S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Adding AC  (Read 2831 times)

May 31, 2011, 07:21:22 pm

cervelorod

• User+

Adding AC
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »
Seems I see most people removing the AC from the 1.6's, but I would like to add it.  I recently added a turbo to my 1.6NA, and it gets hot here in the summer.  I think I have a few extra ponies I could spare to keep cool.  Would the best option be sourcing parts from a donor car?  I can't find anything aftermarket.

Thanks,
Rod
1990 Jetta II, turbo'ed NA

Reply #1May 31, 2011, 07:33:11 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Adding AC
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:33:11 pm »
just get parts from a mk2 with a/c. the cars with a/c are more common anyways..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2May 31, 2011, 08:04:45 pm

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:04:45 pm »
The "easiest" way to do it is to get the parts from a donor car:

Condensor, evaporator, hoses, interior boxes, controls, wiring harness, brackets, pulleys, etc.

The nice thing about a MK2, is there is no cutting involved. The car was designed from the factory for AC installation.

Another plus to the MK2 diesel is that the alternator/compressor bracket is the same. You'll need to find the upper alt bracket, alternator, pulley, and lower compressor-tensioner bracket off a diesel. Should be pretty easy to locate, and you won't have to remove your injection pump to swap the bracket.

Also, most of the parts from a gasser will work. Things that will not:

1) Engine and possibly interior harness: a 1990 Jetta should be CE2. So, engine harness should be plug and play with your existing car. Or, the connectors may already be there (unlikely). So long as you find a 1990-1992 donor car (with CE2), you should be good to go.

2) AC hoses: I know for certain that the low-pressure hose is diesel-specific. The high pressure lines might interchange with gasser ones though.

If you need, I have MK2 diesel AC hoses.

Reply #3June 01, 2011, 10:14:52 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:52 am »
The "easiest" way to do it is to get the parts from a donor car:

Condensor, evaporator, hoses, interior boxes, controls, wiring harness, brackets, pulleys, etc.

The nice thing about a MK2, is there is no cutting involved. The car was designed from the factory for AC installation.

Another plus to the MK2 diesel is that the alternator/compressor bracket is the same. You'll need to find the upper alt bracket, alternator, pulley, and lower compressor-tensioner bracket off a diesel. Should be pretty easy to locate, and you won't have to remove your injection pump to swap the bracket.

Also, most of the parts from a gasser will work. Things that will not:

1) Engine and possibly interior harness: a 1990 Jetta should be CE2. So, engine harness should be plug and play with your existing car. Or, the connectors may already be there (unlikely). So long as you find a 1990-1992 donor car (with CE2), you should be good to go.

2) AC hoses: I know for certain that the low-pressure hose is diesel-specific. The high pressure lines might interchange with gasser ones though.

If you need, I have MK2 diesel AC hoses.

pretty positive you need a diesel specific bracket, just because of the pulley offset difference..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4June 01, 2011, 03:17:24 pm

trav1856

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:17:24 pm »
Yeah, you need the diesel bracket..mainly because the off-set, but also because early gassers were York style, and the diesels were the sanden/bosch style. (round)
1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Reply #5June 02, 2011, 01:32:56 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 01:32:56 pm »
yup, that too.. didnt the SUPER EARLY gas cars get the compressor up top, and the alternator under it, in the stock location?

and the diesel cars got bosch compressors, and they were low mounted, with the alt up by the IP?

Reply #6June 13, 2011, 12:41:59 pm

trav1856

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 12:41:59 pm »
yup, that too.. didnt the SUPER EARLY gas cars get the compressor up top, and the alternator under it, in the stock location?

and the diesel cars got bosch compressors, and they were low mounted, with the alt up by the IP?

That's the way mine is. The alt is mounted near the IP and the compressor is mounted where you'd expect the alt to be.
1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Fixmyvw.com