Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: NA IP vs TD IP  (Read 1801 times)

April 23, 2011, 09:17:10 pm

ShoulderMan

• Junior

NA IP vs TD IP
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:17:10 pm »
After turning the max fuel screw up on my NA IP, my pump finally let go and puked out fuel this morning.  7 hours later and I now have a TD IP installed. 
What I noticed is that the NA IP ran like a beast from Hell after I turned the max fuel screw in. I had power from the moment I touched the pedal till I let off. it was wild.
      After taking the TD IP for a spin, and increasing the max fuel screw,  its still laggy of the line, but it feels more refined, smoother in its boosting/fueling, but seems to cut out after 4K RPM ::) ( Govener )...
 ( It almost, kind of like,.... accelerating in my M3, {Just slower} but it feels so smooth  its weard) The NA IP just seems to tear everything up.

What im wondering is... what is the benifit of using a modded TD IP over a turned up NA IP?   and which do you prefer?

Now I have not done the full gov. mod to the TD IP yet, so I can only complain about what I have tried.
Also,  after reading countless posts on shimming this or that... Can't you just use the bottom of a NA IP and a TD IP Top ?  or the fueling rod assy. from the NA for the TD?  as it doesent seem as if the NA has the same internals.

Thanks

-Ron

Reply #1April 24, 2011, 02:55:09 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: NA IP vs TD IP
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:09 pm »
After turning the max fuel screw up on my NA IP, my pump finally let go and puked out fuel this morning.  7 hours later and I now have a TD IP installed. 
What I noticed is that the NA IP ran like a beast from Hell after I turned the max fuel screw in. I had power from the moment I touched the pedal till I let off. it was wild.
      After taking the TD IP for a spin, and increasing the max fuel screw,  its still laggy of the line, but it feels more refined, smoother in its boosting/fueling, but seems to cut out after 4K RPM ::) ( Govener )...
 ( It almost, kind of like,.... accelerating in my M3, {Just slower} but it feels so smooth  its weard) The NA IP just seems to tear everything up.

What im wondering is... what is the benifit of using a modded TD IP over a turned up NA IP?   and which do you prefer?

Now I have not done the full gov. mod to the TD IP yet, so I can only complain about what I have tried.
Also,  after reading countless posts on shimming this or that... Can't you just use the bottom of a NA IP and a TD IP Top ?  or the fueling rod assy. from the NA for the TD?  as it doesent seem as if the NA has the same internals.

Thanks

-Ron

ive ran both, i prefer the n/a pump personally. my right foot can do the same job as an LDA.. but an LDA wont smoke people out like a n/a pump will..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2April 24, 2011, 03:08:28 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:08:28 pm »
Timing the same? Control pressure the same?

Reply #3April 25, 2011, 10:31:50 pm

ShoulderMan

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:50 pm »
Timing is the same, As i happened to jump a tooth while doing the swap, I re dbl check everything and timed it back to specs.

Now as of today, my job requires me to drive many many miles,... I always take the golf when possible (mileage reimbursment) so as the first real day of driving the car with the turbo pump,  it feels worse than yesterday. or the day before..when ever I did the swap.

It now feels like its cutting out at 3K rpm as apposed to 4K yesterday, it also seems or feels like it has a harder time running, like the brakes are dragging, or as if im pulling an extra 500bs of something,  It also feels like my peddle play shortened up, I sware I had more peddle before to mash to the ground. now its like a power wheels. 
I also noticed that Im only getting 5-7psi where as of the other day I was 10-15 on the hard shifts.

and yesterday the car ran smooth, none of these problems,  I did drive about 400 miles today. the oil level is good,   My coolent bottle is not good, its ... Melting... ::) What the hell, Ive never had a coolent resivor blister and open up before, I bought it from autohauz, for a few bucks,,,  is there a difference between the org. and the new?   org is still good at over 290K miles, the new one lasted 15K ?
topped off the tank at chevron this morning,   Any ideas?

Fixmyvw.com