S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: GM marine nozzles??  (Read 5637 times)

May 19, 2011, 01:49:44 pm

vwjunkie53

• Junior

• The Volvo diesel forum
GM marine nozzles??
« on: May 19, 2011, 01:49:44 pm »
Anyone run these?  I know building the pump with a bigger head is going to make the largest improvement, however I'm still working on doing the 12mm pump for my D24T.  Right now the stock 10mm head pump is maxed out and I'm running 273 nozzles.  With my current turbo/intercooler setup I'm cleaning up all the fuel at 25lbs of boost.  The nozzles are advertised as 40hp upgrade for the GM, so I'm hoping I could see a power increase..  Throwing in a set of nozzles is quick and easy compaired to doing a pump, and with a new baby around my free time is limited. 

Thanks,
Jason

1984 Volvo 760 GLE,  "built" D24T w/ARP studs, MLS head gasket, ported/polished head, 3 angle valve job, NA cam, 56mm T3/T4, NA manifold, FMIC w/ 3" alum piping, 3" turbo back, detailed in CAT yellow. T-5 manual swapped w/ Clutchnet 6-puck.  Best of 16.07@86mph with orig. worn out engine.

Reply #1May 19, 2011, 01:58:15 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: GM marine nozzles??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:58:15 pm »
owen ran a set of 6.2 or 6.5 nozzles in his VW.. i dont think they were a power increase..

VW nozzles already flow lots of fuel.. more than the engine can burn.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2May 19, 2011, 03:18:51 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:18:51 pm »
I wonder if those are the same as military nozzles?  HMMW is supposed to be 165HP.

Reply #3May 19, 2011, 07:37:37 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »
I am running(and have run in VW's in the past, like the G60 diesel) the GM 6.2 truck nozzles with good results.

no power increase on their own, but they will be able to out-flow the VW ones.

the reason that those are a power increase for a GM motor is that the nozzles were a bottleneck in fueling.
on a VW they are not by a long shot.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #4May 22, 2011, 08:06:15 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:06:15 pm »
candidate for more fuel= how much boost at how many rpms, this is a very important question for me
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #5May 22, 2011, 09:06:56 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 09:06:56 pm »
candidate for more fuel= how much boost at how many rpms, this is a very important question for me

what are you talking about? what engine? what do you want to know? you dont put bigger injector nozzles in an idi VW its a waste of time. the nozzles are not the bottle neck.. they flow more fuel than the pump is capable of pumping..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6May 22, 2011, 09:40:57 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »
that is all I am trying to find out ROR.  not a stupid question considerin that I am pulling all of the stops in my build.  The nozzles would flow more fuel than a regular person with a regular turbo at regular boost levels at regular rpms, with a regular pump would be able to pull off, I don't want a bottle neck, that is why the what for.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #7May 22, 2011, 11:24:22 pm

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 11:24:22 pm »
ROR is right, I think there are multiple people here with 200+hp and stock nozzles
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #8May 22, 2011, 11:24:42 pm

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:24:42 pm »
sorry, double post.
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #9May 23, 2011, 03:23:29 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 03:23:29 am »
cool, so no problem then, no need for aftermarket nozzles of any kind.  EVER ;D
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #10May 23, 2011, 03:09:53 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 03:09:53 pm »
cool, so no problem then, no need for aftermarket nozzles of any kind.  EVER ;D

like i said, the injectors flow more fuel than the pump (even a giles pump) is capable of supplying.. all you need is a good, fresh set of nozzles and your good to go.

Reply #11May 26, 2011, 05:11:37 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 05:11:37 pm »
There is a lot more to an injector then just the amount of fuel it flows. When it flows how much, and if it has a pre-stream (forget the proper term) are just 2 variables. If flow was all that mattered there wouldn't be hundreds of different injector nozzles.
Tyler

Reply #12May 26, 2011, 09:25:24 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 09:25:24 pm »
I get that, but due to the limited shape of the swirl chamber, and for all intents and purposes, the pattern is adequate .  I do however, want to redesign a new type of swirl chamber that utilizes a vaccum design incorporated into it, basically it creates a turbine effect like a small vortex inside the combustion area and the swirl chamber, to better mix the air/fuel.  for this a narrow cone shaped spray pattern would be necessary.  this would also allow for a more even and thourough burn/flamefront, and be an altogether efficient design reducing emmissions as well.  for the purpose of this forum, however, an different nozzle will not produce more power/efficiency, to the best of anyones knowledge.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb

Reply #13May 26, 2011, 11:00:22 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:00:22 pm »
basically it creates a turbine effect like a small vortex inside the combustion area and the swirl chamber, to better mix the air/fuel.  for this a narrow cone shaped spray pattern would be necessary.  this would also allow for a more even and thourough burn/flamefront, and be an altogether efficient design reducing emmissions as well.

a.k.a TDI ;D

Reply #14May 27, 2011, 09:40:09 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 09:40:09 am »
There is a lot more to an injector then just the amount of fuel it flows. When it flows how much, and if it has a pre-stream (forget the proper term) are just 2 variables. If flow was all that mattered there wouldn't be hundreds of different injector nozzles.

well, yea, we need to take into account if if it has the proper shape spray, and since were dealing with a 1.6, there is no need to worry about the pre-injection, because there is none..

thats why like 5 out of the hundreds of nozzles out there work with a VW..

GM prechamber should be shaped pretty similarly to the VW also.. and the 6.2/6.5 never had any sort of pre-injection that im aware of..

Fixmyvw.com