S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: BFI Stage .5 motor mounts  (Read 2029 times)

May 16, 2011, 10:47:55 pm

DJPyro

• Junior

BFI Stage .5 motor mounts
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:47:55 pm »
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else is running these? I picked up a set of the .5 mounts a while ago, and just got around to installing them today. Drivability wise, they're amazing. Shifting is much nicer, it's noticable on take off, and any changing load condition... Night and day difference. Vibrations at idle are a bit comedic however... I suspect they'll break in a bit, but I think I have to adjust my idle a bit... Off idle it's very smooth/tolerable. Slight vibration increase, but nothing unreasonable.

Just figured I'd share my experience with them, if anyone was looking to upgrade.

This was in a Mk3 Jetta with a 1.9 AAZ. As fas as I know I was replacing the original motor mounts, certainly they were over 100,000Km old. Sagged at least 1/4" when compared against the new poly mounts. Prior to the swap, drivetrain movement was very noticable, and was inducing significant torque steer, in addition to sloppy engagement from a stop, and lots of banging around on shifts...

I'd recommend these ones to someone that doesn't mind driving a more "aggressive" car... BFI also has a "stock hardness" set that is just of a better construction than stock. I'd say those would be better for most people... If I were to do it over again, I'd probably go with them, although I don't regret getting the .5 mounts.

Reply #1May 17, 2011, 05:04:57 am

Thezorn

• Veteran

Re: BFI Stage .5 motor mounts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 05:04:57 am »
Thanks for the post man, definatley something ive always wondered about. Good to know that they are at least tolerable :P
Compounded 93 AAZ

Reply #2May 17, 2011, 09:31:34 am

DJPyro

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:31:34 am »
Well... Depends on your definition of tollerable. I needed to replace mine, so they were going in regardless, and I figured I'd want something stiffer than stock, but like I said, the vibration at idle is almost comical... I'll try to get a little in car footage today. I think it's partially to do with the way my particular car idles, since it smooths out completely off idle. I've also heard they break in after a few hundred miles, so well see what they feel like in a few weeks.

Reply #3May 18, 2011, 08:34:59 am

DJPyro

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:34:59 am »
So I took a video, but it was fairly useless as far as showing the increased NVH, which I kind of expected... I'm gonna fiddle around with my idle a bit today and see if I can get things to smooth out. I think my old mounts were just so trashed I didn't notice that my car was idling this rough, not to mention the increased stiffness over stock with these mounts. Either way, it's so much smoother off idle that I'm attributing my comedic NVH at idle to poor idling characteristics, not entirely the mounts themselves.

Reply #4May 18, 2011, 11:03:44 am

Luckypabst

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:44 am »
I've had similar results with Techtonics' HD engine mounts in my Caddy. They don't break in.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy

Reply #5May 18, 2011, 05:45:53 pm

DJPyro

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:45:53 pm »
Worst case scenario, I have a buddy with a 2.slo that can use them, and I'll get the stealth mounts. Stock stiffness, better material.

Reply #6June 16, 2011, 08:54:22 am

DJPyro

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:54:22 am »
Just thought I'd update this to let everyone know, I bumped my idle up a bit (I did have it excessively low), and these mounts are amazing. They feel fantastic while driving, the NVH is increased minimally... And now with adjusting my idle, even at idle they're fine. The dash vibrates a bit, but nothing is rattling terribly, and the driving improvements are totally worth it.

After working out the low idle, and letting them break in for a few hundred km, they're amazing and probably one of the better things I've bought for my car in the last little bit.

Reply #7June 16, 2011, 09:47:39 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 09:47:39 am »
Great to know. My clutch is a bit grabby and if you are on a hill the engine rocks the mounts so hard I have been thinking of stiffer ones.

S-PAutomotive.com