Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Leaky Injector  (Read 2119 times)

June 04, 2011, 10:18:39 am

DieselBalz

• Veteran

Leaky Injector
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:18:39 am »
One of the injectors is leaky. Do I just replace the one, or do em all? Also, if I get a new injector, do I have to have it pop tested or can you install it right out of the box?

Reply #1June 04, 2011, 12:06:14 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: Leaky Injector
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 12:06:14 pm »
You mean it leaks into the cylinder, or into the ground?
If its leaking into the cylinder, how do you know it?

Reply #2June 04, 2011, 12:26:29 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 12:26:29 pm »
Its leaking outside of the injector.As you look down at it diesel collects in the little ridge where the upper body screws into the lower body, and around the injector on the block. Not alot, but its there.

Reply #3June 04, 2011, 01:03:59 pm

81 vw pu

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:03:59 pm »
Its leaking outside of the injector.As you look down at it diesel collects in the little ridge where the upper body screws into the lower body, and around the injector on the block. Not alot, but its there.

I had one leaking about 3 weeks ago. Check the jumper lines, mine was the rubber cap on the end. Replaced that with a vacumn cap and leak stopped.
It looked the same as you decribed, gathering between the upper and lower injection body, then running down the head and block.

Reply #4June 04, 2011, 01:26:15 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:26:15 pm »
The rubber lines are the most common spot for them to leak for sure...

They can also leak from the fitting where the high pressure line attaches, or they can seep between the two halves of the injector body.  But if the lines haven't been off recently, and the injectors haven't been touched in a long time then it's almost always going to be the rubber lines.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5June 04, 2011, 06:16:47 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 06:16:47 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't buy new objectors. Just get crazy/creative with the blue r t v and it'll fix it.

Reply #6June 04, 2011, 10:33:44 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 10:33:44 pm »
The rubber lines are the most common spot for them to leak for sure...

They can also leak from the fitting where the high pressure line attaches, or they can seep between the two halves of the injector body.  But if the lines haven't been off recently, and the injectors haven't been touched in a long time then it's almost always going to be the rubber lines.
Spot on...

Cures for the rubber lines is to make them a little long when replacing, then when the ends harden, and one end or both leak, 8 to 10mm  can be snipped off. Yhis saves at least half of your line consumption.

Cure for the high pressure line, is to take the line out, and using a spare injector, hand tighten line onto injector and rotate a couple of times. Prior to doing this take an eyepiece and look at the 'muffin' effect created by graunching up the nut on the line  repeatedly. Relook after following my proceedure and then check by
painting the muffin with an indelible  felt tip. Red's a good one to see.  8) If there is not a seal all round revealed bythe disappearance of the ink, then the 'graunch' ridge needs gentle filing away.

Applying finger pressure to line to hold it correctly in place on the top of the injector as you spin the nut on helps when replacing the lines.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #7June 04, 2011, 10:53:52 pm

DieselBalz

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:53:52 pm »
It was the rubber line. I just replaced all of them a few months ago, but I let the engine warm up and than held the throttle at some decent load, and could see it seeping ever so slowly outta the line where the rubber meets the metal. So I am gonna cut it and stick it back down on there as I did go a little long on the replacement just in case.

Its not alot but it annoys me. Just happy its not the injector itself.

Reply #8June 05, 2011, 06:46:25 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 06:46:25 pm »
It was the rubber line. I just replaced all of them a few months ago, but I let the engine warm up and than held the throttle at some decent load, and could see it seeping ever so slowly outta the line where the rubber meets the metal. So I am gonna cut it and stick it back down on there as I did go a little long on the replacement just in case.

Its not alot but it annoys me. Just happy its not the injector itself.

whenever i get a VW diesel, i take the stock return lines off the injectors, and i use toyota vacuum line for the return lines. after upgrading, i never get the leaks returning..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.