Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: no more smoke tales....  (Read 5608 times)

March 15, 2011, 05:16:52 pm

bgrunhaus

no more smoke tales....
« on: March 15, 2011, 05:16:52 pm »
Hey guys i believe this is something to share!

a few days ago i installed a water injection system on my AAZ.

i quickly noticed that there was no smoke! then i decided to crank the fuel screw a turn and a half and guess what? NO SMOKE!!!!

im impressed!

im only injecting water @ 10psi and up.

i recomend water injection to everyone out there! the car is faster and no smoke! does it mean i can crank the fuel screw even more?

im telling you, i cant believe it!!

two thumbs up for water injection! 100% water! WOW!!!

Reply #1March 15, 2011, 05:22:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: no more smoke tales....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 05:22:48 pm »
how are you injecting it?

what were your EGTs before and after?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2March 16, 2011, 02:43:54 am

bgrunhaus

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:43:54 am »
im sorry, I dont have that kind of info, yet!

i have a very simple setup by Coolingmist, i had a VR6 3.0 SC corrado and i had the setup for that engine but i sold the car so i kept the kit and i installed it in my new car, the AAZ.

tha thing is a have HUGE nozzle, 300cc/min to be precise. from what i've been reading im injecting twice the amount needed but the car doesn't miss or anything.

the thing is it DOESN'T smoke so i'm really impressed!

i might get a and gauge and do a more scientific procedure to decide if the water injection is as good as i feel and of course post the effect on the EGT's

so far? AMAZED!

can anyone share their experience?  any pointers?

thank you for your interest!

Reply #3March 16, 2011, 12:17:16 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:17:16 pm »
if you shoot too much water, you are going to bend a rod..

it takes something like 2.5cc's of water to bend a rod..

be careful, dont run too much.. its just making your compression go thru the roof.. water displaces air in the combustion chamber.. and water does not compress..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4March 16, 2011, 11:18:59 pm

bgrunhaus

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:18:59 pm »
thanks for your concerns!

here are some numbers

im using a 300cc/min nozzle
that means 5cc/sec

divided by 4 (cylinders) is 1.25cc

if I start injecting @ 2000rpm that means 33revolutions per second, the intake valves open onces every two revs meaning a cylinder can only accept air and water(in this case) 16.5 times x second that means that every cylinder can accept the amount available per second divided by the amount of times the valve opens every second. number wise

1.5cc/16.5 times the valve opens, meaning every time the valves opens the cylinder accepts 0.09cc of water.

i believe im on the safe side!

something interesting: 1gram of water vapor takes 1600 times more space than the same weight of liquid water.more volume, more piston pressure, more torque. water in cylinder less temp. water injection ROCKS!!!!

what do you guys think?

Reply #5March 17, 2011, 12:56:06 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:56:06 am »
I'd say crank the s*it out of the fuel screw till you begin to see some smoke.. No smoke means basically your EGT's probably aren't even worth caring about. You need to be rolling coal to get high EGT's

This is very interesting.

Reply #6March 17, 2011, 08:23:28 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 08:23:28 am »
I'd say crank the s*it out of the fuel screw till you begin to see some smoke.. No smoke means basically your EGT's probably aren't even worth caring about. You need to be rolling coal to get high EGT's

LIES. LOL. My Giles pump has virtually no smoke, but I have had it up to 1450F....Get a GAUGE

Reply #7March 18, 2011, 05:30:40 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 05:30:40 pm »

LIES. LOL. My Giles pump has virtually no smoke, but I have had it up to 1450F....Get a GAUGE

LIES x2!!

i siezed my engine, and my car wont smoke.. dont have a gauge.. but tell me that my exhaust was cool since it was clear?

Reply #8March 18, 2011, 06:50:21 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 06:50:21 pm »
I will rephrase. In my diesel travels over the last 3 years, I have not once seen anyone claim extraordinarily high egt's without smoke. How often are you making so much heat that it doesn't show by unburnt fuel?

