Author Topic: shift rod bushing  (Read 3070 times)

January 22, 2006, 01:40:38 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

shift rod bushing
« on: January 22, 2006, 01:40:38 pm »
hey on my 79,,the shift rod bushing is tired,and sloppy,,ive seen a few things on here for fixes,,,some dude sells a delrin bushing,,,,then i saw a cheapy fix using a energy suspension shockeylet  bushing,,,,heres my question,,mybracket isnt rivited together,,its bolted,,,and it has lil booties over it,,,,can i still use that  energy suspension bushing???ive got low fundage,,and i know the delrin bushing is like 10$ but autozone is down the street,and they have the energy susp.bushings,,,any ideas??(oh engine is out,,and cleaning the engine bay was fun,not  ,,lotsa brakecleen,,,myhead is still pounding!!!!removed the right side raintray,,,stillprepping the bay for paint,,hopefully today itllget painted,,thanks yall,,,,,,,,,,

Throttle cables ftw

Reply #1January 23, 2006, 01:52:04 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
shift rod bushing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 01:52:04 pm »
Is this the bushing you're talking about?
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27

I had a few of these available a while back.  I can get some more made if anyone here is interested.  They really help take out the play in the A1's shifting mechanism.  It's amazing how many different areas of the VW shift linkage will pick up play at, and end up making the shifting feel so vague.  It's amazing how much better the shifting is when all the play is reduced by switching to close tolerance, low-friction joints like ball bearings.  After much development work, my Rabbit GTD Autocrosser now shifts more reliably and more effortlessly than a new honda!  I learned the lesson of how important shift linkage is the hard way about a couple years ago when I mis-shifted while on the track and over-revved the engine, destroying the head.

I've been working on developing ball bearing shift linkage parts like the ones I used in my GTD Autocrosser to sell, have gone through a couple iterations of the product, but am still working on making it an easy "bolt on" to install.  I'll keep you guys posted.  :)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2January 23, 2006, 03:35:07 pm

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
shift rod bushing
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 03:35:07 pm »
Hi Jake,
What is the cost of the above delrin bushing?  Sounds like a good upgrade.  I replaced my linkage bushings a couple years ago and was wishing at the time that I could replace that rod bracket bushing.

I'll have my engine out next week so that would be a good opportunity to do it, not that it would be available that quick, I could always do it later.  Chalk me up in the "interested" category though.

Reply #3January 23, 2006, 11:48:41 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

shift rod bushing
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 11:48:41 pm »
yea thats theone,,,theres another post using an energy susp. shock bushing  or somethin,,know anything about that?,,,,igot another idea to fix the play in the lower part with that rubber vulcanized ball,,,remove the ball,and find a sealed roller bearing ,the outer race rides where the rubber used toscrape,,id bet its less "stiction",,,,,,,,,,,id need one of those bushings withina week or so,,,that pic of the shockbushing made it look long,,like it would need to be trimmed to fit in the bracket "sandwich"
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #4February 01, 2006, 12:00:42 am

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

shift rod bushing
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 12:00:42 am »
MAN,,IMSCREWED,,,oops caps,,i have the "early 4 speed " bracket,,,look in the manual,,,,cant use any of this stuff,this sucks,,ohio sucks,,if i was in ny ,id find like 10 brackets just walking thru a boneyard
Throttle cables ftw

Fixmyvw.com