

nope, lots of independent shops also carry OEM stuff. Do you have a link to these camber bolts from RapidParts?

FWIW, the bottom bolts are used for the top also. MKIIs came from the factory with all 4 bolts being the same. The upper bolts are only to be used when a camber correction of significant change is required. This is usually to compensate for a bent suspension component..

Reply #31June 20, 2011, 07:35:05 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 07:35:05 am »
nope, lots of independent shops also carry OEM stuff. Do you have a link to these camber bolts from RapidParts?

FWIW, the bottom bolts are used for the top also. MKIIs came from the factory with all 4 bolts being the same. The upper bolts are only to be used when a camber correction of significant change is required. This is usually to compensate for a bent suspension component..

I do not have a link to these bolts. I gave a ride to a friend to pick up a car they did some work on and on a wim asked if they had these bolts. They had ETKA and looked up the p/n's and had them in stock. I think they are the same p/n you gave but will double check. They are bagged with the p/n's on the bag label, marked made in Netherlands. I'll take a pic and post later.

Reply #32June 20, 2011, 07:39:27 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:27 am »
I'd like to add that I've been wrenching on my own cars for many years and not a noob. I used to break bolts when I first started (and bruised my knuckles). I haven't broken a bolt or got bruised in a looong time.

Reply #33June 20, 2011, 09:11:40 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 09:11:40 am »
I'd like to add that I've been wrenching on my own cars for many years and not a noob. I used to break bolts when I first started (and bruised my knuckles). I haven't broken a bolt or got bruised in a looong time.

It would have helped solve the mystery if you DID have a long history of bolt breaking ;D

Are the nuts stuck on the threads?

According to 'KATE' the  offset bolts are optional, so I suppose four offset bolts could be used in some circumstances.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #34June 20, 2011, 09:25:12 am

BillyWillicker

• Junior

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 09:25:12 am »
Neat, 3 page thread on 2 busted bolts.  When that happens, I buy more and drive on.  Glad you got it sorted out though!!

Jason

Reply #35June 20, 2011, 05:10:31 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 05:10:31 pm »
Actually, the mystery I was referring to when I started the thread was why the broken stud won't go back into the hole that it was in.  Drove me nuts. I knew that was impossible. That mystery was solved.

I didn't consider the broken bolts a mystery.
All 4 nuts are still frozen on the studs. There was /is no sign of movement between them. I think the only  way to get the nuts off easily is to heat them up red hot with an oxy acetylene torch.

Reply #36June 20, 2011, 05:39:22 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 05:39:22 pm »
Neat, 3 page thread on 2 busted bolts.  When that happens, I buy more and drive on.  Glad you got it sorted out though!!

Jason

lol, yea, 3 pages is a bit excessive for some broken bolts..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #37June 20, 2011, 11:45:13 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:13 pm »
I read the entire thing and loved every moment of it. The drama! The excitement! The fact I may need new bolts as well!! WEEEEEE!  ;D

Reply #38June 21, 2011, 01:23:41 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 01:23:41 am »
I was told the gap between the strut cap and the up and down movement between the cap and strut tower while the wheel is hanging is not normal

On a MK2 it's normal.

careful what you say. There is a limit and I have seen spring perches destroyed from ignored failing strut bearing/bushings...

Sooo are you saying it's not normal for the struts to move up and down on a MK2 when you lift it up so the wheel is off the ground?
 is the amount it moves what you use to determine if the bearings/bushings are bad?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #39June 21, 2011, 02:18:56 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 02:18:56 pm »
some up and down play is normal with the wheels off the ground. the limit of up/down play for me to feel comfortable with is about 20mm. More than that and I replace them. The problem that happens when there is too much play is that the bushing will start to make contact with the upper spring perch. Then when the steering wheel is being turned, the bearing is no longer turning and the spring perch starts to wear into the bushing which will ruin the spring perch. HTH

Reply #40June 21, 2011, 04:59:25 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 04:59:25 pm »
Left one is new, right is old.
Why is the old one so much shorter? The rubber looks and feels solid. Has it been compressed with age? 

Reply #41June 21, 2011, 05:28:11 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 05:28:11 pm »
Has it been compressed with age? 

Yes. that is exactly what has happened.

Reply #42June 21, 2011, 06:56:33 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 06:56:33 pm »
Has it been compressed with age? 

Yes. that is exactly what has happened.

Yet the height of the outer part is higher on the old setup, or is that an optical delusion?
I think the Quantum setup is slightly different. Does that bit have the bearing? I'll pop out and photo one I have to hand [midnight here]!
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #43June 21, 2011, 07:14:02 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 07:14:02 pm »
A B2 Passat is totally different. What you are seeing is sort of an optical illusion. What is making it look taller is that the top of the buching/bearing (they are set upside down in the pic) gets pushed up as the rubber settles over time. so it (the old one) is sitting on that raised area in the pic. Hope that makes sense..

Reply #44June 22, 2011, 08:50:58 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 08:50:58 pm »
Got the other bad strut bearing off. New one in the center, the other 2 are the collapsed old ones.

Fixmyvw.com