Kev, maybe your engine seized for different reasons? If you didn't have a guage or smoke how do you know it was EGT related? There would be no evidence of high temps without the guage or smoke.

At this point am I safe to assume that you still are not running an intercooler Lucas? Maybe your high egts and no smoke are because the bottleneck of your engine is prior to the fuel being injected? Hot air being compressed in to hotter air?

I dunno, sorry for spreading nullified info, I was under the impression smoke meant high temps.

Reply #9March 18, 2011, 07:25:47 pm

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »
No smoke = lower EGT's

But I guess with ULSD it doesn't matter either way.. ?
1991 VW Golf Pasadena GTD - Yeah, it's awesome.

Reply #10March 19, 2011, 12:16:06 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 12:16:06 am »
I will rephrase. In my diesel travels over the last 3 years, I have not once seen anyone claim extraordinarily high egt's without smoke. How often are you making so much heat that it doesn't show by unburnt fuel?

Kev, maybe your engine seized for different reasons? If you didn't have a guage or smoke how do you know it was EGT related? There would be no evidence of high temps without the guage or smoke.

At this point am I safe to assume that you still are not running an intercooler Lucas? Maybe your high egts and no smoke are because the bottleneck of your engine is prior to the fuel being injected? Hot air being compressed in to hotter air?

I dunno, sorry for spreading nullified info, I was under the impression smoke meant high temps.

come up with an excuse better than the one i came up with?

i was running WOT for 2 miles, up hill. engine lost power at the top.. locked up.

what else, besides an overheated (over expanded) piston(s) would cause the engine to just lock up? then break free as soon as it cooled a bit?

Reply #11March 19, 2011, 12:40:11 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 12:40:11 am »
I dunno man, I don't see how you have high egt's without smoke. Lucas yours is completely different, you have a pump tuned for maximum power with as little loss as possible (smoke) on top of a free intake, and 3" exhaust. Kev I do believe you were running an n/a pump, on a diesel with stock exhaust? or was this the open DP?

I dunno what happened to your engine, without an EGT reading.. or smoke to even guess high egt.. We cannot say it was EGT related lol.

Reply #12March 19, 2011, 12:48:10 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 12:48:10 am »
I dunno man, I don't see how you have high egt's without smoke. Lucas yours is completely different, you have a pump tuned for maximum power with as little loss as possible (smoke) on top of a free intake, and 3" exhaust. Kev I do believe you were running an n/a pump, on a diesel with stock exhaust? or was this the open DP?

I dunno what happened to your engine, without an EGT reading.. or smoke to even guess high egt.. We cannot say it was EGT related lol.

n/a block, 25(ish)psi, cranked up fuel pump, no intercooler, open downpipe (>1' from the turbo outlet, to the end of the downpipe), yadda yadda...

anyway, yea, i figure that at 5200 rpms, i could be making 25psi with no smoke and still have dangerous (quite appearently) stack temps..

Reply #13April 03, 2011, 06:07:59 pm

Vitwagen

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 06:07:59 pm »
This is all weird... I can see 600Degs C (1100 F?) with an AAZ, all standard, with a bit of extra fuel, 8-9psi, with no smoke??

???

Reply #14April 03, 2011, 08:25:55 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 08:25:55 pm »
This is all weird... I can see 600Degs C (1100 F?) with an AAZ, all standard, with a bit of extra fuel, 8-9psi, with no smoke??

???

I'm with ROR and theman on this... I was running 10psi on my AAZ, fueling turned up so it was just a very slight haze at full boost, figuring I'd have no trouble with EGT's at that. I then put a gauge on and realized I would have been hitting 1400+ very regularly.
Advancing my timing brought the temps down a fair bit, so I'd check that, Vitwagen. I could still get it over 1200 though.

When I pulled my engine apart, I couldn't see any issues from running too hot... without a gauge is still playing with fire though

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Fixmyvw.com