Author Topic: shorter Rad. Is there such a thing?  (Read 3415 times)

January 19, 2006, 11:11:18 pm

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

• http://www.canadubs.com
shorter Rad. Is there such a thing?
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:11:18 pm »
Check this out. It looks like he has a stubby radiator. I have the stock MKIV I/C for my swap and am having some troubles figuring out where I want it routed. If I could get my car setup something like this, I think it would do the trick nicely. Would having a smaller rad compared to mine (second pic) cause  problems with cooling?

Ideas/comments? Keep in mind, I will have smoked e-codes as opposed to the single rounds like this guy.

Reply #1January 20, 2006, 02:22:01 am

Steve Landeau

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 02:22:01 am »
My 81 Rabbit came with that radiator when I bought it. It did not fit "properly" but was working fine. It had little tabs to make the cooling fan fit properly, and they look factory (not home made), but did not fit the bolt pattern at the bottom. I now have an OEM copper core rad that is a few inches longer across. I Have not seen any difference in operation, and will likely go back to it when I get my td rebuilt and add an IC.
Steve Landeau
'81 rabbit Diesel L
'95 Chevy 2500 6.5 TD
'03 Jetta 1.8T

Reply #2January 20, 2006, 03:51:44 pm

MrDave

• User+

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 03:51:44 pm »
Keith,

you have ETKA at your fingertips, look to see what is/was available on the mk2's.

The big rad you have is from the old 1.6D.   Those engines created alot of waste heat, hence the big rad.

The ALH TDI hardly generates any heat.  You can run a smaller rad with no problems.  The only time you'd see a rise in water temps would be pulling a trailer or under heavy load (ie: climbing the Cocquahala).

I went from the huge 1.6D rad to the stock smaller rad used on the 1.8.

I had a 1/8 hole in my thermostat (to help get air pockets out), and because of that I couldn't keep the engine at temp on the highway.
Now that that's fixed, in the winter, I block off my intercooler and 95% of my rad to keep everything warmer.  You don't even really need the IC for the winter.

I'd recommend replacing your heater core and your rad.   My understanding is that you don't want the old green coolant to mix with the new pink stuff.   And besides, it's easier to do now when everything is apart.

-Dave

Reply #3January 23, 2006, 07:54:36 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 07:54:36 am »
man are you correct  about tdis making little heat in a non stock application my '98 tdi mech engine in my 81 rabbit pick up  made LITTLE heat especially with 0-20 degree temps out tried not blocking any thing off and on a 35 min drive to work  going fast 65 mph or so no heat in cab lots of wind leaks into cab ..as i have no insulation ha and no rain gutter and damn th eoil and water temp never broke 100 f...next day i blocked it off and still cold and tempos wehn to about 135 f haha...ganna have to use a smaller radiator and a VERY HOT thermostat..
thansk
deo

Reply #4January 28, 2006, 06:43:44 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:43:44 am »
well i am trying to find a smaller radiator too..you may have luck going to your local napa or other auto parts store and checking the parts catalog i looked yesterday ..there isn't much smaller then our vw radiators taht ins shorter or narrower...heck i even have ayugo radiator here at teh house and it lookssmall but th thing is able 2 -3" taller then a rabbit rad...oh another tip the parts books spec sheets tell dimensions in th ecore only the dimensions listed do not include the end tnks etc..so you have to keep that in mind.
Thanks and good luck
deo

Reply #5January 28, 2006, 09:49:42 am

dubCanuck1

• Veteran

• http://www.canadubs.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 09:49:42 am »
The gas MKI's and MKII's have a 525 mm radiator. The Corrado 1.8's had a 430 mm radiator (Engine models KR, 9A, 2E, ADY, PG, part numbers 191 121 253 L or 535 121 251 B). If you live someplace warm, you want one of the larger rads. I think I'll try the "shorty" That leaves me with 200 mm more room than the stock setup, which should allow me to throw my intercooler up front. If not, I'll go with the 525.

Reply #6January 28, 2006, 10:46:33 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 10:46:33 am »
That's funny, was just browsing USRT's website and they are developing short radiators for VW's.  Not avaliable yet but look promising: http://usrallyteam.com/rads.html

Brendan
84 Scirocco 8v
00 Camaro L36 M49
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green