Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: oil light/buzzer  (Read 4464 times)

July 21, 2004, 04:45:23 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« on: July 21, 2004, 04:45:23 am »
I looked in the book and from what I can tell fuse#16 controls the warning indicators.  I'm wanting to disable the oil indicator light and buzzer, or at least the buzzer.  I for some reason don't have oil pressure up at the head so when the RPM's get low the buzzer/light comes on.  I am getting plenty of oil to the head. It is all over the place up there  when I take the oil cap off. The engine has been rebuilt and the machine shop could not find any reason why it doesn't have oil pressure once it is up to operating temp. At initial start up on a cold engine I get 20psi but goes to 0 when warmed up.  I have put 200 miles on the engine since I installed it and the thing runs like a champ. It is just that annoying oil buzzer/light. Just need to disable it.  

Any idea's?

Thanks

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1July 21, 2004, 06:51:00 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:51:00 am »
replace the oil pressure sensor on the side of the cylinder head (and/or on the oil filter flange) and don't run thinner than 10w40
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2July 21, 2004, 12:04:40 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:04:40 pm »
I changed both sensor's and I'm running 20w-50 oil.  

Now to find the wire that makes that buzzer go. :D
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #3July 21, 2004, 05:34:16 pm

1985JettaTD

sort of same problem
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 05:34:16 pm »
i have the same problem on my 1985 Jetta 1.6L TD. when i fill the oil up it will good aff all the time when the RPM is dropping but as i oil level goes down (i am losing a bit of oil from some unknown place) the buzzer will stop going off untill i put more oil back in. i dont have a presure gauge so i dont know what it is reading, if anyone has a fix for a problem like this it would be a big help. i think that all the sensors have been changed why the head was rebuilt. thanks for the help!

Reply #4July 23, 2004, 12:25:09 am

MK3 GTD

• User+

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 12:25:09 am »
im not sure why, but on my mk3 the oil pressure light will stay flashing when i run the engine with the alternator unplugged or the belt is off. when i tried to figure out why it was flashing, i checked the two sensors, and the head was showing no oil pressure, plug in alternator, head shows oil pressure, light goes out. So id say check your alternator connections, and make sure its not a bad alternator.
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #5July 23, 2004, 04:28:54 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 04:28:54 am »
Quote from: "MK3 GTD"
im not sure why, but on my mk3 the oil pressure light will stay flashing when i run the engine with the alternator unplugged or the belt is off. when i tried to figure out why it was flashing, i checked the two sensors, and the head was showing no oil pressure, plug in alternator, head shows oil pressure, light goes out. So id say check your alternator connections, and make sure its not a bad alternator.

How were you able to tell the difference between head oil pressure and oil filter housing oil pressure?  I had to install a mechanical gage at the head to find what pressure I was running, which is 0 at operating temp and 60psi at the oil filter housing port.

I will check the connections as soon as I get off work. I'm open to any and all suggestions.  If I at least can disconnect the buzzer, the flashing light isn't so bad.
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #6July 31, 2004, 10:03:08 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 10:03:08 pm »
if you actually have no oil pressure at the head, then the alternator thing doesnt apply, mine just reacted as if it had no signal from the cylinder head sensor with the alternator disconnected.
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #7August 01, 2004, 12:11:44 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 12:11:44 am »
wow, NOTHING at the head? is the head gasket installed correctly?
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #8August 02, 2004, 04:49:25 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 04:49:25 am »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
wow, NOTHING at the head? is the head gasket installed correctly?

I get 20 psi cold but once it is warmed up it goes down to 0 and stays there.  Now I got the valve cover blues as in the oil leakage from it and when I take the oil cap off it is soaked with oil as well so I'm getting volume just not pressure. Just did my first 500 mile oil change and it is running strong.

The head gasket is installed correctly. I triple checked that.
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #9August 10, 2004, 05:26:24 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 05:26:24 am »
Well I tried grounding out the electrical connector to the head sensor and that didn't do a thing.  I'm wondering if it might be connected to the alternator some how. I'm not getting oil pressure to the head at engine operating temperature, my mechanical gage shows that. But every now and then I can be driving the car and when I stop the light/buzzer doesn't come on, but for the most part it does come on below a certain RPM. I don't have a tach so not sure at what RPM that is. I do know that in fifth gear the buzzer goes out when I reach 60 mph.  

I have also noticed this morning the alternator light glowed really dim at idle. When I gave it some diesel it went out but at idle it just barely glowed. That is what is making me think for some reason the buzzer/light is connected to the alternator.  Any suggestions?  The belts are all adjusted properly, not to tight, not to loose, all connections are secure.  The light/buzzer is so annoying.
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #10August 23, 2004, 05:46:01 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil light/buzzer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 05:46:01 am »
After reading the bentley, it looks like taking out the instrument cluster is a total pain in the butt.  Before I get into that to get to the power source for the oil warning light/buzzer does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can take it out of the loop without having to tear into the dash? It really gets on my nerves.  What gets me is I have 0 oil pressure at the head at idle and at WOT but the light/buzzer comes on at a certain rpm and below.  At 60 mph it goes out.  Grounding out the sensor leads does not work. I'm open to any suggestions so I don't have to take apart the dash. Not looking forward to that task.

Thanks
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Fixmyvw.com