Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AAZ head on an NA? :D  (Read 3751 times)

April 10, 2011, 01:09:42 am

8v-of-fury

AAZ head on an NA? :D
« on: April 10, 2011, 01:09:42 am »
Ok so heres the thing fella's..

My head gasket is leaking a good amount of oil at the drain in between cyl 3 and 4, which then dripped down the front side of the transmission and seeped in to my bell-housing.. Can ya say slipping clutch? :( Its not too bad.. must have only gotten a small amount in there.. I have been contemplating spraying some brake cleaner in there, it wont hurt eh?

Anyway! so the HG is leaking, and will need replaced because this car needs to be a reliable one as well if its going to be my backup ;) This is actually an awesome story. I bought this car in 07 as a 1.7 gas with 167k km on it. 08 i picked up a wrecked running 91 golf for $350 stripped it for the engine/tranny, wheels and seats. Junked the rest. Broke even on the scrap, and parts i sold. It was maintained well, until stupid put the cruise on and fell asleep.. Anyway that motor got shoved to the back of the garage in dec 08. Sat there till i got my 81 1.6D in sept 09, where its parts became useful for that engine. Got it all good and buttoned up and drove it until sept 10 where i picked up a non running 98 tdi for $400. got it running and drove it for a month or two while i stripped the 81 for the TDI swap, then i started driving the gas one while i stripped the tdi oct 10. Traded the tdi shell for a running 91 1.6td, which we put in my brothers 84 in place of his gas engine.. which i then added to the 91's trunk along with a washing machine for scrap to get back over half of what i payed for the TDI.. AND NOW that original 1.6 na i bought in 08 has finally made its way in to the car it was intended for! my 84!

From what i recall the aaz head, will be direct swap to a hydraulic 1.6? yes? a 1.6/1.9 N/a hybrid? Why not eh I have the head sitting here that i picked up from Tyler a while back for this 91 engine, for my 84. Te original plan is working out! lol

ACTUALLY. Anyone know of anyone selling a complete AAZ head setup? IE. right off a running vehicle? everything included.

Reply #1April 10, 2011, 11:49:49 am

8v-of-fury

Re: AAZ head on an NA? :D
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:49:49 am »
I figured. :( OK. Well I guess I need to find either a full 1.6td head, or a full 1.9td head :) I think this baby wants boost :D

Reply #2April 10, 2011, 11:53:13 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:53:13 am »
I figured. :( OK. Well I guess I need to find either a full 1.6td head, or a full 1.9td head :) I think this baby wants boost :D

you dont need a turbo head to run boost..

i thought you already had an AAZ head? why do you need to find another?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3April 10, 2011, 12:01:48 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:48 pm »
I think the AAZ head will be just fine on the NA. Yes, it will bolt right on with nothing funny on a hydraulic 1.6.

You may see some gains on the highway, both mileage and performance. However, the lower velocity of the air entering the cylinders may actually have a negative effect as Andrew mentioned.

I say give it a go and report back :)
Tyler

Reply #4April 10, 2011, 12:17:47 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:17:47 pm »

I know I dont need a turbo head, or a turbo block. If i turbo it I want to swap on a head with everything on it. Manifolds, turbo, etc. Makes life easier and probably cheaper. Plus the head Tyler gave me is a little rough, so i dont know if its even usable.. he donated it to a good cause lol

I think the AAZ head will be just fine on the NA. Yes, it will bolt right on with nothing funny on a hydraulic 1.6.

You may see some gains on the highway, both mileage and performance. However, the lower velocity of the air entering the cylinders may actually have a negative effect as Andrew mentioned.

Hmm, generally porting naturally aspirated engines (in the gasser world) is a desired thing.. any reason it isn't so on our diesels?

Reply #5April 10, 2011, 12:27:22 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:22 pm »

I know I dont need a turbo head, or a turbo block. If i turbo it I want to swap on a head with everything on it. Manifolds, turbo, etc. Makes life easier and probably cheaper. Plus the head Tyler gave me is a little rough, so i dont know if its even usable.. he donated it to a good cause lol

Hmm, generally porting naturally aspirated engines (in the gasser world) is a desired thing.. any reason it isn't so on our diesels?

but, over porting a gasser engine is a bad thing.. and an AAZ head on a n/a, that would probably be the equivalent of an over-ported head.

if the air is going too slow, it doesnt fill the cylinder as well.. the velocity of the air actually kinda "rams" some air into the cylinder..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6April 10, 2011, 12:40:29 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:29 pm »
I ported the head on my 1.9NA and while I can't draw any accurate conclusions because I changed so much at once, I think it was well worth the effort.

What intake manifold were you planning on running?
Tyler

Reply #7April 10, 2011, 12:43:04 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »
I ported the head on my 1.9NA and while I can't draw any accurate conclusions because I changed so much at once, I think it was well worth the effort.

What intake manifold were you planning on running?

1Y would work good if your not gonna boost it. would work better if you do boost it tho. lol.

Reply #8April 10, 2011, 08:08:05 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 08:08:05 pm »
Tyler, I was thinking of running the manifold off my 8v gasser, and the exhaust off whichever looks the least restrictive. However I think the mk1 diesel intake has longer runners... might use it.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:16:09 pm by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #9April 11, 2011, 12:05:52 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:05:52 pm »
oval port manifold matched up to a D port head will not flow good. the D port intake (1Y) will flow better being that its matched to the head.

Reply #10April 11, 2011, 08:53:27 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 08:53:27 pm »
I like the idea of the 1Y.. But I dunno of how easy it will be to come by.. ALSO if things go to plan I'll be driving a TDI in less than 40 days. And this will be back burnered.. And probably just a HG done lol

Fixmyvw.com