Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1980 Diesel Rabbit Overheating after Head Swap.  (Read 5682 times)

March 18, 2011, 12:27:02 am

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
1980 Diesel Rabbit Overheating after Head Swap.
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:27:02 am »
So i'm getting a 1980 Rabbit 1.6 Diesel tomorrow for free.  ;D It's pretty minty and has had a lot of work done but as far as I know the motor heats up and the coolant res. pressurizes fairly quickly which is bad... :-\ How ever she just had the head-gasket and the head swapped supposedly by a guy in Rhode Island after she blew the head-gasket. Any ideas? ??? ??? [I don't know a ton of info about this car I haven't even had a chance to look at it except for pictures.]

Reply #1March 18, 2011, 12:31:35 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: 1980 Diesel Rabbit Overheating after Head Swap.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:31:35 am »
Sounds like the HG is still leaking..

Could be that the head is cracked or warped..  IF it still has it's original engine is could be quite likely the block is cracked..  Most likely you're looking at pulling the head again to investigate..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:33:42 am by maxfax »

Reply #2March 18, 2011, 01:49:53 am

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:49:53 am »
Well that's the thing supposedly it has a new head. But i'm not sure. I guess I was hoping there might be something else. Is there anything else that could produce these symptoms?

Reply #3March 18, 2011, 02:18:01 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:18:01 am »
How fast is it building pressure??  Within a minute of starting??   Not too much else that can build pressure right off other than compression leaks..   

The other question would be what is a "new" head..  If you still have the original 1.5 in the car it would be some variety of reman, or a rebuilt used head, or just a really clean used head..   Could have been a dud, could have been installed wrong..

And the head could be fine, as I mentioned earlier the early diesels had problems with blocks cracking..  Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but I'm throwing it out there..

Do you have any idea for sure what engine is in the car?

Reply #4March 18, 2011, 02:44:11 am

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:44:11 am »
I'm pretty sure it's a 1.6 with a 5speed trans. So I'm sure it's not an original engine but i'm not entirely sure if the head was swapped or just the gasket. I don't really care what it is. I have plenty of time to go over it, but it would be sweet to discover something stupid like air in the radiator was causing the problem and boom I have a running car for free.

Reply #5March 18, 2011, 03:32:30 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 03:32:30 am »
Get the code from the engine block, and we can help you identify exactly which engine you have..  It can be found here:

Air trapped in the coolant system isn't a huge issue with these..  Can't hurt to check things out good though.. A compression test or more so a leak down test (if you have access to the tools) would tell the tale best..

In the mean time check out the FAQ, lots of good info about this on there...

Reply #6March 18, 2011, 06:08:11 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 06:08:11 pm »
Oh i've checked the FAQ many times... It's what I read when I don't have anything else to do or the weather is too bad to actually do work. Or if i'm just procrastinating work... Like right this moment.

Well the car is coming tomorrow morning so I should be able to get some more info. But after reading some more is there any chance that the cooling system is plugged up? I mean particularly if all this work has been done on it perhaps it stirred up mad sediment and needs a flush? I was just wondering if this sort of thing would display the same sort of symptoms.

Reply #7March 19, 2011, 01:26:46 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:46 am »
Or if i'm just procrastinating work... Like right this moment.

Yup, know all about that.. ;D

A blockage could cause some issues..  The determining factor is going to be how fast it builds pressure..  If it happens within the first min or 2 of running it has to be compression leaking...  Otherwise that's not enough time to heat things up to build pressure..  IF it takes 5 mins or so then I'd go looking at things like blockages and water pumps not working...  Keep up posted on what you find when you get your fingers on it..

Reply #8March 20, 2011, 08:45:20 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »

Here she is finally home.

Here are some pictures of the writing on the block

More

It started right up but it doesn't currently have any coolant in the res. and it has a leak where the inj. lines go into the injector... So i'm gonna have to sort that out... Kinda hoping I don't have to re head gasket it.

Reply #9March 20, 2011, 08:52:40 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 08:52:40 pm »
That is sweet!!  Love the yellow...

For diagnostic purposes you could just fill the cooling system with water and see what happens...

Is the fuel leak from the steel injector line, or the little return hoses??  The little return hoses can be a bugger.. If it was old hose removed and re installed they usually won;t seal unless you cut a tad off the end of them, or best yet replace them..  The steel lines can be overtightened and distorted which will cause them to leak..  OR it may just not be seated in there properly.. 

The number you will need for the engine is pretty much right behind the bypass hose that comes from the head to the water pump..  There will be a flat spot on the block where's it's stamped..  It's kind of a bugger to see...

Reply #10March 21, 2011, 12:22:08 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 12:22:08 pm »
sweet, it used to be a Vegi car.. :(
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #11March 21, 2011, 05:29:14 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:29:14 pm »
Here is what I posted on VWDIESELPARTS Just provides a little history of the car and my own experience. I don't want anyone wasting their time telling me to buy a Bentley  ;) ;D

It's snowing today so I haven't had a chance to get the code off the block but I will!

Edit: It's still a veggie car... If I can find teh veggie... and filter it... ugh... ;D

Well. Let me tell you all I know about this engine and some more about my experience. You guys gave me some excellent answers but if my op had been clearer you could skip a little. I do have a Bently.

This is my third VW Diesel. I had a '85 Diesel Golf for 6-7 months that ran like a top and rusted through the winter. I eventually sold it back to VW when I happened to ask if I had any recalls on the vehicle. Stealership told me that the Gas Tank was recalled and after attempting to find me a gas tank they decided to just buy the car from me. I got $1000 for it. I paid $500 and put $0 into it.

With my 1k I bought my current car which is a 1990 VW Golf Diesel that I blew up by putting to much oil in...   I then had my friend swap in a Quantum 1.6 Turbo Diesel Motor. (yes it was a pain in the ass.)

My newest car is obviously this Rabbit. It was owned by a woman in MA that paid someone to fix it up to be her daily driver. She then drove it daily. Then she blew the head gasket and sent it to said mechanic and he supposedly fixed it. Then she drove it home and it started showing symptoms of a blown head gasket... According to her it happened within the first 50 miles. She took it back to him multiple times and he kept insisting that the car was perfect and then accused her of ruining the car on the way home just to mess with him.    

I haven't ran it long enough for it to heat up because one of the injectors is leaking and I don't have any coolant to pour in it... I kinda like that dye idea. It sounds exciting. I have some tools and some people who might be able to guide me a little but basically I work in my driveway. If I have to pull the head then that's fine i'll figure it out. I could buy a head gasket... Perhaps some other things. I'd love to be able to get this driving for under $300. [Obv if the head/block is toast i'll get new ones but it'll just take more time/$$$.]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:36:33 pm by shwak23 »

Reply #12March 21, 2011, 06:11:20 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:11:20 pm »
Don't worry too much about the fuel leak for now..  It would suck to get that fixed then find that you have to rip it all back apart to do a HG..   No use wasting antifreeze if you have to drain it right away to fix something..  Fill 'er up with water, run 'er and see what you got..   Won't hurt a thing as long as you don;t let the water in there for freezing temps....

Reply #13March 21, 2011, 08:52:50 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 08:52:50 pm »

It's a little too cold today to be using water as coolant. Up here in Maine ya know?

Reply #14March 21, 2011, 08:57:55 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:55 pm »
Looks a bit too cold to be doing much of anything..    :P   Let me rephrase that to use water on a nicer day, then drain it when you have your verdict.. 

S-PAutomotive.com